RealLife Kerbal Stratosphere Program

bcOan2o.jpg

This Thread is about my Weatherballoon-Project, and what it takes to launch one.
Maybe I can inspire someone with this to do the same or at least bring it closer to each of you.
I have no experience in doing this, I have no degree (yet) but this project taught me alot.

Launch-date: 20. August 2016

I had no altimeter on the craft so I can only estimate the ceiling altitude.
I aimed for an average ascent rate of 5m/s and because I got 6330 seconds of footage from lift-off to balloon-deflation I end up with 31,650m give or take a few.

Full Playlist:

The Government (LBM) needed all these informations to give me a Permit:

1. Name, Adress, Phone-number, Email
  2. Location of the Launch (Adress is sufficient)
  3. Time and Date of the Launch
  4. Data about the Balloon
    - Material
    -Grossmass without Payload
    -Description of the Payload
    -Grossmass of the Payload
    -Field-density in g/cm² (Division of the Payload's Grossmass by the area in cm² of the smallest surface)
    -Ascend speed in m/s
    -Descend speed in m/s
    -Will a Parachute be used?
    -Which Gas will be used in the Balloon?
  5. Will the lines withstand a tension of 230N?
  6. Will the Field-density exceed 13g/cm² and a mass of 2kg?
  7. Max. Flight-Level in meters
  8. Purpose of the Flight
  9. Overall Vehicle length
  10. On-Board GPS?
  11. Signed agreement of the owners of the Launch-Site
  12. Contact-Data written on the Paylaod?
  13. Attach the Airtraffic-control permits (German Airtraffic-control Langen)

So while the bureau's were checking my numbers I started building a styrofoam-box, glued it all together and ran threads through the edges.

Spoiler

Ljp2QrQ.jpg

LATFx1Y.jpg

Meanwhile I watched videos on Youtube about how to deploy a Parachute in rarefied Air, gathered information on Parachute-designes, Parachute Material and how to sew it all together.

Turns out, the two most crucial things to concider is the Diameter of your Parachute and the Material to use.
So I went to Amazon and bought 2,5m² of a pink Ripstop-Fabric. I would have preferred black but pink is probably easier to sopt against the sky and when it lands in the woods or a field.

Spoiler

ePiFTXE.jpg

About the sewing, thanks mum for showing me around your old sewing machine :wink:
Seriously, ask someone who knows how they work, because a sewing machine is a crazy apparatus.
Once i got it all together, I punched some eyeleds in the edges and the middle beecause the parachute isnt just hanging attached to the ballon, but is part of the cord that runs from the payload to the ballon.
This way it will stay closed on the way up, and open on the way down, all by its own.

To make sure the damn thing actually opens, i strapped it behind my car and gave it a spin.

Putting holes in the box to stick a camera through is actually the easiest part.
You just want to make sure that you build a little frame inside so that your USB-Powerbank and Camera stay in place no matter how wildly the box spins around its axis.
It probably will when the Balloon pops.

Spoiler

aEY0Lmb.jpg

Vfpx9wp.jpg

The Kerbal on the Outside is Valentina which i strapped on a Ruler that I covered in duct-tape (in case it breaks so I dont lose her) and shoved it through the box and secured it on the inside with zip-ties
I actually reached out to @KasperVld if there was a discount coupon I could use for the Shapeways Shop and what I was about to do with it.
Turns out, not only got is Kasper excited about this Project but even Shapeways is curious if I could pull this off and they sent me a Kerbal for free.
So not only did I have this half-finished Project but I actually owed two companies to return the favour. :)

Spoiler

Zh4sEx0.jpg

Yeah, i have to admit, this whole thing is 90% makeshift from scrap that I got laying around, but I am very confident it will work.

Pre-Launch Preparations:
- spraypaint the Payloadbox in signal colors
- weighing everything (Parachute, Payload, Balloon) to get the Launch-mass
- build a 1.5x dummy-weight
- buy a few sets of rubber gloves
- inspect the balloon
- prelaunch full duration testrun of the electronics
- charge all batteries
- erase all flash-memories
- construct connection lines

Final touches
I removed the weight-spread-skin from the Balloon. This is a very thin latex-skin that is attached in a circel around the gas-inlet of the actual balloon. With a bigger payload you would attach it to this skin to keep the weight away from the rather fragile neck of the balloon.
But because my Payload is only ~1300grams i ll put it on the neck where I also put the gas in. It even saves 600grams total weight and 1000 Liters of helium.

Spoiler

QoBjj7B.jpg

I also went on and spaypainted the Payload-box just in case it will land in a forest so we have a bit more contrast to the environment with orange than the original grey.

Spoiler

3r1IgCl.jpg

Launchdate-Weather and Wind Prediction:

Spoiler

d5zQhnx.jpg

Weather looks great, a few clouds are great to get an idea for height at the first kilometers, wind is also good around and below 5m/s. Only rain could stop me, but 20% chance of rain, I guess i can live with.

Which brings us to a predicted flightpath like this:
kSYexDg.jpg

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

3 hours ago, Brownhair2 said:

The person who has this land in their yard is going to be so confused

There is actually a web-tool where you can plug in your numbers and it will give you a predicted Flightpath.

http://predict.habhub.org/

Is that a helium inflatable? Or is that a model strapped to a weather balloon?

Either way, looks awesome!

Weather ballon, yup :)

Germany has a rather regid regulations due to the high population density which makes private space flight impossible. I am even surprised that they allow such things as weather balloons, Anyway, great work and I am keen on seeing the results.

Keep on going!

Edited by Carraux

On 30.6.2016 at 3:43 AM, waterlubber said:

Needs more boosters, ha.

Not sure about Germany's regulations on the matter, but you could probably set up a VHF transmitter and local amateurs in the area would likely relay any signal they receive, if you wanted a live feed.

Germany's regulations are pretty strict when it comes to radio transmitters and they even can tri-angulate your position when you are interfeering with the radio on an airport.
So I think that is out of the question, but I like the idea of a live feed. It's just not worth the effort, sadly.

On 30.6.2016 at 11:48 AM, Carraux said:

Germany has a rather regid regulations due to the high population density which makes private space flight impossible. I am even surprised that they allow such things as weather balloons, Anyway, great work and I am keen on seeing the results.

Keep on going!

Actually I think they even encourage you to use the airspace as long as you are not violating other peoples privacy or restricted airspace.

On a personal note:

Does anybody know where to buy a 1600 - 2000gramm Weatherballoon in Germany or Europe?
The shop that I wanted to use "Stratoxx" is broken and "Stratoflight" is excessively expensive for what they supply.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a supplier for balloons but I am struggeling with the permits and I am not buying the expensive stuff before I am actually allowed to launch it.
Germany's Bureaucracy is the worst :wink:

Therefore I sadly have to scrub the launch and postpone it to the 20th of August.

30 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Sounds like you totally got this, good luck!

You got a rough idea how far this could travel?

It really depends on the rate of ascent, wind, max. altitude and rate of descent. BUT, there is calculator for this that takes the weatherdata into account and gives you a nice prediction:

http://predict.habhub.org/

So I have put in all my data from time to time and it turned out that it might travel up to 300km in the worst case.
On a nice day, with a slight wind to the east, I might actually be able to stay in a 50km radius because as the balloon drifts off into the east in the lower atmosphere. The Stratosphere thins out and slows down quite alot so that the Balloon more or less "stands still" horizontally while it is still ascending and the Earth rotates beneath it to the east and my launch-site catches up with it.

You see the same behaviour in KSP sometimes :wink:

If it lands in my garden, i will send it back =p don't worry XD. 

Cool project. I have always wanted to do this but just never did. I am looking forwards to seeing the pictures. 

Also a suggestion, maybe you could stick one of those Kerbal figures onto the package. That would be quite funny.

Any way good luck!

Just now, worir4 said:

If it lands in my garden, i will send it back =p don't worry XD. 

Cool project. I have always wanted to do this but just never did. I am looking forwards to seeing the pictures. 

Also a suggestion, maybe you could stick one of those Kerbal figures onto the package. That would be quite funny.

Any way good luck!

Thanks mate :wink:

Actually I intend to to that, you have to open all the "spoiler-tabs" :wink:
aEY0Lmb.jpg

I received my Launch-Permit yesterday and I am very happy about it.

The only thing that is actually missing right now is the "ok" of the Airtraffic control and I am trying to get in touch with them regularly.
Kinda frustrating but I am hopeful that they will respond. I am pretty sure they dont want UFO's lifting off in their Area :wink:

Well finally someone is doing this and the reason is - you're doing it yourself and not relying on several people scattered across the planet. It requires money, of course.

I've tried to start a community project with the same purpose, but it failed miserably because people did not get along.

If you need any help, just ask. :)

P.S.: Hydrogen is totally OK if you ground yourself and the whole equipment. Not really needed, it's an overkill, but hey...

Hydrogen balloons are being released by a truckload every day. Each country releases several, daily.

On 7/14/2016 at 5:03 PM, monstah said:

This post just made me search for the brazilian legislation on amateur rocket launching. Which is inexistent, obviously...

There are some common law practices regarding the takeoff mass and flight ceiling. I'm not sure, but I think it's 500 g and 1 km, but I'm really not sure.

Each country must has laws that govern these things.

Edited by lajoswinkler

14 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

There are some common law practices regarding the takeoff mass and flight ceiling. I'm not sure, but I think it's 500 g and 1 km, but I'm really not sure.

Each country must has laws that govern these things.

Well, there's regulations for fireworks. Not the same, but at least I can lift something. I'm pretty sure any liquid engine is out of question, tho.

I once found this blog about space and the Brazilian Space Agency (yeah, that's a thing) and stuff. They gathered people a couple times to discuss and suggest to the space agency regulations for amateurism (judging by what I read, it seems even the agency's president was present), but I don't think it went further. The last post I can find on the subject is from 2013, and the blog keeps being updated.

1 hour ago, monstah said:

Well, there's regulations for fireworks. Not the same, but at least I can lift something. I'm pretty sure any liquid engine is out of question, tho.

I once found this blog about space and the Brazilian Space Agency (yeah, that's a thing) and stuff. They gathered people a couple times to discuss and suggest to the space agency regulations for amateurism (judging by what I read, it seems even the agency's president was present), but I don't think it went further. The last post I can find on the subject is from 2013, and the blog keeps being updated.

Fireworks, yes, probably, but I was referring to the amateur rockets. There are laws governing such flight. If we in Croatia have them, you in Brazil probably have them, too.

And yes, we also have a space agency. LOL

On 21.7.2016 at 1:36 PM, lajoswinkler said:

Well finally someone is doing this and the reason is - you're doing it yourself and not relying on several people scattered across the planet. It requires money, of course.

I've tried to start a community project with the same purpose, but it failed miserably because people did not get along.

If you need any help, just ask. :)

P.S.: Hydrogen is totally OK if you ground yourself and the whole equipment. Not really needed, it's an overkill, but hey...

Hydrogen balloons are being released by a truckload every day. Each country releases several, daily.

Thanks for the help but i think I am fine. I dont mind to keep this project going for a longer period of time because i have to learn something by myself.
It actually boosts your knowledge even further and thats what I was aiming for by doing this in the first place.
But yeah, thank you very much :)

I am curious and wondering if hydrogen is actually that closely regulated in germany.
I thought it was not only a fire-hazard but also a danger to the airspace.
But because the airspace would be cleared anyway for my balloon it wouldnt actually matter AND I could reach a even higher altitude by using hydrogen instead of helium because i would need less gas for the same lift with putting less stress on the balloon as it expands.
I believe It would also be far cheaper, because it can be produced. Instead of helium which comes either out of a nuclear reactor or mostly as a by-product from oil-extraction.

I have to investigate :D Maybe for future launches.

I limited myself to a budget of 1000€ for this project and I am far away from exceeding it, but every bargain is appreciated :wink:

Edit: Oh, and I will oder the balloon next week and go shopping for a nice bottle of freshly picked helium :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:
The supplier for the ballon emailed me today, that he sent out the order and attached the delivery-tracing.

The helium will be bought the day before launch because it is a very flighty gas and I fear that most of it will have vented from the closed gas-bottle if i buy it long beforehand.

I've felt like doing something like this for years but there's no one around my area that has weather balloons. The only place that uses them within a 50 mile radius of my house is a professional weather station. Plus, if I launched a weather balloon around where I live, there's a good chance it will land in a forest and I'll never get it again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.