deleted

ForsakenVoyager

yea.. mouse and keyboard wont work.  fte just confirmed that for me on fb.   that makes me nervous as hell.   it is highly limited in what it can do..  and i play a hell of alot of ps4 lol  

and lack of dV readout might even make me desperate enough to build a duplicate rocket on pc lol

Edited by DD_bwest

I hope Squad makes a separate section and subreddit for console players, and those who do purchase the game on console treat it maturely.

The control scheme and game will be so, completely different that segregating general and gameplay tutorials will help a lot. I'd hate to see this community die because it brings in an inrush of the classic immaturity crowd, although I'd figure that fairly unliky considering the game has such a steep learning curve.

Mods, too, are a huge part of the PC game. Although implementing it for consoles can lead to such horrors as the Besthesda modding community, where death threats for not porting a mod to console are quite common D:

Edited by waterlubber
Spelling

31 minutes ago, ForsakenVoyager said:

Just because a person plays on console doesn't meant they are immature. ? And just because a person plays on PC makes them mature? Not trying to start a war at all but I don't understand this.

I know many people think KSP will be hard to play with a controller, but I feel the same about a keyboard and mouse. Simply because it's what I'm use to. 

I totally agree that console and PC need separate spots on the forum. Just because they will be a little different. I suggested this also a long time ago when I first came here. 

No, but generally speaking consoles have a less mature playerbase. Not saying that PC's is much better (introducing such wonderful communities such as CS:GO and LOL), but given what I've seen on bethesda.net and even other games that got console ports it can get pretty bad.

Scott Manley already got to test a console version months ago (it might have been the XBox one). He said he was pleasantly surprised just how well things work with the controller, and sees no issues at all in regards to the control scheme.

You can find it in a video on his youtube channel (don't expect to see much of the game itself though, as it was a while ago and they couldn't show much).

1 hour ago, Violent Jeb said:

going from nearly infinite to 1000x1000  862 X 862 X (a world height of) 256

That was for Xbox 360, Wii U, and PS 3 Minecraft. Minecraft for the PS 4 and Xbox 1 has three world sizes, with the largest "large" size being 5120 X 5120 X (a world height of) 256, or 6710886400 blocks total in the game world. KSP for those two consoles should run fine by those standards, especially with the "forced stock" feature that comes with all non-Fallout-4 console games. For the delayed (I wonder if it is due to laggard performance reasons) Wii U version, we'll just have to wait and gaze.

19 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

No offense to anyone buying this for ANY console, but this game is going to be a hell of a lot different than PC in terms of controls. I can only hope it isn't too different or hard.

Oddly enough, I've often wanted a console controller for docking.  Not sure I'd use it for anything else.  Count me as another one who will certainly recommend the game for PC(/Linux/Mac/whatever) over consoles if it doesn't have mods.

The idea that this game will likely sell better on consoles without mods just feels weird.  Prepare to explain (over and over) how to do the rocket equation with a calculator.  Prepare for gamers to jump ship when they hear it (the fact that most PC players, including myself, prefer KE/mechjeb to do it for us (or just don't bother with delta-v) leaves us no room to complain about that).

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

Oddly enough, I've often wanted a console controller for docking.  Not sure I'd use it for anything else.  Count me as another one who will certainly recommend the game for PC(/Linux/Mac/whatever) over consoles if it doesn't have mods.

The idea that this game will likely sell better on consoles without mods just feels weird.  Prepare to explain (over and over) how to do the rocket equation with a calculator.  Prepare for gamers to jump ship when they hear it (the fact that most PC players, including myself, prefer KE/mechjeb to do it for us (or just don't bother with delta-v) leaves us no room to complain about that).

You don't need any delta vee mods to play KSP. In my 0.90 career save, I had not one mod, and I successfully did things such as landing on Ike, landing on Duna, several dockings including docking a 4-port-at-once connection to add the solar panels I forgot to add to previously add to a space station ready to be sent to Laythe (I hadn't unlocked the Senior ports yet, so I decided to go for a multi-port connection, which I happened to need to use), sending a space station to Laythe orbit and bringing back the Interplanetary Transfer Ship that brought it there to Kerbin, building a 5 ton 3-stage-to-orbit rover-jetpack, using the same ship that just got back from Laythe to bring that rover-jetpack to Dres (after said ship was refueled), landing on Dres twice with said jetpack before ditching the empty jetpack and bringing its kerbals home with said Interplanetary Transfer Ship, capturing an asteroid (accidentally into a retrograde Kerbin orbit), switching the direction of said asteroid's orbit to prograde with a second craft I brought to its retrograde orbit and lowering its apoapsis through aerobraking, docking a beautiful space station that wrapped around the asteroid in LKO, and sending two probes to Jool, one of which ran out of fuel and was ejected by Tylo into an extremely eccentric solar orbit diving close to the sun, while the other I added extra fuel that allowed it to land on Bop on an extreme slope, using the .625 meter engine attached to a 1.25 meter fuel tank on the extra fuel tank I had added for it to not fall over (but Bop was too serene and beautiful at the time for me to take it off from). I also landed a spaceplane on Laythe, which didn't have enough fuel because I hadn't unlocked turbojets (it used basic ones) and because and it was untested on Kerbin except in agility tests

Was that horrendous run-on-sentence and that extra tidbit enough to show that KSP on consoles should be fine without a delta vee readout?  (sorry, that sentence did come out a bit rude, I apologize for it) Some people have become too reliant on delta vee mods, but newer players on consoles may find their ways to do without it just by playing sans the option of using one. That is of course only until a delta vee readout is added in stock (if it ever is), but until then, many a player shall be fine without it.

If you can plug numbers into a calculator (or use a sliderule, I'm not picky), you can usually find out how much delta-v you have.  I like side-dropped kickbacks, which make the calculations difficult, but could probably come up with a descent approximation.  I would much rather know the delta-v as I quickly built a rocket like the way KE tells me.

I suspect most players will want mods.  They will hear about delta-v and wonder why they are allowed to know how much delta-v a burn takes (and how much is left) but not how much is left in the rocket.  The will see a youtube with scatterer(?) and chatterer and wonder why vanilla KSP is less exciting.  They will want that *one* (or more) part that is missing.  But really, I suspect that the worst of these is the delta-v.

It is a common refrain for consoles.  I can't begin to recommend one of my favorite games of all time (Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion) because it is so incredibly broken out of the box and *needs* mods to fix it (there are also tons of mods to improve it, but the character advancement is *broken*.  There are also plenty of bugs fixed by the community).  I suppose Squad merely has to look at Minecraft.  If that (extremely mod heavy) game can live without mods, presumably so can KSP.  I just can't recommend playing it there.

I'm surprised it is so soon... I'd have put money that it would not be released on consoles until a token multiplayer was tacked on. 

Lack of mods won't be that big of a problem. I've played most of the game so far without them*, and I can't even spell Delta V. It is possible, and fun just to brute force your rocket designs. Over-engineering is not a dirty word... ah.. I mean a dirty compound word.

* Although not having a docking alignment indicator or KAC is going to be painful. 

Edited by Tourist

It might bring on a completely different kenect based control system..why?

Having a plane on the runway bounce until it explodes due to wheels will have a follow on effect in the realworld..where the control pad attemps rentry with the floor, then bounces until it explodes

followed by arm waving and screaming.. 

Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.