Cant land on Jool

coldrain112

http://www.history.com/shows/the-universe/videos/shoemaker-levy-impact

Jool is supposed to be Jupiter, it's a gas planet with no solid core, which is interesting, given it's mass and density, it should have a tiny amount of solid or liquid mass in it's core.
I think Jool could use a small asteroid-sized solid core IMHO.

Edited by Xyphos

3 hours ago, Xyphos said:

http://www.history.com/shows/the-universe/videos/shoemaker-levy-impact

Jool is supposed to be Jupiter, it's a gas planet with no solid core, which is interesting, given it's mass and density, it should have a tiny amount of solid or liquid mass in it's core.

The solid core should be Duna to Kerbin sized if its an scaled down Jupiter. However visual it should be an unreachable visible surface 1-10 km below the destruction point. 
Now the center is transparent 

• 4 months later...

I don't get why in a V1.x game it doesn't have a legit mechanic for being a surface-less planet. Instead you get see thru planet and insta-splode, and threat of save game corruption....  insta-splode would be ok if it were written off as pressure or anything but "collided with cloud" and you didn't see the galaxy beyond....

(OK, I did a descent on 1.2.2 and it does say "Collided with Jool" now, but still...)

Edited by tg626

On 1.07.2016 at 7:05 AM, ShadowZone said:

I've been thinking: since Jool's atmosphere is so thick, would it perhaps be possible to create a vehicle that can infinitely float at around 0m? I am thinking about a combination of a lot of wings and parachutes...

A blimp. There are mods for that.

Would be really cool (possibly literally) to be able to splash down on a liquid core. Since the sun is coded as the same class of body as Jool, maybe if they implemented them as ocean-covered planets we could even technically splash down on the surface of the sun...

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

I have really, really wanted the ability to do intensive long-term science in Jool's atmosphere. That's one of my biggest disappointments with the planets, actually--I believe we ought to be able to send adequately heatshielded and pressure-tolerant probes to survive a Jool entry and descent into its upper atmosphere for sample and data gathering. :( Imagine how much kerbals would learn about their solar system! About planet formation! About themselves!!

No and no.  Yeah, going to need a fair bit of dV - orbital velocity looks to be 4330m/s.  Even more fun - imagine slowing from orbital velocity to rendezvous and dock with the floating science lab with VTOL thrust...

Edited by fourfa

On 7/25/2016 at 6:02 AM, Xyphos said:

The thing with the cores of gas giants is that they're only not gaseous because of the enormous pressures exerted on them from the weight of the rest of the atmosphere. It's likely to be an incredibly long time (probably a century or two at least) before we can prove first-hand that Jupiter or other gas giants even have solid or liquid cores, because creating a vessel that can survive those pressures without being annihilated is a challenge far beyond most exploratory challenges that the solar system will present. The technology in KSP ranges from the beginning of the space age to near-future technologies of the sort we'll be seeing in the next couple of decades. That in no way approaches the level of technological advancement that is likely to occur by the time we can even send a suicide probe directly to the core of a gas giant without it being pulverized by the atmosphere. The fact that Jool's atmosphere destroys all vehicles that approach its core is realistic considering the level of technological advancement of the kerbals.

On 20.12.2016 at 1:06 AM, tg626 said:

I don't get why in a V1.x game it doesn't have a legit mechanic for being a surface-less planet. Instead you get see thru planet and insta-splode, and threat of save game corruption....  insta-splode would be ok if it were written off as pressure or anything but "collided with cloud" and you didn't see the galaxy beyond....

(OK, I did a descent on 1.2.2 and it does say "Collided with Jool" now, but still...)

The lack of surface was a shock the first time I followed some stuff down, first some graphical effect with black edges then the area below became black and you can see Jool muns below. 
They could simply used an visible ground 2.4 km below below the kill layer who is below the 0 attitude marker, on sun the kill layer was well above the visible surface. 
The temperature will kill you anyway its very hot at 0 attitude at Jool and no way to get rid of the heat.

4 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Current pressure mechanics would take care of deep divers

I think the pressure gradient of Jool should be steeper honestly. It should rapidly increase beyond the current pressure limit a few kilometers above zero altitude.

I also think it would be nice for different parts to have different pressure limits. Therefore the more sensitive equipment (like probe cores and batteries) would fail early - unless you stick it in a service bay or something similar to protect it.

Edited by eloquentJane

12 minutes ago, suicidejunkie said:

What if there were a Monolith floating in Jool somewhere you could ~carefully~ land on?

...and I remember seeing some screenshots of it. Not on Jool, but in its orbit. I don't know if it's still present in 1.2.

One problem: it's entirely unmarked. Finding it is... a challenge :)

2 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

What if there were a Monolith floating in Jool somewhere you could ~carefully~ land on?

2 hours ago, Sharpy said:

...and I remember seeing some screenshots of it. Not on Jool, but in its orbit. I don't know if it's still present in 1.2.

One problem: it's entirely unmarked. Finding it is... a challenge :)

Second issue being that monoliths lack colliders, meaning you phase through them. So even if you did find it, you still couldn't land on it. But maybe a memorial to (idk) the Apollo 1 astronauts could placed on the surface for people to pinpoint land on?

11 hours ago, Sharpy said:

IMO the most sense would be not to make it surface-less, just a 100% ocean planet with very non-buoyant sea. Current pressure mechanics would take care of deep divers :)

Pressure mechanics would take care of it if they removed the option to have parts destroyed when pressure limits are exceeded and made that mandatory instead.  As long as that option can be disabled(even if it was only through the cheat menu), they need something else to prevent you from going below a certain altitude.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.