How to configure wheels individually in [1.1.3] ?

Hi, 

I have a rover for which I used symmetry for the wheel placement. However, I cannot invert the motors individually and therefore the rover cannot really move. How do I configure the wheels individually and without the symmetry partner being configured too ?

PS: Please dont tell me thats not possible because that would be ridiculously unpleasant for gameplay and construction.

I was messing with this myself in ver 1.1.0 when I was trying to fix the wheels on one of my rovers (that was built in 1.0.5). With Alt-right clicking or adding shift or control or some combination of keys, you are supposed to be able to break symmetry and individually select things -- so that you can change individual settings. But that didn't work very well at all in that version. I could partially do it then, but I ended up modifying the settings on 3 out of 4 wheels or some damned thing.

I haven't tested that part of it since then.

However, in the end I found I was being stupid in the first place. All I needed to do to fix the rover wheels was select a proper "control from here" point on my rover. Hopefully you have more than one choice on yours -- you either need multiple probe cores, or docking ports, or klaws.

Edited by bewing

HI, thanks for the answer. I do have mutilple points from which to control the thing. However, since my wheels were placed diagonally with symmetry, nothing works. Either they diagonally spin in opposite directions or they steer in opposite directions. It is so ridiculously infuriating that you cannot set their mode individually.

I will go looking for a mod regarding this, any suggestions ?

5 hours ago, mark-o-solo said:

HI, thanks for the answer. I do have mutilple points from which to control the thing. However, since my wheels were placed diagonally with symmetry, nothing works. Either they diagonally spin in opposite directions or they steer in opposite directions. It is so ridiculously infuriating that you cannot set their mode individually.

I will go looking for a mod regarding this, any suggestions ?

There's no reason they shouldn't be correctly symmetrical.

Unless you're using VAB symmetry, which is rotational, not mirror. If that's the problem, there are two ways to fix it:

1: build your rover in the SPH instead; the default symmetry is what you want there. You can then open the completed rover in the VAB and buld the rocket down from there, if you have to.

2: Switch symmetry modes by pressing "R". Need to think ahead here, though - if you already have parts in rotational symmetry, any new parts placed on them will inherit their symmetry mode, so you still need to start with symmetry in mind.

There is a mod to break symmetry, but I don't know if it's up to date. And it might be more trouble than it's worth if symmetry mode fixes it.

EDIT:  forgot to mention: the mirror symmetry plane in the SPH is for a rover driving out the door.  In the VAB, the rover needs to drive parallel to the door.

Edited by pincushionman

I guess that I forgot to clarify this: Is your primary problem in just building the nasty little rovers so that their wheels work? Or do you have an actual rover already on a distant world that is stranded because its wheels are borked?

Pincushionman gave the right answer if it's just a question of building them. Build it in the SPH, test it on the runway, then transfer it to the VAB and integrate it with the rocket.

Yea, I have a rover stuck on the mun.

While I totally agree that symmetry is important, it is just as important to be able to break it manually. Particularly for stuff like setting the dampers or similar. The way players are currently limited by the symmetry is just unacceptable imho.

Did you try using Alt clicking on your rover on the Mun to break symmetry, as I suggested? (Just open all the wheels' context menus at the same time, and change the settings in one, and see what happens?)

Edited by bewing

Yes I did, I can open the windows of all four wheels simultaneously, but I cannot control them individually. Luckily, I still had a seat installed, and with a kerbal inside, the symmetry changes accordingly, but still its a huge inconvenience to not be able to steer the wheels individually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.