Rover wheels not occluding under fairings/cargo bays.

At lest that's what I'm reasonably sure is happening after troubleshooting the whole afternoon. I've tried cargo bays, I've tried fairings. According to the in-game debug menu, they still generate drag, and if that wasn't proof enough... well, in those pics the wheels are inside a cargo bay, which is itself inside of a fairing.

iY90OKh.png

FxPdpV5.png

I do run mods, as the pics evidence (not that many, actually) but to my knowledge none of them should come even close to touching wheels or occlusion (no wheel mods, no fairing mods, in fact, no part mods other than roverdude's LS stuff and KIS parts). 1.1.3, of course, under win7. Was there something about wheel fixes in the last patch notes? :rolleyes:

Rune. I wonder if it's related to some fix for the buggy 1.1 wheels.

12 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

It looks like wheels aren't occluded from drag, as you say, possibly due to the layer they are on.

If you could post this (sans mods) to the tracker that would help Rune.

Thank you.

That would imply a new install, but I'll see what I can do. Maybe even whip up a couple test ships, I haven't tried every possible configuration yet, just a couple of ships I had lying around after finally figuring out it was the cargo that was making me think something had changed with 1.1.3 drag.

Rune. In the end I just said "to heck with it" and used an overpowered booster on an inefficiently steep trajectory to move my save forward.

'K, let's do this properly:

KSP Version: v1.1.3.1289 Windows 64-bit

What Happens: Wheels not getting occluded by either fairings or cargo bays.

Mods / Add-Ons: All Stock

Steps to Replicate:

1) Put a wheel in any placement where it should be occluded.

2) Fly it and notice it is still generating drag.

Result: Rovers are much harder to get to orbit.

Fixes/Workarounds:

- Brute-forcing it with extra dV?

Other Notes/Pictures/Log Files:

- Images Link: http://imgur.com/a/a4nDr

Test setup was simple, just open the aero debug menu and throw up a few designs with a variety of cargo bays/fairings, mounted on an I-beam so I could make sure the bay was indeed occluding some stuff. As a bonus, I got them to go fast enough to show heat bars, just to make sure. Oh, and it's not just rover wheels, all wheels are affected.

Rune. As to the bug tracker, I'm looking at it right now, and thinking someone is going to have to explain to me how that thing works. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rune

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

Well you need an account, after that you click 'new issue' on this page, you can copy your post in, and images/files can be attached.

I can confirm the issue and the devs can work on it, hopefully for 1.2

'K, done. It's #10076, and I hope I did a good job of it. :) I have a feeling it'll be slain with like, one line of code or something.

Rune. Until then, moar boosters.

• 4 weeks later...

Some further additions to this, which I've found on various threads and test.

Apparently the bug is not restricted to wheels, landing gear and kerbals on seat are also affected in the same manner. Figuring it was also happening to kerbals took some serendipity, but a ship from @Cupcake... showed it pretty clearly the other day. I'll head on to the tracker and add the info to it too, if I can remember my login.

Rune. Hope this gets fixed in time for 1.2!

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2016 at 1:37 PM, Rune said:

Just wanted to leave notice that this bug is still going strong in 1.2, with behavior unchanged.

I have noticed very high drag values when kerbals are inside bays/fairings and should be shielded, in both 1.1.3 and 1.2.0pre, but I'm getting conflicting results about heat.

Posted some results in this album. I'll add the pic with the visible drag arrows in your bug report, for confirmation.

5 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I have noticed very high drag values when kerbals are inside bays/fairings and should be shielded, in both 1.1.3 and 1.2.0pre, but I'm getting conflicting results about heat.

Posted some results in this album. I'll add the pic with the visible drag arrows in your bug report, for confirmation.

Actually, your album shows heat gauges on both kerbals in the second-to-last pic, so I think we can confirm that the bug still keeps on affecting kerbals, they are not occluded like landing gear or wheels, and you would have fried them if you went faster. The reason you couldn't is because you were using low temp. rating parts near the nose, and they blew up before the kerbals  did.

Rune. In any case, thanks for the confirmation!

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Actually, your album shows heat gauges on both kerbals in the second-to-last pic

The heat gages/bars are actually from two PB-NUK RTGs that are clipped in one of the tanks behind the kerbals, a bit hard to make out from that angle. Just look at the thermal details in the menus: they never deviated more than a few degrees from the starting values.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

The reason you couldn't is because you were using low temp. rating parts near the nose, and they blew up before the kerbals  did.

2000/2000 for the RC-001S probe core, which was the first to blow up, has higher thermal tolerance than a kerbal (800/800). The kerbals should've poofed before that. They didn't because they remained at around 300K the whole time.

Just to compare I went and redid the flight, but with the command seats out on top of the plane. With clear results:

Spoiler

NG03ozA.png

So heat and drag are not treated equal. Drag still happens in the cargo bay, heat doesn't.

Edited by swjr-swis
pic added

2 hours ago, Claw said:

We found the source of the issue, so should be all fixed up for fairings and cargo bays.

Cheers,
~Claw

Thanks guys! I'll just make sure @Cupcake... knows, it'll make his day. :)

Rune. Did it go 'splat' or 'crunch' when you squashed it?

10 hours ago, Claw said:

We found the source of the issue, so should be all fixed up for fairings and cargo bays.

Cheers,
~Claw

Pretty please tell me this includes Kerbals seated in materials/cargo bays! :kiss:

Cupcake...

42Y6I4E.jpg

Edited by Cupcake...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.