How long does it take you to reenter? Data needed for soundtrack mod

Can you help out?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Can you help out by reentering a craft on your normal procedure, timing when you enter the atmosphere (When warp stops), when charring starts, and timing when you reach 300m?

• yes! - I'll do it and report back w/data
    • No. - Can't/won't help out
    • Rutabega

Hey guys, Avera9eJoe here.

I'm making a music pack for this mod and I need to know when to cut the 20 songs in my reentry playlist so they build correctly on reentry. I'm curious how long it takes you to reenter starting when the altimeter begins to drop and ending at 300m when chutes open by default. Please time using a real time clock go completely by your usual procedures, physics warp and all. I'd also like to know when charring starts after the altimeter drops. If some of you could launch a craft and reenter from whatever altitude you usually stop at, I would love all the information I can get. I'll site everyone who helps in the ReadMe as well. All music is going to be CC from jahzzar. The source material is about 2.43 GB of music but the end result will be considerably less, still with upwards of 15 songs per each major playlist (Most currently have 30, will need to cut the number in half).

Please if you could answer I'd love all the info possible.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

8 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

About half an hour, apparently ( note that a) that overshot, and b) some way to go to land still so they balance out somewhat ).

Many thanks. This is great info to have. Spaceplanes are going to be inside the same playlist parameters as conventional rockets so it's important to note how much longer it takes them. Your name will be noted :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

About thirty minutes for a space plane... and that's if I've done my math correct.

About twenty minutes for standard capsule... I keep the reentry level at a 45 to 60 degree angle so once I hit the upper atmosphere... it goes pretty quick.

Wouldn't this be heavily affected by part-count?  I think "time" is going to be a fairly difficult thing to get an objective measure of.   :\  My 4 part capsule is going to recover a whole lot more quickly than my moon lander with 15 parachutes and 20 science gizmos plastered on the side.

It would be nice if the *whole* song could be included, and if you could just jump ahead to "Bridge/Climax" when heating starts being illustrated, though you'd have to save each song as 2 separate tracks.

24 minutes ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

Wouldn't this be heavily affected by part-count?  I think "time" is going to be a fairly difficult thing to get an objective measure of.   :\  My 4 part capsule is going to recover a whole lot more quickly than my moon lander with 15 parachutes and 20 science gizmos plastered on the side.

It would be nice if the *whole* song could be included, and if you could just jump ahead to "Bridge/Climax" when heating starts being illustrated, though you'd have to save each song as 2 separate tracks.

I'd love to do it that way but I'm afraid would be far more complicated than just saving as two tracks. It would need to be saved as one track with markers for places it can repeat or nest. I suppose you could call the climax when you reach your fastest speed and begin slowing down and use that to set up a song cut in-game, but I don't know if the soundtrack mod doesn't have a parameter like that yet and I doubt it would be easily configurable. It would need a song scrubber (sounds like a nightmare to make) and a clock w/ a tool to mark points as repeatable or cut-able. And then a tool to call which one to cut to and when xD. Sadly no "warthog run" style modular reentry theme in this case. That kind of thing requires studio level work to turn out good. I would have the time and experience (I'm studying for film and already play percussion), but I lack the means and mod requirements. :(. Read the annotations on this video if you don't know what I mean by cut-able/nesting/repeat.

Edited by Avera9eJoe
Elch all the edits. I try to explain myself and fail miserably sometimes

19 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I'd love to do it that way but I'm afraid would be far more complicated than just saving as two tracks. It would need to be saved as one track with markers for places it can repeat or nest. I suppose you could call the climax when you reach your fastest speed and begin slowing down and use that to set up a song cut in-game, but I don't know if the soundtrack mod doesn't have a parameter like that yet and I doubt it would be easily configurable. Also still there isn't a way to mark sections in a song as repeatable or cut-able. Sadly no "warthog run" style modular reentry theme in this case. That kind of thing requires studio level work to turn out good. I would have the time and experience (I'm studying for film and already play percussion), but I lack the means and mod requirements. :(. Read the annotations on this video if you don't know what I mean by cut-able/nesting/repeat.

Just a thought, but would there be a way to link to major changes in atmospheric effect within the game to a MIDI controller that is set up to play certain instances depending on the input from the atmospheric effects data coming from the game itself?

It would involve a standalone MIDI software package (many free online) and a means for the package to see changes in the atmospheric effects being generated within the game

Possible?

Ok. Just to do something meaningfull: reentry of an MK1-2 from 13k km, pe 25km: 4min48.90sec, of wich 30sec coasting from 300m to the ground. No timewarp. Want timewarp ?

sorry, that was the cat.

55 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Just a thought, but would there be a way to link to major changes in atmospheric effect within the game to a MIDI controller that is set up to play certain instances depending on the input from the atmospheric effects data coming from the game itself?

It would involve a standalone MIDI software package (many free online) and a means for the package to see changes in the atmospheric effects being generated within the game

Possible?

I wouldn't know. It'd be a question for @pizzaoverhead, but I really don't want to bother the busy man :(. He's got a lot he's working on and I'd hate to pile on more questions.

21 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Ok. Just to do something meaningfull: reentry of an MK1-2 from 13k km, pe 25km: 4min48.90sec, of wich 30sec coasting from 300m to the ground. No timewarp. Want timewarp ?

sorry, that was the cat.

That's all I need, thanks :) - Also I can't tell you how many times my cat's walked over my own keyboard lol

Edited by Avera9eJoe

11 hours ago, GarrisonChisholm said:

11 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I'd love to do it that way but I'm afraid would be far more complicated than just saving as two tracks. It would need to be saved as one track with markers for places it can repeat or nest. I suppose you could call the climax when you reach your fastest speed and begin slowing down and use that to set up a song cut in-game, but I don't know if the soundtrack mod doesn't have a parameter like that yet and I doubt it would be easily configurable. It would need a song scrubber (sounds like a nightmare to make) and a clock w/ a tool to mark points as repeatable or cut-able. And then a tool to call which one to cut to and when xD. Sadly no "warthog run" style modular reentry theme in this case. That kind of thing requires studio level work to turn out good. I would have the time and experience (I'm studying for film and already play percussion), but I lack the means and mod requirements. :(. Read the annotations on this video if you don't know what I mean by cut-able/nesting/repeat.

Nice idea! You could do it with individual tracks like the below video demonstrates. The next big update for Soundtrack Editor is about making the first few steps towards that goal. You make a separate playlist for each section of the loop, and decide what circumstances cause it to change between them. Programs like Audacity are good for finding loops and splitting them out into different files. The mod could potentially use time markers to use one file as multiple tracks, but figuring out these time markers already requires external tools, so you're probably better off sticking to splitting the tracks in your audio editor.

10 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Possible?

That's definitely something that a mod could be written to do. Soundtrack Editor is using something similar to this to play tracks from inside Unity rather than a MIDI controller, but there's nothing stopping you from setting it up like that. You could do it either way. MIDI keyboard as a vessel control panel? :)

9 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I wouldn't know. It'd be a question for @pizzaoverhead, but I really don't want to bother the busy man :(. He's got a lot he's working on and I'd hate to pile on more questions.

That's all I need, thanks :) - Also I can't tell you how many times my cat's walked over my own keyboard lol

The questions are perfectly fine, it's the awesome new features people come up with that keep adding up :wink:

47 minutes ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Nice idea! You could do it with individual tracks like the below video demonstrates. The next big update for Soundtrack Editor is about making the first few steps towards that goal. You make a separate playlist for each section of the loop, and decide what circumstances cause it to change between them. Programs like Audacity are good for finding loops and splitting them out into different files. The mod could potentially use time markers to use one file as multiple tracks, but figuring out these time markers already requires external tools, so you're probably better off sticking to splitting the tracks in your audio editor.

That's definitely something that a mod could be written to do. Soundtrack Editor is using something similar to this to play tracks from inside Unity rather than a MIDI controller, but there's nothing stopping you from setting it up like that. You could do it either way. MIDI keyboard as a vessel control panel? :)

The questions are perfectly fine, it's the awesome new features people come up with that keep adding up :wink:

That's exactly what I was thinking about! But well um... it's still in a smaller scale from what I was imagining... I don't want to have the same musical score accompanying every single launch. I feel It would take a lot of the excitement out of the game, especially for experienced players who can do multiple launches in short amounts of time. I was imagining having literally 10-15 different loopable songs... for both liftoff, AND reentry... That way you would rarely hear the same song in a single day. That would be 30+ songs and then countless recorded loops between them. And if I wanted to go full out on that I would probably be doing loop-able tracks for surface, flight, and docking as well, if not to as crazy of an extent as as in that video. Ambient music is easily loopable by simply fading songs in and out but the driving beats and complicated chords that would accompany liftoff and reentry take a lot more technical work to implement well.

And if you're curious, I have without a doubt enough music and experience to edit this if it somehow is doable on a code level. I've been a jazz drummer and pianist for seven years now, and as well I'm going into video editing. Performing clean scene and song cuts is something I excel at.

To give you a very rough idea of what I had in mind for my liftoff playlist, here is my current track selection w/out any song cuts (29 songs in total, light launch and heavy launch playlists):

One thing to note, I named the two folders Above 200T and Below 200T. That's just a rough estimate. I may make it 150T. The idea is to have a lighter playlist for launching satellites and LKO runs, and a heavier playlist for sending larger payloads and setting up interplanetary missions. Also @LaytheDragon it sounded like you had some interest in listening in to my early cuts so I'll ping you here too :). If you want to let me know which songs you would like removed from both lists please tell me. It's probably already got about 10 songs too many.

Liftoff no-cuts.zip (223.02 MB)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Ok, I hope this helps. Periapsis ~21,500M Charring started in 12 Seconds, got to 300M at 3m 56s. I did a flyby of the Mun in this test. Do you need any other help?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.