Belly of The Beast Challenge - The Final Feat for The Best of The Best

Okay. Here goes.

I present to you The 'Belly of the Beast' Challenge!

This challenge is for the best of KSP'ers, but all are welcome to try!

You've been everywhere in the system? Landed, returned? Done the Jool 5, the grand tour? Pfft. That's cute. But you haven't done THIS!

Here's what it entails:

'Easy' Mode: Enter Joolian Atmosphere from an orbit of your choice, descend to 150,000m, return to an orbit that does not enter the atmosphere. HyperEdit enabled to get into orbit in the first place

Intermediate: Enter Joolian Atmosphere from a stable orbit of your choice, descend to 100,000m, return to an orbit that does not enter the atmosphere. HyperEdit enabled to get into orbit in the first place, but not as EPIC

Watney mode: Enter Joolian Atmosphere from a stable orbit of your choice, descend to 50,000, return to an orbit that does not enter the atmosphere. HyperEdit disabled!

KRAKEN mode: Enter Joolian Atmosphere from a stable orbit of your choice, descend to whatever you feel is badass enough or MORE (you insane magician), return to an orbit that does not enter the atmosphere. And impress me, if you feel daring.        HyperEdit disabled!

(Note: Hyperedit or any other software / file editing may be used to get into a stable orbit to begin the challenge from, but you MUST evidence you have not used cheats in a breach of these rules, through screenshots or a video, and you MUST remove any mods before beginning the challenge)

xbedaOj.jpg

So there you have it! I've challenged you to this feat. I do not doubt that it has been done before, but in THIS version? With re-entry heat, drag and other factors to count for (did I mention crushing gravity?), this is no challenge for the faint of heart. But this challenge is what I think should be the pinnacle of excellence. Record it, screenshot it, just let me know your stories! Whether you fail or you succeed, I want to hear what YOU did. Even if you failed, to take on this task writes you into the legendary history books and earns your name the strength and honour anyone daring enough to attempt this challenge deserves! And even if you don't wish to take part, share this challenge around, or just comment on what you think! I want to see some Youtubers taking on this challenge like the weekly Reddit challenges, so lets let them all know! If people start to do this challenge, I'll make a badge for each challenge mode for you to put on your signature, and your name will be written into the list below! If this challenge has been done before than please tell me, but I have seen NO attempts at anything like this in 1.0+. Please try to use the latest version of the game, the idea is that the latest changes give it the challenge factor.

And to all those who dare to venture into the belly of the beast...

Good luck...

You'll need it.

Hall of Fame:

-YOUR NAME HERE!

Honourable mentions:

Edited by ryan234abc

Yeah, I probably should tone them down, but I've seen things (such as grand tour with a jetpack etc) that makes me think someone could do it. And to be honest, I'm not even gonna be sad if nobody can do it. I just want to see what the limit is for KSPers. And besides, there is easy and intermediate mode for those who do not wish to try the Watney and Kraken modes just yet. And trust me, I have the utmost respect for anyone who even attempts this challenge. Advice taken on though, thank you. I'll add a section for those who attempt the challenge.

Cheers!

Ryan

Hey Jim!

When it comes to atmospheric bodies, strapping on a heatshield and a chute is usually all it takes to get down safely. With Jool, this is a feat in itself, but the idea of the challenge is to really test what people can build when they try to get BACK. Thing is, Jool is like Eve, but with higher pressures, gravity and huge dV requirements. But I see what you're saying. The challenge probably is a little ambitious. Im going to make it a bit easier by fiddling around with the numbers. Thanks for the feedback!

Ryan

Hmm. I've sent many a probe into Jool in my time, one with an aerospike strapped to it. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it still had a decent* isp at 0 meters. With my mission report and the whole "surface sample from all 18 KSP bodies" thing, I'll have to do this sometime. I remember that one person did this a while ago.

9 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hmm. I've sent many a probe into Jool in my time, one with an aerospike strapped to it. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it still had a decent* isp at 0 meters. With my mission report and the whole "surface sample from all 18 KSP bodies" thing, I'll have to do this sometime. I remember that one person did this a while ago.

I think I saw a youtube video once, but it was filmed before entry heating and real drag were added into the game. Back then, returning would have been much easier. The challenge comes from the ascent, I guess. Still, the whole challenge was just my curiosity going wild. Although, I have wondered if it were possible now...

Ryan

Heres an attempt on Intermediate level, using a modified Eve lifter I slapped together.  HyperEdit to Jool orbit, then all stock + KER.  Down to 99K, then back to orbit with Jeb

• 1 month later...

I hope to do this, with an additional... special... payload. A payload measured in megatons...

Just gotta finish the End challenge first.

Spoiler

If the ominous foreshadowing wasn't enough, I plan to drop nukes inside Jool's atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.