Respawning Dead Kerbals in Career Mode

Do dead Kerbals respawn in Career Mode? I just noticed that my space station orbiting Eeloo is missing. I have no idea what happened to it, and the crew which included Bob is listed as KIA. Can I get them back without tampering with the persistence file? I tried that once and it corrupted the file.

Here is an update: This might be a bug. With the respawn option deselected, it shows that I have 9 kerbals lost.

g9aJqGr.png

But with it selected, it says I have 0 lost, but the kerbals are still dead.

qtMf5Iq.png

Anyone have any ideas? My only mod is mechjeb, but I'm fairly certain it isn't responsible. I tried selecting and deselecting respawn with it uninstalled, and ended up with over 150 unrecoverable kerbals because all of my ships disappeared.

Edited by Zosma Procyon
More info

8 minutes ago, bewing said:

In your in-game settings menu, at the top, is a "Difficulty Options" button. Click that, and see whether the "Missing crews respawn" box is checked.

It is and has been the whole time. I have 8 dead kerbals, some of them have been dead for almost 5 in game years.

Hmmmm. That doesn't sound terribly promising. Have you landed a rocket at the entrance to Hades, and played music to make Cerberus fall asleep?

(edit: I suddenly realized I misspelled Kerberus, of course)

Edited by bewing

Or try again editing the persistence file.  Exit KSP before editing to avoid possible conflicts and make a backup before editing.  I've seen posts before that people did this with no problem.  Change the state= to Available and it should work.  If you have MissingCrewsRespawn=True in the difficulty section that would prevent then being reborn (if so change it to false and they should start reappearing after a suitable morning period).  Just be careful while editing not to hit any stray keys on the keyboard and it's easiest if you copy the word Available and paste it in so you don't get any misspellings.

11 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

Here is an update: This might be a bug. With the respawn option deselected, it shows that I have 9 kerbals lost.

*snip*

But with it selected, it says I have 0 lost, but the kerbals are still dead.

*snip*

Anyone have any ideas? My only mod is mechjeb, but I'm fairly certain it isn't responsible. I tried selecting and deselecting respawn with it uninstalled, and ended up with over 150 unrecoverable kerbals because all of my ships disappeared.

"Lost" equals "Dead" equals "K.I.A.", for "killed in action" - they are not coming back, ever. With crew respawn disabled, this is all you are shown.

"Missing" equals "M.I.A.", for "missing in action" - these will eventually respawn. With crew respawn enabled, the tab name changes to reflect that among the Kerbals listed there, some might only be "missing", not "lost". In other words, when 10 Kerbals are listed in the "Lost" tab, and only three of them are actually dead, the tab will show "7 Missing" to signify that there are 7 Kerbals pending respawn.

However, crews only become "missing" if they meet their fate while the crew respawn option is enabled. If the option is off, all lost crewmembers are in fact permanently lost. Turning the crew respawn option on after the fact does not magically make them less dead. You need to manually edit the persistence file to revive them.

On the other hand, if crew respawn is enabled and you decide to turn it off, then all "missing" Kerbals instantly become "lost". And as above - turning the option back on after the fact does not revive them. Once dead, they are dead, period.

I just did a test to check for bugs. Started an easy mode career game. Cheated myself lots of money. Hired 21 extra kerbals. Sent them all into the sky in two deathmobiles. They all went MIA when the ships accidentally hit the ground (twice). Launched a robot into orbit to give me something to watch -- and timewarped ahead 31 days. All 25 kerbals are suddenly back in the Astronaut Complex available for missions.

So as far as I can tell, there is no respawning bug. It works just like Streetwind says.

• 11 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.