[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

14 minutes ago, Waz said:

The performance fix II'll look at a proper fix once 1.2 settles.

Have you had a chance to look at the doubling up city lights?  That's the only thing that has bothered  me recently. If I had it my way I would have removed them from sve but there are a lot of people that like the city lights so I've kept them in there.  I just delete them when I play.  I'd love to see this fixed because I made a very awesome looking City Lights texture that I can't wait to use. 

Edited by Galileo

38 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Have you had a chance to look at the doubling up city lights?  That's the only thing that has bothered  me recently. If I had it my way I would have removed them from sve but there are a lot of people that like the city lights so I've kept them in there.  I just delete them when I play.  I'd love to see this fixed because I made a very awesome looking City Lights texture that I can't wait to use. 

xD I delete them too lol - They are quite pretty though but I'm more of a fan on keeping Kerbin the way it is in stock - cityless. I'm all about adding in clouds and beautiful atmosphere though.

Edited by Avera9eJoe
rephrased a bit

Just now, Jiraiyah said:

@Galileo

Sir I removed all the previous folders and extracted the recent version in 1.2, no more clouds nor the city lights at all !!!! the alt+0 says something about no config being there at all !!!

sounds like the installation is wrong post a pic of your gamedata if you can and post logs

kk, i was thinking the same way, can be a conflict with something like quick start ? (jumps right to last save without the main menu screen)

yup they came up, I noticed something, there is a minimal gap between the loading of main menu screen and when clouds jumps in on top of earth, can it be that bypassing this stage avoids loading of plugins?

6 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

kk, i was thinking the same way, can be a conflict with something like quick start ? (jumps right to last save without the main menu screen)

yup they came up, I noticed something, there is a minimal gap between the loading of main menu screen and when clouds jumps in on top of earth, can it be that bypassing this stage avoids loading of plugins?

i would have to assume so. That would be the logical explanation, Just get rid of quick start and see if the problem persists. I would also post that on the quick start thread 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, OldLost said:

I wonder why the Github site says 1.1.1 was released on August 22nd...

I am going to have to make a new repo I'm pretty sure.  All of my releases for sve say August 22nd.  It's really annoying lol

37 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I am going to have to make a new repo I'm pretty sure.  All of my releases for sve say August 22nd.  It's really annoying lol

You have to upload stuff to the repo (that is commit files to the source tree) to update that.  If all you're doing is using GitHub for a release system, it's not going to update anything - however, if you updated the readme.txt (say, by updating a changelog), then the release date would update.

Just now, MOARdV said:

You have to upload stuff to the repo (that is commit files to the source tree) to update that.  If all you're doing is using GitHub for a release system, it's not going to update anything - however, if you updated the readme.txt (say, by updating a changelog), then the release date would update.

Oh well that makes sense.  I haven't updated the README in a while and haven't included a change log on GitHub in a long time either.  I guess I can do that next time

@Galileo

some people just can't be pleased

found this on the KSP discord

http://imgur.com/gallery/qBKic

he's obviously wrong

also has performance been fixed? great job on the new additions by the way, they're very cool. though, hard to enjoy at 3 frames per second. you should consider duna dust storms reducing solar panel output

Edited by Pxtseryu

13 minutes ago, theaveragepxtseryu said:

@Galileo

some people just can't be pleased

found this on the KSP discord

http://imgur.com/gallery/qBKic

also has performance been fixed? great job on the new additions by the way, they're very cool. though, hard to enjoy at 3 frames per second. you should consider duna dust storms reducing solar panel output

Performance is as good as its going to get.  As for reducing solar panel output,  that's not something I can not do.  

7 hours ago, Waz said:

The cost of layerVolumes was truly exorbitant. I have some numbers on my desk where the rendering cost for a ship in Kerbin orbit was 8ms for plain EVE, 12ms for SVE, ...... and 1.7ms with neither...... and nearly *all* of that was layerVolume rendering. For 100 particles you only see occasionally, this is insane.

The performance fix I did was just something I could do quickly so I didn't have to recommend against using volumetric clouds: because I think they give amazing immersion (I swear I still hear noise in my head that was never there when I think about a dust storm I drove through on Duna with KSPRC).

I'll look at a proper fix once 1.2 settles.

I'm not completely surprised.  My guess, and I'm not a 3d guy, is probably that EVE is doing a lot of unnecessary work.  (Woah, poignant observation, I know).  Either way, it's good to know you are on the case.  Of all the mods I use, which there are not many, EVE is the one that adds the most atmosphere (no pun intended).  Scatterer is nice, but without clouds the worlds just seem bland and lifeless.  And thanks to SVE, we can get a pretty damn fine version of both.

When stuff like this happens I can't help but think the best part of the KSP modding community is thanks to having source available, people can help out and pick up a mod.  Compare that to the Bethesda scene where mods are treated like personal treasures and if a modder gets bored and quits, their work may very well end up lost in limbo.  Then again, maybe KSP gets away with that because (as I like to think), it attracts a fairly similar group of people whereas something like Skyrim has a far wider appeal.  I don't think there's a loverslab for KSP, and if there is I really do not want to know about it.  I'll take that ignorance to the grave, please.  I digress, my point is simply when you compare the extremes in mod topics, KSP draws from a much tighter pool and I think it works out to it's advantage because we can enjoy open source modding.

Edited by Hyomoto

Gal I'm going to remove you as an author on the SVE download that's up on Spacedock to see if that's the reason it's not letting me delete the mod.

Edit:

Aaaand it wasn't.... I'm gonna get in touch with the Spacedock peeps....

Edited by Nhawks17

On 14.10.2016 at 9:50 PM, Phineas Freak said:

For the record, i had another one user report about QuickStart breaking EVE so that is probably something that it should be added to the "EVE Known Issues" list.

I think I had that while prerelease testing. EVE needed 1-2 seconds to load in main menu. Quickstart was faster loading into the last career. So maybe even Quickstart should add a little delay. Or can EVE block loading a savegame before it finished loading itself?

1 minute ago, Jebs_SY said:

I think I had that while prerelease testing. EVE needed 1-2 seconds to load in main menu. Quickstart was faster loading into the last career. So maybe even Quickstart should add a little delay. Or can EVE block loading a savegame before it finished loading itself?

I would ask @Waz or go ask on the quick start thread.  I'm strictly cfgs and textures lol but man I wish I knew how to do the cool stuff real modder do. 

Ok, this is the first time I've actually gone to Laythe with SVE installed...  Is it supposed to look like this?

m8RuACJ.png

OYoOqIU.png

iNqy4Jf.png

No offense intended, but the supersaturated powder-blue really isn't working for me.  Is there a simple setting or two I should play with to tone down the intensity of the effect?

Edited by RoboRay

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.