Pokemon Go

Rainbowtrout

On 7/10/2016 at 11:17 PM, razark said:

I've come to hate the game with a bit of a passion over the past few days.

Some friends of mine live on what used to be a nice quiet cul-de-sac.  For the last several days, they've had a massive increase in traffic, cars driving down, circling, and parking in the middle of their street.  Strange people showing up, sitting on the sidewalk for a while, and leaving.  It's been quite disturbing, since there are four of our families with kids that hang out at that house on a regular basis.  I do appreciate the one person that bothered to stop and offer an explanation, however.

Go put your godsdamned "gym" somewhere else.

I wonder if they plan to (and I hope they do) allow people to petition to remove certain PokeStops and Gyms, due to privacy reasons (as seen in quoted post).  Or at least have them relocated to a more appropriate Public area.  Gotta be super annoying to have strangers in your cul-de-sac all the time.

It's a great game and all, but if it causes a lot of unwelcome attention to your private residence, I can easily understand cause for alarm.

It's fascinating how, again, a game invented by the troublesome antisocial Japanese culture, based on inherently evil and highly illegal activity (making animals fight among themselves, capturing them and brainwashing them), is somehow accepted because it's all about the money the thing brought to its authors.

Long live capitalism, I guess...

In real world, Ash would be placed in a correctional institution and Oak would be imprisoned for decades because of his attrocities.

On 8. Juli 2016 at 8:19 PM, klesh said:

Its times like these that I feel old.  Pokemon came out when I was a junior in highschool, and then it was a game "for kids".  Its not something I've ever been interested in, and seeing adults (who were kids back then) into it makes a fella feel ancient.  

Whats essential for some, is nothing to others.  My granmother had no idea who Luke Skywalker is.

Same goes for Harry Potter, thats like a kids book to me.  I was in college when that came out.  /offmylawn

I can never be bothered to read Harry Potter. There is way too much good science fiction that I am slowly reading my way through.

Pokemon go is just feels another awful fad game. However, I am SUPER hyped about the Mini-NES being launched in November. I hope they produce enough of them so I can buy one at Christmas.

You know, here in Brazil the criminality rates are quite high.

People get robbed all the time, even if they try not to look suspicious.

Now think with me:

People ALREADY get robbed when they're hiding their stuff.

And then Pokemon GO gets released. A game where you have to walk around while keeping an eye at your phone.

Can you guess the probable outcome?

Basically, massive amounts of stolen smartphones are to be expected here. And because of that, I'm not downloading this app.

On 14-7-2016 at 0:01 AM, Slam_Jones said:

Gotta be super annoying to have strangers in your cul-de-sac all the time.

It's a great game and all, but if it causes a lot of unwelcome attention to your private residence, I can easily understand cause for alarm.

The thing is, people feel entitled to things that are not theirs all the time. The tax payer pays for the cul-de-sac, so he can use it if he wants. If it is private territory, sure.

12 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

You know, here in Brazil the criminality rates are quite high.

People get robbed all the time, even if they try not to look suspicious.

Now think with me:

People ALREADY get robbed when they're hiding their stuff.

And then Pokemon GO gets released. A game where you have to walk around while keeping an eye at your phone.

Can you guess the probable outcome?

Basically, massive amounts of stolen smartphones are to be expected here. And because of that, I'm not downloading this app.

On one side of the coin, I agree 100%.  You got people walking by themselves, in the middle of the night, with a bight light shining on their face making it easy to see them ("hey, come rob me!"), and they probably aren't paying any attention to their surroundings.  Seems like the easiest steal ever.

On the other side of the coin, what is getting stolen has an active, accurate GPS as well as a camera attached to it.  If there's a lot of smartphones in the area, chances are there's a few extra angles to see the event from.  That of course doesn't apply if you're walking alone, though.  My advice?  Bring a (big) dog or a group of friends, and if you drive, keep your doors locked (and keep your dog with you anyway to be safe).

3 hours ago, Camacha said:

The thing is, people feel entitled to things that are not theirs all the time. The tax payer pays for the cul-de-sac, so he can use it if he wants. If it is private territory, sure.

1 hour ago, cantab said:

Just because somebody else isn't literally breaking the law doesn't mean they aren't annoying.

I have to wonder if there are cruising (passing the same spot X times in Y period of time) or loitering laws that would apply there?  If it's a known active spot, perhaps the local police force could be made aware and patrol nearby a little more often?  In a lot of places this isn't an option, but if it means your house not getting broken into, it's all for the better.

Edited by Slam_Jones

4 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

I have to wonder if there are cruising (passing the same spot X times in Y period of time) or loitering laws that would apply there?  If it's a known active spot, perhaps the local police force could be made aware and patrol nearby a little more often?  In a lot of places this isn't an option, but if it means your house not getting broken into, it's all for the better.

If you do something with a purpose, it is not loitering. Besides, why would you spend police time and therefore community money on people you know are not interested in you or your house? The police are not your personal annoyance solving force.

Edited by Camacha

I'm getting a real kick and laughing my butt off at all the idiots (yes, idiots) playing this game on their phones and getting hurt as a result of it... not to mention those who are also breaking the law as a result (trespassing on private property, and breaking & entering) and ending up getting arrested and jailed for it. Just today, some fool ran his car into a tree while driving and playing the game, staring at his phone.

And then there's this idiot - Man Quits Job to Become a Pokémon Go Hunter

Darwin awards are forthcoming.
The list grows by the minute. :lol:

41 minutes ago, Camacha said:

If you do something with a purpose, it is not loitering. Besides, why would you spend police time and therefore community money on people you know are not interested in you or your house? The police are not your personal annoyance solving force.

They're just suggestions :P  Maybe it's a small sleepy town with not too much going on?  I can't claim to know the specifics, but I can offer general ideas.  Just thinking, if I were a criminal, I'd happily use the guise of Pokemon Go to case out a few houses.  Y'know, see who lives there, what cars are usually there at what time, etc etc.  Learn the patterns and rhythms of the area so you can slip in and out without too much notice.

Then again, what with the muggings and stabbings over the game, I wouldn't be surprised if the police were already thinking along the same lines.

6 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'm getting a real kick and laughing my butt off at all the idiots (yes, idiots) playing this game on their phones and getting hurt as a result of it... not to mention those who are also breaking the law as a result (trespassing on private property, and breaking & entering) and ending up getting arrested and jailed for it. Just today, some fool ran his car into a tree while driving and playing the game, staring at his phone.

And then there's this idiot - Man Quits Job to Become a Pokémon Go Hunter

Darwin awards are forthcoming.
The list grows by the minute. :lol:

I consider the people who get hurt playing the game to be in the same category as people who drive into rivers/lakes/etc at the behest of their GPS.  Not the brightest bulbs on the christmas tree.  :P

Edited by Slam_Jones

9 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

They're just suggestions :P  Maybe it's a small sleepy town with not too much going on?  I can't claim to know the specifics, but I can offer general ideas.  Just thinking, if I were a criminal, I'd happily use the guise of Pokemon Go to case out a few houses.  Y'know, see who lives there, what cars are usually there at what time, etc etc.  Learn the patterns and rhythms of the area so you can slip in and out without too much notice.

The same could be said for walking your dog. Are we about to ban that too?

46 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Besides, why would you spend police time and therefore community money on people you know are not interested in you or your house?

Because if you have drivers paying attention to pokemon instead of operating their vehicle, it can become a safety issue, or a traffic obstruction issue.  Or an annoyance issue as headlights repeatedly invade your house as people drive around in circles.

I'm not saying this is common, just pointing out that it could be enough of a reason.

6 minutes ago, Camacha said:

YES!  In fact, let's ban EVERYONE going outside at all!  If you look at someones house? ARRESTED!  If you walk on the sidewalk near someones house? ARRESTED!  What is that, a smartphone?!  BROKEN!  And ARRESTED!  'MURIKA!

Sarcasm aside, you just seem to want to be contradictory and argumentative, so, go ahead, I guess.  Not even sure what you're arguing for anymore.  I'll let you "win" this one if it makes you feel better about yourself. (lol)

Edited by Slam_Jones

I saw a kid walking around my neighborhood looking at his tablet earlier today, presumably playing Pokemon Go. It's a little distressing, these people are actively not paying attention to things around them that could hurt them, like the car I was in. I'm okay with people playing it, but they really need to learn to be smart about it.

7 hours ago, Camacha said:

Where I live, it is in essence close to a ban. The issue is that dog owners tend to walk their mutt down the block and allow it to poop on the lawns of other home owners. So to fight this, we have "pooper-scooper" laws, where you must pick up after your dog. Too much fun if you ask me, following your mutt around picking up after it. :confused:

Cats  Ferrets rule.

Edited by LordFerret
Oops, what was I thinking.

Wow.

So much hate in this thread.

I was hoping to swing by, share some gaming experiences... but now I'm not sure I want to.

I guess its bad that I've walked 6 miles today, got to see butterflies, dragonflies, wild turkeys, turtles and some cool fungus.

Then learned about a new park nearby that I hadn't known about last week.

But uh, you keep doing... what you do.

9 minutes ago, Xacktar said:

Wow.

I was hoping to swing by, share some gaming experiences... but now I'm not sure I want to.

I guess its bad that I've walked 6 miles today, got to see butterflies, dragonflies, wild turkeys, turtles and some cool fungus.

Then learned about a new park nearby that I hadn't known about last week.

But uh, you keep doing... what you do.

Just don't get hit by a car or walk into the Pentagon and it's totally fine. And especially don't get hit by a car in the Pentagon. It's an interesting game idea, I'll give it that. :) Personally, I've never really been into pokemon, so I won't be getting it. 

1 hour ago, Xacktar said:

Wow.

Only what the game has earned, rightly or not.  The complaints are about the (probably few) bad players and aspects of the game.  As long as people aren't causing a nuisance and the game doesn't encourage them to become a problem, then have at it.  Remember, the problems with the game are going to surface quickly and are going to get a lot of notice early on, but as time passes and it settles down, things will most likely smooth out.

1 hour ago, Xacktar said:

I was hoping to swing by, share some gaming experiences...

Please do.  Hearing about some of the benefits might help to reduce those complaints you've seen here.

I just spent a few hours with a friend and one of my children learning about the game.  I will admit that my view on the game has changed.  (And I also found a new park I hadn't been aware of.)

Edited by razark

14 hours ago, cubinator said:

I saw a kid walking around my neighborhood looking at his tablet earlier today, presumably playing Pokemon Go. It's a little distressing, these people are actively not paying attention to things around them that could hurt them, like the car I was in. I'm okay with people playing it, but they really need to learn to be smart about it.

This I will agree with. To be honest, you do not need to be glued to the screen. What I do, is just keep the screen on, and wait for it to buzz. Then I step out the way, and do what I need to do, and then carry on. It's not rocket science, you should still pay attention to what you are doing.

I will say though, this is not the games fault, people were walking along not paying attention on their smartphones long before this came along.

6 minutes ago, cantab said:

You have to keep your screen on for ages for it to work right? Have Niantic not heard the phrase 'battery life'?

This is a big problem at the moment, it's a massive battery hog. Apparently they are working on that. There is a battery saver mode, but it doesn't seem to help much in my case, as when the screen goes off, the GPS gets turned off. I have a little external charger I picked up for £10 which gives me a full charge from dead, so I can get about 2 hours on my battery, plug it in, and then get another 2 hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.