[1.2.2] Contract Pack: Historical Progression (v1.5 - 4/24/2017)

pap1723

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm either having some issues or just confused about the Luna 3 mission. I did the initial portion, launching a satellite into a <600km trajectory, sent back a temperature report from there, then expected to get the contract after escaping Mun SOI. The "Return to Kerbin" portion never triggered, so I thought it might be because I would eventually re-encounter the Mun weeks/years later. Burned at Kerbin Periapsis to put myself back into stable orbit, but still didn't trigger and now it's saying that ship never encountered the Mun at all on my contract info. Do I have to stay in control of the same vessel the whole time? Thanks in advance.

On 2/5/2017 at 11:59 PM, smokytehbear said:

So I'm either having some issues or just confused about the Luna 3 mission. I did the initial portion, launching a satellite into a <600km trajectory, sent back a temperature report from there, then expected to get the contract after escaping Mun SOI. The "Return to Kerbin" portion never triggered, so I thought it might be because I would eventually re-encounter the Mun weeks/years later. Burned at Kerbin Periapsis to put myself back into stable orbit, but still didn't trigger and now it's saying that ship never encountered the Mun at all on my contract info. Do I have to stay in control of the same vessel the whole time? Thanks in advance.

Hey @smokytehbear,

I just had a look at the mission and I think the issue is that you may have gone away from the ship during it's mission. I have fixed this issue and will update it with the next version.

4 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

Hey @smokytehbear,

I just had a look at the mission and I think the issue is that you may have gone away from the ship during it's mission. I have fixed this issue and will update it with the next version.

I actually tried to intentionally reproduce it, via what I thought went wrong, but this time it actually clicked for me. It seems if that was the case, that only happened occasionally. Hopefully this fix will take care of it though for anyone else in the future. Anyway, great mod. Love actually feeling like there's a direction in KSP instead of just random mercenary work.

9 hours ago, Brandog said:

any idea why I can't do this mission? I competed the two missions in early rocketry and I can't go any farther because nothing will unlock despite me having all the conditions met..

onzkW1b.png

There is no reason why this should not work. There is only one thing I know of. If you hit SHIFT-F12 and go into Contracts you can Force Regeneration of Contracts.

If that does not work, you will have to bring this up as a bug at the Contract Configurator page as it would be an issue with that mod as it handles all the generation of contracts.

9 hours ago, Brandog said:

any idea why I can't do this mission? I competed the two missions in early rocketry and I can't go any farther because nothing will unlock despite me having all the conditions met..

onzkW1b.png

I would say you’re not getting the contract because your reputation is at -75 (how did you achieve that?) and Sputnik 1 is an exceptional level contract. You’ll notice that it says you can have a maximum of 0 exceptional level contracts (it’s marked in orange).

1 hour ago, Moiety said:

I would say you’re not getting the contract because your reputation is at -75 (how did you achieve that?) and Sputnik 1 is an exceptional level contract. You’ll notice that it says you can have a maximum of 0 exceptional level contracts (it’s marked in orange).

WOW! I didn't notice that! Either he cancelled a lot of contracts, or killed a lot of Kerbals!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Iso-Polaris said:

The Return Home contract object in STS missions cannot be completed.

I land my spaceplane safely, no parts exploded, yet i still cannot complete that contract

I am looking into it @Iso-Polaris. I think it might have something to do with the order I have the parameters setup. I should have a hotfix out today that will hopefully work for you.

Version Update to 1.5

• Fixed secondary Ap in Apollo 4 mission to be on the correct side of the Mun in stock
  • Fixed Gemini 8 mission for the proper docking to register
  • Fixed Shuttle Missions so that you can accomplish Return Home Safely parameter
  • Fixed the Space Station missions to mark parameters as completed correctly

Also, I am looking for some ideas. I want to expand on this contract pack, or I want to create a new historical pack from the USA side that would eventually be a part of a full-scale USA/NASA mod conversion. Let me know missions you would like to see added to this Contract Pack and/or if you would be interested in the USA/NASA modpack contract pack as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for an awesome mod.  I am using both your Historical Progression mods and I noticed something that may be a bug or (more likely) my misunderstanding.  On the Vostok 6 mission, I need to keep a Kerbal in orbit for three days.  After I do this (contract line goes green), I start my re-entry.  When I do my last decouple, the line goes back to incomplete.  I think it may have to do with the root part of my ship being a Probodobodyne HECS which I decouple from my capsule.  My focus after separation stays with the capsule but when I quickly selected the probe, I saw it had green for the time.

My question is, do I need to make sure my root part is my capsule or should the time component follow the kerbal?

BTW, the texts about the missions in the completed contract window is a real nice touch. 

Edit: I may have posted this in the wrong sub.  I can repost in the CECP forum if so. 

Edited by theshepherd
Recognize I may have posted in wrong forum

@pap1723 Hello Man, first off great work on the contract packs :)

I have a question, how feasible workload wise would it be to split the pack into Russian/Non-Russian progression ?

Is it possible at all ?

I didnt look into how configure Contracts yet but i am planning to take a look at that part of KSP :wink:

12 hours ago, theshepherd said:

Thanks for an awesome mod.  I am using both your Historical Progression mods and I noticed something that may be a bug or (more likely) my misunderstanding.  On the Vostok 6 mission, I need to keep a Kerbal in orbit for three days.  After I do this (contract line goes green), I start my re-entry.  When I do my last decouple, the line goes back to incomplete.  I think it may have to do with the root part of my ship being a Probodobodyne HECS which I decouple from my capsule.  My focus after separation stays with the capsule but when I quickly selected the probe, I saw it had green for the time.

My question is, do I need to make sure my root part is my capsule or should the time component follow the kerbal?

BTW, the texts about the missions in the completed contract window is a real nice touch. 

Edit: I may have posted this in the wrong sub.  I can repost in the CECP forum if so. 

No, this is the correct place to post! I am glad you are enjoying the missions!

I had never considered the Root Part not being returned. What the contract does is it checks to see if the craft safely returns to the planet. I have slightly modified the code so that it should check off the parameter and leave it checcked off once you accomplish it.

5 hours ago, Jasseji said:

@pap1723 Hello Man, first off great work on the contract packs :)

I have a question, how feasible workload wise would it be to split the pack into Russian/Non-Russian progression ?

Is it possible at all ?

I didnt look into how configure Contracts yet but i am planning to take a look at that part of KSP :wink:

@Jasseji, it would not require a TON of work, but there would be major gaps in the progression. The idea of the pack was to progress through the different "accomplishments" of the human race in space. If you notice, there is not any Mercury missions, this is because once Vostok 1 happened, it doesn't really make sense for the player to be tasked with sending someone up in a Suborbital flight. Which side of the Iron Curtain were you planning on playing with? I have been working on a separate US only Contract Pack as well.

4 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

I had never considered the Root Part not being returned. What the contract does is it checks to see if the craft safely returns to the planet. I have slightly modified the code so that it should check off the parameter and leave it checcked off once you accomplish it.

@Jasseji, it would not require a TON of work, but there would be major gaps in the progression. The idea of the pack was to progress through the different "accomplishments" of the human race in space. If you notice, there is not any Mercury missions, this is because once Vostok 1 happened, it doesn't really make sense for the player to be tasked with sending someone up in a Suborbital flight. Which side of the Iron Curtain were you planning on playing with? I have been working on a separate US only Contract Pack as well.

US Only with ESA Perhaps ?

I have been thinking about tackling Contract Configurator myself to create something like a US part of the ETS Timeline but it can turn out to require more time than i have on hand at the moment

5 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

US Only with ESA Perhaps ?

I have been thinking about tackling Contract Configurator myself to create something like a US part of the ETS Timeline but it can turn out to require more time than i have on hand at the moment

That was going to be my plan, but I wasn't planning on too many ESA missions (basically only what is in the pack now).

I had the idea of creating an ETS Timeline as well. I haven't had enough time to go throught all of ETS to determine exactly what the missions would be.

Just now, pap1723 said:

That was going to be my plan, but I wasn't planning on too many ESA missions (basically only what is in the pack now).

I had the idea of creating an ETS Timeline as well. I haven't had enough time to go throught all of ETS to determine exactly what the missions would be.

I might give it a try when i am through reading Contract Configurator Documentation :D

Just now, Jasseji said:

I might give it a try when i am through reading Contract Configurator Documentation :D

Don't focus too much on reading the documentation. Use the Contract Packs that have already been made and find the ones that accomplish what you are trying to accomplish. Then, use Contract Configurator documentation (the best documentation of any mod in KSP, well maybe kOS as well) to extend or change what you want.

30 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

I am!  I bring a bit of roleplay into my game, and the historical contracts bring depth to that.  Much appreciation for the quick response and code change!

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is something wrong with the nasa "gemini 7 and gemini 6a" mission.

I launched only the first craft of the two-craft mission, and it checked 'complete' for both craft simultaneously. So all I had to do was to have the first craft wait the "9 days and then some" and it checked mission acomplished.

My last booster stage detached from the mission craft when I was already in full orbit so perhaps it fulfilled the rendezvous requisite? Still, it was not manned by two kerbals as the mission craft was so that shouldnt be possible. I indeed think one craft is able to check both crafts requisites at the same time.

Btw @pap1723 many kudos on an excellent mod!!

Edited by Daniel Prates

On 4/1/2017 at 6:10 PM, Daniel Prates said:

I think there is something wrong with the nasa "gemini 7 and gemini 6a" mission.

I launched only the first craft of the two-craft mission, and it checked 'complete' for both craft simultaneously. So all I had to do was to have the first craft wait the "9 days and then some" and it checked mission acomplished.

My last booster stage detached from the mission craft when I was already in full orbit so perhaps it fulfilled the rendezvous requisite? Still, it was not manned by two kerbals as the mission craft was so that shouldnt be possible. I indeed think one craft is able to check both crafts requisites at the same time.

Btw @pap1723 many kudos on an excellent mod!!

Hi @Daniel Prates and thank you for the kind words about the contracts!

Gemini 6A / 7 have been the bane of my existence. Due to the way the contracts are read by the system, there is an issue with asking the user to launch what amounts to 2 identical (or very similar) craft and completing the mission. I have tried various ways to get the contract to work and sometimes it reads them correctly, and sometimes it does not.

I have one more way I am going to try to re-write the mission and see if I can get it to work once and for all.

2 hours ago, pap1723 said:

Hi @Daniel Prates and thank you for the kind words about the contracts!

Gemini 6A / 7 have been the bane of my existence. Due to the way the contracts are read by the system, there is an issue with asking the user to launch what amounts to 2 identical (or very similar) craft and completing the mission. I have tried various ways to get the contract to work and sometimes it reads them correctly, and sometimes it does not.

I have one more way I am going to try to re-write the mission and see if I can get it to work once and for all.

Oh I get it. Probably the same thing happens with the dual 'kosmos' automated docking craft, for in that mission a similar thing happens.

I understand that it is difficult for contracts to discern from different craft, creating identification problems. 

However, on those stock 'put a sattelite in orbit' missions, there is a specific provision that it must be a new sattelite, and it works: previous craft already in position to fulfill the contract do not count. That leads me to believe there is some way to force the requisite-fullfilling craft to be brand newly created for the mission. Hence my suggestion: if everything fails, can't you divide the mission in two missions, meant to be picked simultaneously? Hence G7 would be a mission, and G6a would be another, both having its' own demand for a craft, and a docking and safe return goal. 

Could that work?

On 06/02/2017 at 3:59 AM, smokytehbear said:

Don't know if this helps, but most of my impacting missions failed to work because I was warping like crazy through the final moments of the probe. Then I loaded the quicksave I made prior to the catastrophic final descent and went slowly through the mission parameters. I don't quite remember which 'luna' requires you to go through 'less than 10.000' and proceed to 'less than 5000' and then 'less than 500' or so, but it only worked when I allowed myself to remain in those situations for at least a few seconds (of real-life time, that is).

Guess it takes the game a brief moment to compute. 

In practice this meant that my first try, which was to fall head-on from high orbit in a near 90 degrees angle to the surface, didn't allow the game to acknowledge the last requisite as complete, since in the final 500 meters i was coming in 700m/s or so. I had to try again in a more parallel route of descent, regardint the surface. That allowed me to complete the mission. 

I think this works in every mission or situation, so now I always take into account that remaining in the scenario situation for at least a few seconds is necessary. Wanna another situation where this is important? Think of those "enter the atmosphere of jool" missions. If your craft is not made to last at least a few seconds in there (likely if you do not have any heat insulation and is coming in hot), the mission will probably not compute as acomplished.

7 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Oh I get it. Probably the same thing happens with the dual 'kosmos' automated docking craft, for in that mission a similar thing happens.

I understand that it is difficult for contracts to discern from different craft, creating identification problems. 

However, on those stock 'put a sattelite in orbit' missions, there is a specific provision that it must be a new sattelite, and it works: previous craft already in position to fulfill the contract do not count. That leads me to believe there is some way to force the requisite-fullfilling craft to be brand newly created for the mission. Hence my suggestion: if everything fails, can't you divide the mission in two missions, meant to be picked simultaneously? Hence G7 would be a mission, and G6a would be another, both having its' own demand for a craft, and a docking and safe return goal. 

Could that work?

It was originally setup as 2 missions, but then the contract did not find the proper vehicle that needed to be docked to. I know a little more about how the contract system works now than when I originally tried that approach, so if my new approach doesn't work, that will probably go back to being my fallback.

What you may have noticed is that if the 2 seperate missions were both available at the same time and you launched a craft with 2 Kerbals in it, they would both flag as being completed. That is the challenge if I tried to have 2 separate contracts.

17 hours ago, pap1723 said:

It was originally setup as 2 missions, but then the contract did not find the proper vehicle that needed to be docked to. I know a little more about how the contract system works now than when I originally tried that approach, so if my new approach doesn't work, that will probably go back to being my fallback.

What you may have noticed is that if the 2 seperate missions were both available at the same time and you launched a craft with 2 Kerbals in it, they would both flag as being completed. That is the challenge if I tried to have 2 separate contracts.

Well in any case this is a small drop in the middle of an ocean of awesomeness. The mod is great, congratulations on the patience you had making it - not to mention all the research. 

Btw, I use this mod for ages now. I noticed in more recent versions it got a little lighter (there used to be an unnecessarily high number of missions). You clearly tweaked it down to just the most historically relevant missions. That was a good move. It was boring to have to impact the moon like 10 times until you could finally move along. However you improve this mod in the future, do try to keep it down to the most relevant missions.. imagine the boredom it would be to have to go through, for instance, all the 20 ou 30-something 'corona' missions, half of which were failures ... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.