I'll be 56 this Saturday!

kiwi1960

I was born July 16th, 1960 in the Netherlands...

During my life... I have seen much, witnessed much, felt the pain of others and laughed when others did...

(not in the exact order as it happened...)

Even as a baby... 3 years old, I saw/heard about JFK being assassinated... Martin Luther King Jr being gunned down... two people I admire greatly. I saw the Vietnam war on the TV, the Moon landing, The end of the Vietnam war, Robert Kennedy being assassinated, Apollo 13 returning to earth safe, Viking landing on Mars, the first US - USSR link up in orbit... The Shuttle disaster (and a second one much later) ... SKYLAB... MIR.... I saw the Berlin wall come down... When I was 19, my mother died. I saw the good and the bad in my 56 years!

In my own life, I was blessed with two children, a boy and a girl. When I first laid eyes on them, I cried. I am man enough to admit that.

Yes.... its been a full 56 years of hard living...

Do I feel old, no, but I do feel tired. Life has been bad to me, but lately, its been very good. I got married again to a woman who should be anointed a saint for having to put up with me... but in the 17 months we have been married, we have never once had a bad argument.... plenty of disagreements, but they come with the deal... we still love each other as much as the day we got married.

Just a quick note for all KSP fans. Since the Moon landings, I have always been hooked on all things space, even sci fi... when computers came along, I have dreamt of a game like KSP, and now its a reality... Thanks to Squad for the best game ever... the modders for making great (mostly) mods.... the moderators... yeah, we have locked horns at times, but without you, I suppose the forums would fall apart... and the members of this forum... thanks for helping to make KSP and this forum the awesome place it is....

Old age is nothing to fear, not even death should be feared... people will remember you for how you treated them or how you acted in life....

So.... On Saturday, half my life will be gone.... bring on the next and last 56 years.... :)

(Death will have to drag me to Hell, because I will not leave this realm without one hell of a fight!)

4 hours ago, ToukieToucan said:

Alvast gefeliciteerd!

1 hour ago, E-Rikkie said:

Alvast gefeliciteerd!

Nevermind, it's Congratulations in advance!

Also, happy birthday. I wish I got to experience those historic events like you did, but maybe something will happen this century, idk.

Edited by HoloYolo

Thanks guys.... :)

9 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Nevermind, it's Congratulations in advance!

Also, happy birthday. I wish I got to experience those historic events like you did, but maybe something will happen this century, idk.

It will, sadly, I won't be here to see it, the first Moon colony... Man on Mars... aliens making themselves known to us.... fusion power....

The 20th Century was the start... a teaser if you will, it laid the foundations for the future... Man on the Moon, for example, was the start!

The last century was the wake up call, the century when dreamers came to the fore and nothing was impossible anymore... The youngsters of today will experience that, and much more.

KSP, and its popularity, tells me that the future dreamers are still around, that can only be a good thing. :)

4 hours ago, kiwi1960 said:

It will, sadly, I won't be here to see it, the first Moon colony... Man on Mars... aliens making themselves known to us.... fusion power....

I'm sure there'll be people on Mars by 2040. The advance of technology is accelerating at an impressive rate. We can't imagine precisely what will come in the next thirty years, but it will certainly be quite spectacular. I wish you many more years of happiness!

9 hours ago, LordFerret said:

gilotsav! dabadebis dghes! :)

You have me there.... Its Somali.... but the meaning is unclear. :( (probably "Congratulations to you")

8 hours ago, Camacha said:

I think turning 56 means your warranty has expired.

The warranty on all humans expires the moment you are born! :)

1 hour ago, kiwi1960 said:

You have me there.... Its Somali.... but the meaning is unclear.

Actually, no, it's not Somali, it's Georgian (Republic of Georgia). In the Georgian alphabet, it looks like this: გილოცავ დაბადების დღეს. If you plug that into a translator, it should yield better results. It means of course - Happy Birthday! ^_^

4 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Actually, no, it's not Somali, it's Georgian (Republic of Georgia). In the Georgian alphabet, it looks like this: გილოცავ დაბადების დღეს. If you plug that into a translator, it should yield better results. It means of course - Happy Birthday! ^_^

Yes... I suspected as much (the meaning). Google translate let me down big time! Thanks for that. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Kumbukumbu njema !

Was in a pub with a friend this weekend, one of those places where the younger folks linger around. We were sitting at the bar, two young girls were there playing with their mobile phones. One of them looked at me, then at her friend and said in a loud voice "Let's go, now they're coming here already to die !"

:-)

Edited by Green Baron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.