[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Terrain [v2.2.0] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

UPDATE!

Change Log

• Mac and Linux can now use DDS textures

DOWNLOAD

7 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Sweet - is there a chance you know what's causing textures to stretch sideways, or if there's a way to avoid that? I think it's just a Kopernicus bug but I could be wrong.

its actually a KSP bug. Happens in stock too.. :(

7 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Also another question.... (sorry) It's more visible in brightly colored planets, but is there a way to fix this other than just scaling up texture size from the surface?

If that is just rows caused tiling, the only way to fix it is to make the texture perfectly seamless, not just in texture but in color also. cant have a darker or lighter area on the texture anywhere, it would have to be super perfect. lol This is why i dont make my tiling too small. Its less noticable if its a bit bigger

Edited by Galileo

17 minutes ago, Galileo said:

UPDATE!

Change Log

DOWNLOAD

its actually a KSP bug. Happens in stock too.. :(

If that is just rows caused tiling, the only way to fix it is to make the texture perfectly seamless, not just in texture but in color also. cant have a darker or lighter area on the texture anywhere, it would have to be super perfect. lol This is why i dont make my tiling too small. Its less noticable if its a bit bigger

Woo! Glad to see your Mac and Linux builds came out well :)

Stretch marks - That bug is such an eye sore... at least I know I can't do anything about it :P means I can focus elsewhere

Texture weighting - Hm, I've been using KSPRC textures which for the most part tile surprisingly well. This texture might be an exception though - I get that in order for things to not appear tiled like that you really need to have 'evenly weighted' textures and not just seamless on the edges. You need to have a balance in color throughout the texture or else it'll always have visible tiling. Sadly though that's not easily doable unless it's a solid color (Or like, a noise texture). Just means I need to work harder on tiling though.

Thanks for all the info I can sleep a bit easier now :P - I think I'll be including an edited version of SVE (Just moving around filepaths, nothing more than that) within the Spectra download, but also having installation instructions on how to install KSPRC textures if users so want to. With KSPRC I can have a bit of old school fun, so to speak.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, Shadriss said:

Based on what I'm reading, no reason for a PC user to update to 2.0.4 from 2.0, as it all relates to Mac users, correct?

No there where some texture changes and cfg fixes. Dres for instance didn't display textures correctly and I fixed the terrain jitters on Duna

plus some new textures

Edited by Galileo

Crap - I was hoping I was right. Not on you - problem on my end since I use CKAN to maintain my mods, and this one hasn't been updated there since 2.0. Like I said, not you, as I know you don't handle this. *sigh* OK... *deep mechanical voice* Assuming direct control...

Any idea what makes my landers shimmy the entire time I'm landed on the Mun? The legs look sunk into the surface and the lander wobbles..while slowly moving. If I place something on the ground and switch to another kerbal the part will then elevate above the ground about 100 meters and be stuck there. Any thoughts on what might cause this glitch? I don't think it has anything to do with SVT, just curious if someone on here might have an idea or possibly experienced this with visual terrain. I have about 80 mods installed and I haven't listed them so I'm not looking for the perfect solution, just curious if anyone has experienced this before? Any thoughts on what might cause it?

Just now, smckamey19 said:

Any idea what makes my landers shimmy the entire time I'm landed on the Mun? The legs look sunk into the surface and the lander wobbles..while slowly moving. If I place something on the ground and switch to another kerbal the part will then elevate above the ground about 100 meters and be stuck there. Any thoughts on what might cause this glitch? I don't think it has anything to do with SVT, just curious if someone on here might have an idea or possibly experienced this with visual terrain. I have about 80 mods installed and I haven't listed them so I'm not looking for the perfect solution, just curious if anyone has experienced this before? Any thoughts on what might cause it?

It's not caused by SVT. I have seen it once before. It's either a kopernicus or a stock issue. SVT is just textures and cfgs and doesn't touch anything related to PQS. 

On 4/15/2017 at 7:59 AM, ryan234abc said:

Hey!

So I downloaded the mod. I currently use your SVE so I decided SVT would be another nice addition. When opening the game, I'm greeted with this however:

MOR7MmP.png

If I proceed to enter a game, KSP will crash with no message to say so - it will simply just shut down. I use no mods that add parts, planets etc. to the game. I only use SVE all in one, with the basics like Kerbal Engineer, KerbalX mod etc. No crash log was produced when the game crashed so I cannot provide an output_log. All my mods are up to date, as I re-installed them all using latest versions to no effect. Apologies for taking up your time, but I'm unsure of how to fix this problem and I would appreciate if you could look into it.

Kind regards

Ryan

EDIT: I tried a couple of times more and managed to get in. However, I'm not sure if the game will crash or keep kicking me out in the future, and I'm not sure as to the origins of this map screen bug. Glad I'm in and the mod is working for the moment, but I'll leave this here for you as it may still pique your interest. The yellow terrain still persists in map view and tracking station view, and affects all planets in the system!

EDIT2: Game crashed, will uninstall the mod for now. No crash report yet again.

Golden Kerbin!

On 7/15/2016 at 2:58 AM, Galileo said:

uSQ3mvl.jpg

This is the ground textures mod for any STOCK game. It is developed to work best along side Stock Visual Enhancements.

This mod adds ground textures to ALL celestial bodies within the STOCK SOLAR SYSTEM and makes scatter objects tangible.

Here are some comparative screenshots of the scaled space textures in v2.0, courtesy of @RadGH

Comparative Screenshots

CHANGE LOG

REQUIREMENTS:
KOPERNICUS 
https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases

DOWNLOAD

To install:

1. Install Kopernicus https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases
and drop into GameData.

2. Drop the SVT folder into your GameData folder.

Optional
For the Kopernicus ring shaders to work, download THIS and install it in GameData\Kopernicus\Plugins\ (click Yes if asked to overwrite).

This mod is licensed CC BY-NC-ND

Thank you to @Avera9eJoe and @Endraxial for the awesome scaled space planet textures. (that's half of this mods awesomeness!) 

if you would like to help keep my motivation up, then you can donate. Any amount Is amazing, really!

donate-button.jpg

Any chance you could make improvements to the terrain hight-maps in this as well?  I've been looking for a mod that would get rid of the jagged edges.

1 hour ago, Smarti said:

Hi. Doe`s this mod make also scatterer objects from other mods like Outer Planet Mods tangible?

Nope. Just stock, but I have been considering doing thia for OPM. Perhaps in a future release

Seeing as in OPM-VO I pull a few textures from SVE if SVE is installed, I was planning to include configs to check for SVT and if so/if not apply all the necessary configs to ground scatter and textures. I personally have it on the cards basically for a future release, doesn't affect whether you also intend to or not, Galileo.

6 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Seeing as in OPM-VO I pull a few textures from SVE if SVE is installed, I was planning to include configs to check for SVT and if so/if not apply all the necessary configs to ground scatter and textures. I personally have it on the cards basically for a future release, doesn't affect whether you also intend to or not, Galileo.

Oh, by all means! Go for it! 

7 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

Oh, that would be great! what about ground textures for opm?

That's what I was referring to but if Poodmund is going to do it, I will leave it alone. I have enough mods on my plate as it is. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Galileo. I was looking for explanations in the lasts page of the topic but i didn't find it. Just for my curiosity : why dds + dx11 give these stranges pattern ?

isn't it possible to have a png/tga version ? i remembeed that i fixed the problem with these king of conversion when i was playing under opengl...

Edited by msnbcorp

9 minutes ago, msnbcorp said:

Hi Galileo. I was looking for explanations in the lasts page of the topic but i didn't find it. Just for my curiosity : why dds + dx11 give these stranges pattern ?

isn't it possible to have a png/tga version ? i remembeed that i fixed the problem with these king of conversion when i was playing under opengl...

You can convert the images yourself, but I won't make a version like that. And the last time I checked, the issue persists even with png format on dx11, so it wouldn't matter. 

Just now, msnbcorp said:

OK, no problem :wink:
And for the explanation, my curiosity is still here ^^

I don't have an explanation. It's just something that happens. That, and KSP does not support dx11, so any issues that pop up because of it aren't explained anywhere.

I have digged into some technical documentation. It appears that this kind of effect is linked to the shadow management and seems to be the "Shadow Acne" problem.

Could also be linked to the fact that filter are deactivate on DDS texture in unity. That could agrave the effect maybe. A post and a mod fix under unity to activate trilineear filter : https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dds-textures.81549/

Knowing this body of evidence i tried few thing : using the terrain shadow of scatterer to use normal bias and shadow bias which is a common solution to shadow acne. And trade DDS to PNG. No mipmap generation i imagine and less problem about DDS texture.

Result : PNG only -> little bands but still here

PNG + Scatterer + little higher bias in the catterer windows -> No glitches at all :)

The last problem is that png have no mipmap here ... but i still working on this.

Well after some digging and experiment i managed to correct this problem.
So if you have a 64bit-DX11 and want texture of SVT, here's the full solution i found.

The main problem of SVT texture seems to be double : the DDS seems to have a problem with the shadow managing of unity somehow in this case in DX11 that create a common shadow problem name as Shadow ACNE and this effect remain a little even with the first problem corrected.

So, the first part of the solution is to let unity do the conversion job by putting the texture in TGA (not PNG, PNG don't generate mipmap via unity). The only texture with visible problem i noticed here :

But if you find other strange effect later, just make the conversion in TGA.

But, despite that amelioration it remains a little effect of shadow ACNE. I think it's due to the higher resolution of the texture.

Luckily, classical solution of shadow acne is solved through shadow bias and normal bias. Two parameter that are implémented in ... Scatterer. But, not a chance, scatterer have strange effect on the plane change and shadow with terrain shadow activated. With some help i manage to solve it. Just change the shadowdistance in the config taken by scatterer (in config file of scaterrer in stock scaterrer only or in SVE config file with SVE i guess) and put it to a more default value : 5000. This value make the two plane identical. Don't really understand why, but it works.

Now put the normal bias and shadow bias to a thing like 0.7 ANNNNND.... this WOOOOORK ! ! ! ! ! !

In short  :

- take this texture and put it in SVT/terrain AND delete the old .dds files corresponding.

- find the .cfg of scatterer that you use (and install the last version of scaterrer of course ! ) in SVE/scatterer or whatever.

- change shadowdistance variable in the .cfg to 5000

- put 0.7 of value like this in normal bias and shadow bias in the UI of scaterrer on the main screen of KSP. (right-alt+f12/f11) by default to open.

- > ENJOY DX11 SVT

Edited by msnbcorp

11 minutes ago, Raphaello said:

Good job :)  

what's advantage of DX11 is ksp though?

Less ram usage. Although it has become pretty irrelevant ever since Squad has officially supported x64, people that have a small amount of ram can still benefit, I guess. 

I had been using DX11 when I started playing the game (because  why not) but when I landed on Moho and found its surface to look similar to a farmland (with SVT), i have switched to DX9 and I'm using it now. 

Good to know I'm not loosing anything in the visual department (I don't really care about memory usage). 

@Galileo thanks a lot for your work on SVT and other mods - they really bring KSP experience to a higher level!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.