This Day in Spaceflight History

On 9/18/2016 at 0:18 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

Tethys also has a Pacman heat signature.

Wait, WHAT?! :0.0: How many Pac-Moons are there?

Can Saturn's moons just act like normal astronomical bodies for once? They're making complete fools of themselves, trying to be hit with modern society. I mean, Tethys and Mimas are both 30 years behind!

On September 20, 1966, Surveyor 2 was launched to the Moon to make a soft touchdown. During the midcourse thrust phase of the mission on September 22, one of the engines failed ruining the chances of controlled surface touchdown. It impacted the surface on that day.

Image result for surveyor 2 launch

On September 20, 1970, Luna 16 landed on the Moon. It fulfilled Luna 15's mission by retrieving a soil sample and returning it to Earth.

Image result for luna 16 landing

On September 20, 1992, STS-47 and its crew landed back at Cape Canaveral after an orbital mission with the Spacelab module (it stayed inside the payload the whole mission).

Image result for sts-47 landing

On September 20, 1994, STS-64 and its crew landed back at Edward's Air Force Base after a mission into orbit.

Image result for sts-64 landing

On September 20, 2000, the second man in orbit, Gherman Titov, died of a heart attack while in a sauna.

Image result for gherman titov death

On September 20, 2000, STS-106 landed back at Cape Canaveral after a trip to the ISS.

Image result for sts-106 landing

More coming later today for 9/21! Sorry for the late post! :P

Another little thing for today; on September 21st 1992, formal authorisation was given to the 3-phase Chinese human spaceflight programme, which is consequently known as Project 921. Project 921-1 is development and initial testing of the crew vehicle, 921-2 testing with space labs (we're late in 921-2 right now) and 921-3 launch and commissioning of the modular space station. What comes after 921-3? Nothing that's formally been authorised, so your guess is as good as mine.

On September 21, 1970, Luna 16 completed mining the surface for a sample. The sample was then placed in a small sealed capsule. The ascent stage lifted off from the lunar surface to Earth.

Image result for luna 16 landing

On September 21, 1974, Mariner 10 did its second flyby of Mercury. It photographed the sun-lit region and the northern pole.

Image result for mariner 10 mercury flyby 2

On September 21, 2003, the Galileo probe plunged into the atmosphere of Jupiter to end its mission.

Image result for galileo probe into jupiter's atmosphere

On September 21, 2006, STS-115 and its crew landed back at Cape Canaveral after a mission to the ISS.

Image result for sts-115 landing

On September 22, 1968, the Soviet Zond 5 spacecraft which made a successful translunar flight was recovered.

Image result for zond 5 recovery

On September 22, 1993, STS-51 and its crew landed back at Cape Canaveral after a mission into orbit.

Image result for sts-51 landing

On September 22, 2001, the Deep Space 1 probe did a flyby of Comet Borrely. 

Image result for comet borrelly deep space 1 flyby

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

On September 23, 1846, astronomer Johann Galle discovered the planet Neptune.

Image result for neptune

On September 23, 1976, Soyuz 22 landed back at Earth after a mission into orbit.

Image result for soyuz 22 landing

On September 23, 2006. the Cassini Saturn spacecraft did a flyby of the moon Titan.

Image result for cassini 9/23/06 flyby

Edited by The Raging Sandwich
Titan picture didn't show up.

10 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

On September 23, 1846, astronomer Johann Galle discovered the planet Neptune.

Image result for neptune

On September 23, 1976, Soyuz 22 landed back at Earth after a mission into orbit.

Image result for soyuz 22 landing

On September 23, 2006. the Cassini Saturn spacecraft did a flyby of the moon Titan.

Image result for cassini 9/23/06 flyby

Would THIS count for a spaceflight/space related event on September 23rd?

SEPTEMBER 23RD, 2015: Two luminous orbs appear on the unlit part of the First Quarter moon. I record the odd event in an astronomy journal and sketch out the lights and their location. They persist for at least 20 minutes before I complete my observations. This is the first time I've revealed the anomaly to anyone outside those I know well. 

I doubt this will count, even though it was real. I wonder if anyone else saw something like this...

Also, happy 170th anniversary of Neptune's discovery!

13 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

SEPTEMBER 23RD, 2015: Two luminous orbs appear on the unlit part of the First Quarter moon. I record the odd event in an astronomy journal and sketch out the lights and their location. They persist for at least 20 minutes before I complete my observations. This is the first time I've revealed the anomaly to anyone outside those I know well. 

I doubt this will count, even though it was real. I wonder if anyone else saw something like this...

Also, happy 170th anniversary of Neptune's discovery!

You are a UFO magnet! :D

14 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Did you see it through a telescope only, or could you see it with the naked eye? If there were any lights nearby, they might have been able to do some weird reflection thingyTM to show up in the telescope, but if not then that's very interesting.

3 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

You are a UFO magnet! :D

I can confirm that. Do not ask me about all 40+ sightings, or else Cranium Explosion-ing could occur.

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Did you see it through a telescope only, or could you see it with the naked eye? If there were any lights nearby, they might have been able to do some weird reflection thingyTM to show up in the telescope, but if not then that's very interesting.

I only saw it through my telescope. The lights were small, and I ruled out other types of reflections by moving the scope to get better views. 

Also, to be on this thread's topic, Happy 62,051 day anniversary of Neptune's discovery!

Edited by ProtoJeb21
Dangit, spellcheck!!!

On September 24, 1930, US astronaut John Young was born. He flew on Gemini 3, Gemini 10, Apollo 10, Apollo 16, and two shuttle missions including STS-1.

Image result for john young

On September 24, 1970, Luna 16 returned its lunar soil sample to Earth.

Image result for luna 16 sample recovery

On September 24, 2005, the Cassini Saturn spacecraft did an untargeted flyby of the moon Tethys.

Image result for cassini tethys flyby september 24th

On September 25, 1960, the Pioneer P 30 probe was launched in an attempt to get into lunar orbit. The failure of the upper stage of the Atlas-Able launch vehicle hindered the success of the mission.

Image result for pioneer p 30 launch

On September 25, 1973, the crew of the Skylab 3 mission landed back at Earth.

Image result for skylab 3 landing

On September 25, 2013, the Soyuz TMA-10M spacecraft and its crew of 3 (2 Russian and 1 American) launched into orbit on a mission to the ISS. It docked to the station on the same day.

Image result for soyuz tma-10m launch

On September 25, 2014, Soyuz TMA-14M and its crew of 3 (2 Russian and 1 American) launched into orbit to the ISS on Expedition 42. One of the solar arrays failed to deploy after the spacecraft separated from the third stage of the launch vehicle. It docked to the ISS on September 26.

Image result for soyuz tma-14m launch

On September 26, 1958, the US Vanguard 2D satellite was launched.

Image result for vanguard 2 launch

On September 26, 1980, the Soyuz 38 spacecraft and its crew landed back at Earth after a mission to the Salyut 6 space station.

On September 26, 1983, the Soyuz T-10-1 spacecraft was to launch to the Salyut 6 space station, but the launch vehicle exploded as the spacecraft launched. The crew aborted and sent the Soyuz spacecraft hurtling away from the explosion safe from harm.

Image result for soyuz-10-1 explosion

On September 26, 1985, the Soyuz T-13 spacecraft and its crew landed back at Earth after a mission to the Salyut 7 space station.

On September 26, 1996, STS-79 and its crew landed back at Cape Canaveral after a mission to the Mir space station.

Image result for sts-79 landing

On September 26, 1997, STS-86 and its crew of 8 launched into orbit on a trip to the Mir space station. It docked with the station late on the 27th.

Image result for sts-86 launch

On September 26, 1998, the Galileo Jupiter spacecraft did its 17th flyby of the moon Europa.

Image result for galileo europa 17 flyby

On September 26, 2005, the Cassini Saturn spacecraft did a flyby of the moon Hyperion.

Image result for cassini hyperion flyby 9/26

On September 27, 1967, the Soyuz 7K-L1 (Zond) spacecraft was launched. Once of the first-stage engines failed and the spacecraft landed 65 kilometers away from the Baikanour launchpad.

Image result for Soyuz 7K-L1 s/n 4L launch

On September 27, 1973, the Soyuz 12 spacecraft and its crew of 2 launched into orbit on a mission to the first Salyut space station.

Image result for soyuz 12 launch 1973

On September 27, 2007, the Dawn asteroid belt probe was launched. It would first orbit the large asteroid Vesta and then flyby Ceres. It used a Mars flyby to its advantage to boost it to Vesta in 2011 and then Ceres in 2015.

Image result for dawn spacecraft launch

On September 27, 2008, Chinese astronaut Zhai Zhigang stepped out of the Shenzhou-7 spacecraft and became the first Chinese astronaut to conduct an EVA.

Image result for shenzhou 7 eva 1

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Not sure if it "fits," but you might want to add in a little something about Elon's presentation. Or not, if it doesn't really fit. :D

I think when that behemoth flies, it will be worthy of a mention. Until then, we will keep it in mind.

9 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

When did he have a presentation and for what?

What was previously known as the MCT/BRF and is now the ITS. An Earth-to-Mars-to-Earth methalox SSTO with Earth-orbit refuel and Mars ISRU; 300 t capacity or 100-200 passengers in some configurations.

23 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

On September 27, 1967, the Soyuz 7K-L1 (Zond) spacecraft was launched. Once of the first-stage engines failed and the spacecraft landed 65 kilometers away from the Baikanour launchpad.

7K L1 was the designation for that model of Soyuz, not the individual craft. The September 27th launch was the first flight with L1 #4 (1-3 being behind test vehicles).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.