Kerbal Cities Pack

amankd

12 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Your Spacedock entry should link to the forum thread here. Regardless, this seems ambitious and I love that. Obviously, though, it does seem almost too ambitious, especially considering the RAM load on the game. Is it possible to set a range that it spawns/despawns depending on where the player is? Maybe only having a finite amount of city types will make it not as intensive. Hopefully, whatever you do, I'm looking forward to this. Any chance to take over the old Kerbin City mod and incorporate it into here? Or maybe make some of these cities nearby to Kerbin-Side's bases?

i have BOTH thouse ideas, 20km spawn range and min dustance is about 40, this will vary range wise so only one city ever spawns and thera are only going to be about 20 cities

the time has come or another big kerbal cities pack release! this time with roads and signs? 

http://spacedock.info/mod/839/Kerbal Cities Pack

15 hours ago, TUKE said:

Looks nice, but that freeway looks way too narrow.

working on that right now, as well as other means of getting onto the city other than the highway, we also have a superhighway which will link the larger more imortant cities

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2016 at 1:15 PM, amankd said:

Ksp is a very poorly optimized game in reality, and despite the low poly count of my buildings they still take up a lot of processor so the hit is quite heavy but I have no idea how heavy as I have never played it on my PC and I need a wide spectrum to put a spec together (more on that later)

what YOU can do!

Ideas if you have any ideas for features, improvements or how to complete my ambitious goals please do give a comment 

On the ideas and performance issues: I suggest making Kerbin City farther away from the KSC as it would fix the lag issues when launching from the KSC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2016 at 7:17 PM, InfiniteAtom said:

On the ideas and performance issues: I suggest making Kerbin City farther away from the KSC as it would fix the lag issues when launching from the KSC.

the issue with that is that then you loose the ability to just drive there for a drive around cos its too far

fantastic mod. i think that the performance hit is from the stony texture on the buildings, and the rendering for the sandpapery effect makes it lag. 

also, on a request side, can I i has a road to the pirate base? and a "jets retreat" on top of those mountains behind the KSC?

well done and keep it up

15 hours ago, Squishydoo said:

fantastic mod. i think that the performance hit is from the stony texture on the buildings, and the rendering for the sandpapery effect makes it lag. 

also, on a request side, can I i has a road to the pirate base? and a "jets retreat" on top of those mountains behind the KSC?

well done and keep it up

The performance hit is entirely polycount based, not the textures, textures actually have very little effect

23 hours ago, amankd said:

The performance hit is entirely polycount based, not the textures, textures actually have very little effect

Hi, even though I've tried out the mod I couldn't tell, is the model 1 model?  as in no detached parts apart from colliders? or is it many different models assembled into a prefab? if it's the latter I believe it would be the draw calls for each mesh that slow the loading etc. (and something that could be improved upon quite easily)  Still a great idea and mod all the same :)

On 05/10/2016 at 11:24 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, even though I've tried out the mod I couldn't tell, is the model 1 model?  as in no detached parts apart from colliders? or is it many different models assembled into a prefab? if it's the latter I believe it would be the draw calls for each mesh that slow the loading etc. (and something that could be improved upon quite easily)  Still a great idea and mod all the same :)

it should be a single mesh, but you know unity and its mesh colliderrs, it has to be broken down for the ability to apply mnesh colliders, in this case ever material is a seperate mesh, which depending on the city may or may not be subdevided upon import into unity into smaller meshes that can have a mesh collider applied to them

• 3 weeks later...

here are some things you could add if you're going for realism:

-airports

-pedestrians

-moving cars on the roads

-suburbs

-a capital city with a really tall skyscraper

- businesses and logos on buildings

-(here's one I REALLY WANT) - You know how there are manufacturers in the game? How about putting a factory, or facility, or whatever for each business, and have each one unique to each manufacturer? For example, Jeb's Junkyard would have a giant pile of rusty, old, destroyed rockets, C7 would have a giant, modern-looking complex with a runway, and Probododyne would have a bunch of small buildings with parts piled around it - it would be modeled after the real world JPL. If you need any more ideas, I'll let you know what I have.

• 2 months later...

My idea is to make more life in the cities, as i know, there is just empty, BUT, why not adding random kerbals moving randomly around, like, when it is night, all of them go into their buildings, when days appears again, they can go into their cars, or to the airports and planes that can fly, but you not control, or go to the buildings called for stores... OK i begin to talkin out of this term, i know that is not gonna work, BUT, atleast why not small cities (1 km - 5 km), medium size (5 - 10 km) large (10-50km), all of this WITH SUBURBAN AREAS?... to maybe match the citylight textures form the EVE mod?

Edited by hanhan658

10 hours ago, hanhan658 said:

My idea is to make more life in the cities, as i know, there is just empty, BUT, why not adding random kerbals moving randomly around, like, when it is night, all of them go into their buildings, when days appears again, they can go into their cars, or to the airports and planes that can fly, but you not control, or go to the buildings called for stores... OK i begin to talkin out of this term, i know that is not gonna work, BUT, atleast why not small cities (1 km - 5 km), medium size (5 - 10 km) large (10-50km), all of this WITH SUBURBAN AREAS?... to maybe match the citylight textures form the EVE mod?

Because thats all really lovein hard, i just want some excrements to fly in! 

Thought I would share my experiences with the mod so far.  Everything installed ok, looked good, etc.  So I went ahead and grabbed a tank and drove it from the KSC into town.  I'll admit it took me a few tries to do this.  The road is very narrow, even though the tank I was driving wasn't particularly huge, it was still quite hard to keep it off the walls of the highway, and on the down slope heading into town, I managed to drive clean off the bridge.  4km long bridge: 1, me 0.  After a few more tries I decided to forgo the bridge and just off road my way into town which worked fine.  The city itself looks quite nice; it's deserted but not much that can be done there.  I drove around on it absolutely fine, didn't have any trouble with getting stuck or anything.  Performance-wise there is a noticeable hit to fps when the city is in view, but all things considered it's acceptable and I don't have any problems controlling whatever I'm using.  The only problem I really have is that the city mod makes KSP crazy unstable.  It has a nasty habit of crashing, usually after a revert or after freshly spawning in on the runway.  However, I only seem to have 4 crash folders, even though I have crashed way more than 4 times.  I can give you the 4 folders I do have if it helps.  I have gone through the trouble of confirming that this was the mod responsible for the crashes, I removed the mod from the gamedata folder to see if things improved and the game has not crashed since.  Overall, a very good mod, I quite like it, just needs a little more stability.  I look forward to seeing what comes next for kerbal cities.

• 1 month later...

Just discovered this and I love it. I've got a few questions/thoughts that are hopefully helpful:

1. I intend to test it out when I get a chance, but what kind of performance issues are we talking about here? What size ships (in terms of part count) are people launching? What frame rate are people getting at 100/200/300/etc parts for this or that cpu/gpu? Would it be helpful to put together a spreadsheet that people can provide this data, to get a feel for how it's performing?

2. Go easy on detail. I'd rather have relatively crude cities that run reasonably well and don't crash my game than an extravagant city only a few players are able to open up. There's always going to be temptation to add more detail, but at some point it's not worth it. Personally, I'd rather see more cities like what you have than more detail in the one that already exists.

3. Move the KSC city outside the physics range of the launchpad and runway. Would this help with performance? I get the idea behind having the city right there, but most people are just going to want this for a rare visit or for the aesthetic of having actual cities to see and fly past. Performance for people playing the game normally should be a priority. Otherwise people will load this up once for the novelty and be done with it.

4. I expect the biggest problem with moving the city is it's not as easily accessible to rovers. So would it be possible to introduce a teleport mechanic? Lots of mods spawn/place vehicles, so I assume this is very doable. I imagine that you could tie it to the highway system. All of your cities should be connected by a road network. As you're leaving one city, there's a road sign with the name of the next city (and distance) right? So imagine if you could drive up to this road sign (say, within 100 meters) and choose to fast-travel to that destination. I imagine it would be a right-click, context menu button that appears when you are in range of these road signs. Now all you need to do is connect KSC to the highway network, drive your rover up to the "KSC City" sign, and teleport to the city. This also makes it possible for you to bring your rover to all of the other cities around the world without having to drive across the entire planet (which nobody will do)

5. Ditch the curb on the highway. Don't see much of a point to it and seems like it's been frustrating to people.

6. Might be fun to have an easter egg city or two that aren't connected?

7. I'd like to see perhaps one unique structure in each city. I don't know if this is workable, with how you're creating them. But if it is, I'd put this high on the priority list. Would be awesome if each city had just one thing that really set it apart. Something to go and see that you can't see anywhere else. A giant monument of Kerbal here. An Eiffel Tower inspired in one city. A giant arch there. You get the idea.

8. Would be super awesome if you coordinated the location of your cities with the "city lights" of EVE/SVE. Or at least pointed your locations out in those forums (when nearing completion) so that people can make textures that match your city locations.

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, colfighter said:

can kerbal konstructs be used to build more cities?

If you've seen the Kollaborative Warfare series on YouTube, they have placed the city in other places so I assume it's possible, just don't know how, myself.

23 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

If you've seen the Kollaborative Warfare series on YouTube, they have placed the city in other places so I assume it's possible, just don't know how, myself.

I tried doing it but when I moved the city to certain areas, the world turned into a black and orange void

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.