Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

How weird, crazy, or dangerous has your weather gotten? Is there a weather event you would like to share? Have you ever experienced a blizzard, tornado, or hurricane? Here are a few I would like to share:

• I've been hit by 5 tropical storms/hurricanes (that I am aware of).
  • There was once a winter without any major weather events.
  • There was a lightning strike in the middle of winter.
  • Several thunderstorms have randomly dissipated right before hitting where I live. Strange...
  • I participated in a meteorology program for at least a year.
Edited by ProtoJeb21

20 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

How weird, crazy, or dangerous has your weather gotten?

No biggie.  I live where the weather always sucks.  Can't tell much difference, other than the general cooling trend over the last 15 years or so.  Used to be, it was over 100F every day from early July until late September, but the last 5 or 6 years we haven't cracked 3 digits but 2 or 3 times.

Edited by Geschosskopf

'Round here, it rarely rains, often blazes, and occasionally the ground rumbles. It's pretty mild in the valley, except for the sun. Gets up to 115F (that's ~48C for all you civilized folks) all through the summer.
The mountains twenty minutes away have winter, though. They're weird. Sometimes ice lands on the ground in piles.

I'm a little on your side @LordFerret, but climate and weather are two different things. Weather is measured at a single place at a certain time. Climate is something more "political", it's a statistical figure for a certain area over a timespan.

While weather for the next few days can be quite reasonably computed provided the model fits and the computherium is big enough climate is modeled on a larger scale and thus a little diffuse, though reasonable enough for big picture. But we have the IPCC, politicians and journalists that browse through scientific publications to predict the future changes from them (no sarcasm !). They look for those tiny changes in glacier dynamics, or atmospheric composition and sell us the implications to the future.

Nevertheless predictions are difficult, particularly those regarding the future.

I've never been in an abnormal weather-phenomenon until now, but i live in a relatively quiet environment.

Reading all those weird weather reports made me kind of glad I'm living in central Europe. We do have the occasional thunderstorms (and snowstorms in winter) but nothing as drastic as what you guys are describing. 

2-3 thunderstorms a year, 2-3 windstorms a year. The only real notable one was a windstorm in 2006, where a storm packing 120km/h winds blowing in an unusual direction levelled 41 hectares (over 100 trees) of Stanley Park in Vancouver, and did extensive damage to the seawall there.

If we get 2 inches or more of snow in Vancouver (once or twice a year, usually) it's paralyzed...

In Penticton, we once had a large, dead evergreen fall on our house, without doing any damage at all,. It pulled out by the root ball, so that must have slowed the fall.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Solar flares, proton storms, sometimes gamma-bursts from outside, often geomagnetic storms.
Streams of ultraviolet alternating with solid clouds of protium hydroxyl covering all over the sky.
Only the radiation belt helps, but the planet core with magnetic poles looks liquid and unstable too, and the crust shakes from time to time.

Edited by kerbiloid

While we don't have such extreme weather conditions here in western Europe, I swear, it's getting more weird every year.

This summer's the coldest it's ever been.
So much so that some plants are already dropping their leaves, birds are still laying eggs, and I'm still forced to wear a jacked to work.

This week is much better though.
Sunday I took a nice stroll along the beach and today we BBQ!

I'm going to enjoy it to the fullest as it seems this nice weather is getting more and more rare.

Houston reporting in. It once rained here for two whole months and didn't flood. Now that's extreme! Too many Ohioans and Michiganers and Californians have built too many cookie-cutter cardboard houses on too much land that used to be run-off swampland that now it floods if somebody cries a little too much. 

Daily thunderstorms in the summer are par for the course. (And welcome, as it's usually brutally hot.) It used to snow in December, but I've not seen snow for four years now.

The weather today is enough to make me want to move to Alaska. Or Maine. Or Pittsburgh.

Philadelphia/Western New Jersey. LOTS of summer thunderstorms. If there's more than an inch of snow in the winter, all schools and workplaces are closed and it takes days for the city to recover. It gets insanely cold in the winter. Many people that walk to and from school have red faces, even if they were only out for a few minutes. In the summer, people usually come in red, from sunburns. In the spring, it's all rain. Little sun. Lots of mud. In the fall, we get occasional rain storms, and it's mostly cloudy. It snows a lot in the winter, and we usually get a few days off. The summer is hot, humid, and full of afternoon thunderstorms. I personally don't enjoy it. 

We have had two tornadoes

We have had lots of hail, too. It's rare and only happens during rare huge thunderstorms.

Nothing else really.

Edited by HoloYolo

On 7/19/2016 at 11:32 AM, Cydonian Monk said:

Daily thunderstorms in the summer are par for the course. (And welcome, as it's usually brutally hot.)

Welcome for a few minutes, anyway.  Once the rain stops, it's just as hot as it was, the water all evaporates, and the humidity is maxed out.

And any breeze you get feels like a blast from a furnace.

Only two days ago, my state got hit by severe thunderstorms (for like, what? The 13th time this month?), and a large one passed about 20 miles ENE (east-northeast). It was about 8:30 at night, and the storm had this eerie mix of gray to it. What was amazing was that, despite being miles away, this thunderhead towered into the sky. I could see flashes coming from swollen masses of clouds and a few bolts of lightning shooting out of the towering storm. It was terriflying but beautiful.

I better get used to these storms, because another one is coming tomorrow. Fun times ahead. At least the change in the Jet Stream will (hopefully) make tomorrow's storm the last of the severe ones.

39 minutes ago, Rainbowtrout said:

It was nearing 35 celcius on Tuesday. Let's hope that it never happens again.

:mad:

The lowest high temperature we've had this month was 33, with a total of six days below 35 degrees.

My location's weather is taking a turn for the worst. I'm in the middle of two groups of severe thunderstorms, one that just left and another that will arrive in an hour or two. Both have an 8/10 severe threat, with destructive winds, moderate hail, and lots o' lightning. I've managed to not get hit terribly hard so far, but I don't want to push my luck. Temperatures have started to exceed 300 kelvin (28 celsius/80 fahrenheit) on a daily basis, with the highs now pushing 305 to 308 kelvin every day. The heat index values have gone all the way up to 313 kelvin (40 celsius/105 fahrenheit). It's starting to feel a LOT like Tau Ceti e here, maybe too much for my own good.

Here's the worst part: These 305+ kelvin temperatures will continue for at least a week, and there's going to be a 3.5-day long streak of thunderstorms starting on Thursday. REALLY fun times ahead.

For space weather, it's also not great. Three large eruptions just happened on the Sun yesterday.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.