Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:58 AM, HoloYolo said:

Although I live in Philly, I decided to take a 2 week vacation to see my grandparents in FT Myers, Florida. There has been a storm a day. The thunder is booming and loud. The lightning struck right across the canal. There is an osprey that watches us from around there in its nest, staring, watching. There has not been a day where you could hear thunder here. IT is loud. It's extremely humid here, and it never goes below 90 until 5 or 6 o clock. Other than that, we went to Epcot in Disney World (lots of fun, but very hot). It's never windy here, it really doesn't help. It was fun down here, I wish I could visit again.

Yup, here in Florida it's now the middle of rainy season, and today was the first time I've seen the sun in days. Typical tropical summer, hot, sticky, and lots of T-storms... blehhh.  :P

If you come back down, try and do it in the winter when it's freezing there and nice here.

Edited by Just Jim

The Weather Channel app has proven to be a bit unreliable. It always seems to make certain weather forecasts and current conditions look worse. For example, earlier today it said it was "Fair" outside when it clearly was completely sunny. I hope this is the case with their forecast for isolated thunderstorms later tonight at the end of the night's star party, and their prediction for partly cloudy skies. This is the first time in nearly 2 months I've been to that observatory!

6 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I caught a picture of what may be a set of UFO's, along with the Moon and a lightning strike:

iopQVDw.jpg

Well, of course it's a set of UFOs. They're:

• Unidentified: You don't know what they are
  • Flying: They're not on the ground
  • Objects: They are obviously physical "things".

Were all three of those dots moving, and in the same direction? If that's the case, I would guess a group of military aircraft as it's extremely unlikely that three spacecraft would be synchronized in that position and be bright enough to see next to the almost-full Moon.

Yesterday there was a big thunderstorm. Hail was predicted but it must have stopped before reaching my area, where there was just lots of rain and lightning. Right now it's really foggy, I'd guess visibility is around 150-200 m. It's supposed to be really hot and humid later today.

On 8/2/2016 at 5:45 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

92 Fahrenheit...that's not really that hot. The hottest it ever got in my area was sometime between 2007 and 2009, where it reached 315 Kelvin (107 Fahrenheit). And that's not including the heat index values! The next hottest was one day in July of 2012, where it got to 312.5 Kelvin (102 Fahrenheit).

Also, on the subject of weather, the Atlantic's 5th cyclone this year just formed. It is tropical storm Earl, and it managed to kill 6 people before it fully formed! And it's also moving pretty fast towards Mexico. It may get to a Category 1 hurricane, or it may cross over to the Pacific Ocean. I would not be surprised if it did, considering the storm's odd and complex history so far.

I would think a more proper way to put that would be '6 people died as a result of the storm'. Storms don't kill people, they're just storms doing stuff that storms do. When people are out in the midst of storms, doing things they shouldn't be doing in storms, they can get killed if they're not careful... which is why when storms are coming, you stay informed and get to safety. In this day and age, there's almost no excuse for getting caught in a storm; Fifty years ago, it was a different story.

And while it's sad 6 people had to lose their lives, here in the USA, approximately 30,000 people die each year just from the common flu. A little perspective.

On 8/4/2016 at 11:58 AM, HoloYolo said:

Although I live in Philly, I decided to take a 2 week vacation to see my grandparents in FT Myers, Florida. There has been a storm a day. The thunder is booming and loud. The lightning struck right across the canal. There is an osprey that watches us from around there in its nest, staring, watching. There has not been a day where you could hear thunder here. IT is loud. It's extremely humid here, and it never goes below 90 until 5 or 6 o clock. Other than that, we went to Epcot in Disney World (lots of fun, but very hot). It's never windy here, it really doesn't help. It was fun down here, I wish I could visit again.

That sounds like typical east coast (Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area) Florida weather. Of all the times I've ever been to Florida, it's quite consistent that around 4:15pm there's a short thunderstorm which lasts all of 5 minutes. You could almost set your watch to it lol. Also, a number of times, I've literally stood on one side of the street and watched a torrential downpour on the other side of the street... not even being hit by so much as a drop of rain the duration. I've always found that weird.

On 8/13/2016 at 5:53 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

The Weather Channel app has proven to be a bit unreliable. It always seems to make certain weather forecasts and current conditions look worse. For example, earlier today it said it was "Fair" outside when it clearly was completely sunny. I hope this is the case with their forecast for isolated thunderstorms later tonight at the end of the night's star party, and their prediction for partly cloudy skies. This is the first time in nearly 2 months I've been to that observatory!

These days I've been using the "1Weather" app, and it's been quite accurate. The severe weather alerts (so far) have been spot on. I also like the ability to pop open the map and have Doppler radar for a peek at what's coming.

Our summers here usually include at least one forest fire (in the Pine Barrens). Just like forest fires anywhere else, they're dangerous, fast moving, lots of hot cinders and choking smoke. The fires are actually beneficial though, as they bring new growth. If nature doesn't start a fire on her own, often our parks service will (controlled burns over large tracts of land); And while such controlled fires usually don't end up destroying property / homes, there's still a lot of hot cinders and smoke and danger involved.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Well, it looks like I'm going to get hit by Hurricane Hermine soon! Is anyone else going to be affected by this storm? It's going to be a pretty big issue for a pretty big part of the United States.

You too? Well it ought to be quick thankfully.

6 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

You too? Well it ought to be quick thankfully.

Yeah, since I won't be getting it until this weekend, Hermine will have substantially weakened. This will be my 4th or 5th tropical cyclone I've been through.

24 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

When we survive all this- we Floridians should get a drink sometime. 

Nah, I'm in Charleston, SC. However, Florida looks like it's going to get hit hard by this, so stay safe man. I'm just hoping downtown here doesn't flood (lots of the city of Charleston on the peninsula of land most of downtown's built on, especially more historic areas, is below sea level). Thankfully I'm in a 6-story college dorm, but nonetheless, it may be rough if things are worse than expected.

Just now, ScriptKitt3h said:

Nah, I'm in Charleston, SC. However, Florida looks like it's going to get hit hard by this, so stay safe man. I'm just hoping downtown here doesn't flood (lots of the city of Charleston on the peninsula of land most of downtown's built on, especially more historic areas, is below sea level). Thankfully I'm in a 6-story college dorm, but nonetheless, it may be rough if things are worse than expected.

It ought not to be. It's catagory one so by the time it reaches you it'll be mostly dead (it's drying up as we speak as of matter of fact). Weather men said that the storm reached its peak a few hours ago. 

So your in for a few scattered thunder storms but nothing bad.

Hurricane Hermine's northern clouds provided some amazing views yesterday, and even left behind an amazingly clear sky during the night. I'm awaiting the storm's return on Monday, where the odd clouds will return with 40+ mph wind gusts.

On 2.9.2016 at 3:00 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

Here in Sweden, if you don't know the weather forecast, it's safe to assume that it's going to be rainy tomorrow. At least the power grid is stable. I've been hit by 3 major thunderstorms in my 7 years of Sweden and not once has the power gone out.

Power lines in europe have dedicated masts, mostly metal. In USA the cables are frequently nailed to the trees or just wooden poles ... and europe doesn't have hurricanes. Not yet :-)

Edited by Green Baron

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 9:51 AM, LordFerret said:

I would think a more proper way to put that would be '6 people died as a result of the storm'. Storms don't kill people, they're just storms doing stuff that storms do. When people are out in the midst of storms, doing things they shouldn't be doing in storms, they can get killed if they're not careful... which is why when storms are coming, you stay informed and get to safety. 

As I recall from hurricane Charlie back in 04 (realising that was 12 years ago kind of makes me feel old) the biggest cause of fatalities in our area was carbon monoxide poisoning due to people running generators INSIDE their homes. 

I live in a small town in Iowa. Very small, surrounded by fields of corn. Once, we had a storm that produced winds that could have gusted into triple digits (!).

Small town, surrounded by fields of corn. Over 300 trees were blown down. Yet my model rocket that was stuck in a tree stayed in the tree. :mad:

One of the trees had a root system the size of a house. Which was completely torn out of the ground. Making a hole in the ground the size of a house. A car happened to be parked above the root system and fell into the hole. And the tree crushed a travel trailer that happened to be parked in the wrong spot.

Image result for tipton, iowa storm 300 trees  hole

I went to South Dakota for a week and there was warnings for baseball sized hail. While we were on the road in a borrowed car. Fun times :D

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.