Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

These are my most memorable.

Waxahachie/Reagor Springs, TX - Lightning storm ~1998 while driving US 287: At dusk dark clouds rolled in quickly. Dark like the devil is coming to get you dark. Dense rainfall relieved some motorists of their faculties causing them to stop their vehicles right in the middle of the got'anged highway. Lightning bolts flashed every few seconds. Transformers friggen exploded off the power line posts. Downed live wires arced and flailed across the highway. It was frightening and thrilling.

Pichanaki, Peru - Thunderstorm 2004: I'd never heard anything like it before. A calm, moderately overcast day and then out of the blue came the loudest and most concussive report I'd ever heard or felt from a storm. I thought the military base across the field was being shelled. When the family I was with let me know it was just thunder I loved every minute of it.

Santa Elena Canyon, Big Bend National Park - Thunderstorm 2008: What I found remarkable about this storm was not the storm itself (even though it was loud and impressive) but the actions of wildlife that let one know a storm was on it's way. Every animal near the river (reptiles, insects, mammals large and small) were all on the move and heading for higher ground at least an hour before the average person might say something like, "hey, it looks like it might rain." It was really interesting to observe.

Edited by Green Man
misspelling

This is concerning.

203708W5_NL_sm.gif

Not only is Hurricane Matthew intensifying greater and faster than expected, it may affect a large portion of the East Coast! So I may be getting hit by this thing. Also, Matthew's trajectory close to Hati is very worrisome.

(Image from National Hurricane Center [NHC])

• 1 month later...

I've decided to track and name these things I call "Almost-Tropical Cyclones." They are areas of low pressure enveloped in associated thunderstorms with gale-force winds. However, their centers of circulation are almost closed, or they're almost tropical, or no meteorological institute designates them. Two good examples are Invest-99L from mid October (aka AT-Storm Adwell) and that Medicane from over the weekend (Strong AT-Storm Bobak/Tropical Storm Iona). I've made a list of 22 names for Almost-Tropical (AT) Depressions/Storms/Hurricanes from 2016 to 2017, made up entirely of Kerbal names (a lot from "The Saga of Emiko Station"). Adwell and Bobak were the first of the list. Next up is Chuck, which should be coming soon. An area of low pressure several hundred miles northeast of the Lesser Antilles is showing signs of a near-closed center of circulation on surface maps, and its barometric pressure is tropical depression strength (1002 mbar). I'm currently calling it an Almost-Tropical Depression (winds aren't at gale force yet), but it could become and stay Chuck by tomorrow.

Right now the weather is calm, the ground is wet from the rain a few hours ago, there is no sun shining and there is no wind. It is 11 degrees celcius.

While i was cycling back home, there was only a very slight wind against me. Usually the wind makes me slow down at half my relaxing but still going fast speed, wich is 14 kilometers per hour. (Haha no miles for you Americans lolololololol!)

And during winter time, the sun almost blinds me at that one last road during my trip back home, (where the wind against me kicks in too). But luckily, a pack of clouds protected me!

Best weather this year so far!

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Right now the weather is calm, the ground is wet from the rain a few hours ago, there is no sun shining and there is no wind. It is 11 degrees celcius.

While i was cycling back home, there was only a very slight wind against me. Usually the wind makes me slow down at half my relaxing but still going fast speed, wich is 14 kilometers per hour. (Haha no miles for you Americans lolololololol!)

And during winter time, the sun almost blinds me at that one last road during my trip back home, (where the wind against me kicks in too). But luckily, a pack of clouds protected me!

Best weather this year so far!

I feel like this is how the weather here was/is today. Where are you?

I've been tracking that low pressure system I mentioned a few days ago, and I've classified it as a Semi-Tropical Cyclone. It has gained the name Chuck, and reached peak intensity yesterday. I'd have to admit, it was pretty hard getting the info about Chuck I needed when I needed it, since NOAA wasn't tracking it as a subtropical cyclone. But using the high seas and wind forecast I found Chuck's peak to be 50 mph winds and a pressure of 996 millibars. It is no longer being monitored for tropical cyclone development, and should dissipate sometime tomorrow.

Also, while checking Weather Underground for radar images of Chuck, I found that Chicago has a current temperature of 66.6 degrees Fahrenheit. It looks like they're doomed.

• 3 weeks later...

My current weather stuff:

-Flurries for Winter Storm Argos. Come south, Argos! COME SOUTH!!!

-Very windy. Gusts reaching or exceeding tropical depression/storm strength.

-An eye in Tropical Depression Sixteen?! No joke, it has an eye! I can't post the satellite image of it right now, because I'm in school, but I'll have it up later.

I live just south of Washington DC (the capital of 'Murica for you non-Muricans), and, according to the weather app on my nook, it is 34° F and partly cloudy. We just had a Weekend of Fours Seasons, with 70° Temps on Friday, and then it was about 40 with high winds from Saturday night to this morning - I even lost power for a bit yesterday. The most extreme weather? Last winter (2015-16) we had  several FEET of snow, which ended with me pulling out my fifty-year-old snowshoes and having to walk over the snow to get anywhere. That night I taught myself how to A) removes now with explosives and B) sew with paracord and duct tape. 

Several years ago, we got hurricane Sandy, which was a beast, and that was how I learned to chase trampolines and/or trash cans

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.