How to edit console button mappings

Hi all,

As a longtime KSP fan who was very disappointed with KSP's dodgy control scheme and lack of configurability on consoles, there's no doubt that Squad/Flying Tiger must know how fans feel about the control scheme by now, so I'll try to add something more constructive here.

So as it turns out both consoles do allow some buttons to be remapped, and while it may not be a huge help with many of KSP's context-sensitive controls, it might still come in handy for some. 

PS4 - Dual Shock 4 (scroll down to Button Assignments)
This tool is fairly basic and doesn't allow inverting axes, duplicate mappings to the same button/function, anything with the touchpad, or any other options besides basic "like-for-like" input swapping.

rtaImage?eid=ka6310000001FpZ&feoid=00N31

Xbox One Standard Controller
Xbox One Elite Controller

This one seems a little better than the PS4 equivalent, but seems have a few artificial restrictions in place that mean you have to have the pricey Elite controller to get the most out of it. 

f8880017-67f6-4c18-a1f4-697061efec17.png

Edited by Liquid

This would, in my opinion negate anything you have learned or gotten used to in ksp console version, if you do change one button you have to assume you have change around atleast 3 controls in the game, even then the game is still going to show their mapping for it.  Personally going to wait for them to allow button editing or something along those lines.  Also, doesn't that mean it would still have the change for other games as well?  Seems to much a hassle compared to just learning to adjust.

On 19/07/2016 at 8:12 PM, henny83 said:

This would, in my opinion negate anything you have learned or gotten used to in ksp console version...

Gotten used to? It just came out last week and isn't even out yet for half the world! I think the oddball control scheme and total lack of control options are a major drawback too and is why I'm holding off buying it, but I'm just trying to give people some options instead of none.

Input is one of the most important aspects of a game and not being able to comfortably control it ruins the experience. Lacking the ability to even invert the look is just downright sloppy, especially given that they had plenty of time to waste on the hilariously pointless six-axis accelerometer gimmick. I just hope someone up the ladder realises that the complaints about the controls are not like the usual unwarranted noise and fix it before the reputation on consoles sticks.

All they had to do was leave the existing bindings editor alone and adapt it to the console APIs, BOOM everyone is happy! Doing that might not be a cakewalk but it certainly isn't... rocket science :D (that gag will never get old).

Edited by Liquid

I get that they needed to add it in game but changing the scheme on there would include other games as well, I mean I guess if this is all you play then go for it, I'm tempted to try it out for l2/r2 and see how it goes, but I have to be careful because of shooters (just want to change those because it seems I'm the only one with that r2 problem in eva...seriously wondering what it is)

Ok so interesting, played destiny, played battleborn, r2 worked, came here didn't work, switched up the controls ( used up down d pad)  took a sec I menu but good.  I was so happy.  But realise it was but a moment, I can't keep it like this.  Thanks, it was a solution, but not permanent.

The problem with maping buttons for the X1 is that they stay in that configeration for every game not soley for one. Although it can be used on a normal pad i believe its originaly for the elite stick which can be programed with multipull configerations.

10 hours ago, henny83 said:

I get that they needed to add it in game but changing the scheme on there would include other games as well, I mean I guess if this is all you play then go for it, I'm tempted to try it out for l2/r2 and see how it goes, but I have to be careful because of shooters (just want to change those because it seems I'm the only one with that r2 problem in eva...seriously wondering what it is)

Why would it have to include other games, you know you can quickly toggle the custom mapping on/off in the quick menu, right? See the picture below if not.

About the "R2 issue", I'm not sure what it is as I don't have the console version yet, but I'd bet it's to do with deadzones and input-handling. I've had occasional trigger input problems on the odd PS4 game, it seems to be related to the deadzones being a bit too small for the slight variations in build quality of the controllers. Taking the controller apart and re-seating the triggers worked for me, but your mileage may vary and setting the deadzone or allowing it to be user-configurable is ultimately up to the developer.

voGaMJk.png

Edited by Liquid

On 21/07/2016 at 9:35 AM, stubedoo54 said:

The problem with maping buttons for the X1 is that they stay in that configeration for every game not soley for one. Although it can be used on a normal pad i believe its originaly for the elite stick which can be programed with multipull configerations.

I don't own an XB1 so I can't comment on what options it has or hasn't, I just made the post so players have some options rather than none.

While the restrictions on the remapping apps might be annoying, it's ultimately up the game developer to give players decent control layouts and options. Both MS and Sony have rich APIs to allow that and nobody stopped Flying Tiger from using them, so maybe ask them why they didn't.

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, even having an Elite controller can't solve my biggest control complaint: roll while flying aircraft. There's no way to bind the triggers to a stick axis. This has proven to be very frustrating, as building aircraft is one of my favorite activities in KSP, but flying them on my Xbox One is just annoying. 

On the plus side, while I bought the Elite on hopes of it fixing my KSP control issues, I've fallen in love with the controller for Elite: Dangerous and Lichdom: Battlemage, among many others. Definitely a good investment, even if it failed to fix the problem I bought it for! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.