Devnote Tuesday: We couldn't think of a title this week

SQUAD

7 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Nothing other than saving having to write the same logic to handle adding to and removing from the lists and handling when the key isn't there. If I never have to write another trygetvalue() -> list.add/remove or new list / add / add(key, list) block, it'll be great.

Having modders signed on as core devs must be absolute gold for such a mod friendly game as KSP.

Both for understanding and adding stuff to the core game that makes life (and performance) better for mods and modders, but also from a game design view. Getting a perspective on what stuff should be in the core game and what stuff are WIBNIFs and better added via mods.

11 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Crossing yet another ocean we find Brian (Arsonide) working on the wheels. The version of Vehicle Physics Pro we were using was out of date, and was designed around Unity as it was many versions ago, back in May of last year. Upgrading that will help make wheels much more stable than they have been. This week we managed to get the new version of VPP compiled and in-game in Unity 5.4, and Brian also took the opportunity to rip out most of the workarounds we had in place for wheel issues present in earlier versions of Unity. Basically that means that wheel “blocking” no longer exists, among other things, which should bring joy to many players no doubt. There is still a good deal of work to be done with the upgrade, but things are looking good with wheels.

Good to see you guys working on this important issue, thank you. The removal of wheel blocking is a very good thing and I am aware there are many issues still with the wheels/legs. a few serious one's I have not seen mentioned and have asked about a few time are the fact that wheels collide with the parent craft at the moment which causes them to break when docking rovers to other craft and also to break when inside another craft. Wheels and legs are because of this the only part that collides with the parent craft.

The other is the tiny but rapid vibration of the legs. It is mostly noticeable on heavy landers and the number of legs does not help. The vibration is so severe that it can and has caused craft to break from it and kerbals standing on the craft or anything for that matter will slide across the craft due to the vibration. I need to update my bug report on this which I will try to do tonight.

4 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Good to see you guys working on this important issue, thank you. The removal of wheel blocking is a very good thing and I am aware there are many issues still with the wheels/legs. a few serious one's I have not seen mentioned and have asked about a few time are the fact that wheels collide with the parent craft at the moment which causes them to break when docking rovers to other craft and also to break when inside another craft. Wheels and legs are because of this the only part that collides with the parent craft.

The other is the tiny but rapid vibration of the legs. It is mostly noticeable on heavy landers and the number of legs does not help. The vibration is so severe that it can and has caused craft to break from it and kerbals standing on the craft or anything for that matter will slide across the craft due to the vibration. I need to update my bug report on this which I will try to do tonight.

Part of removing wheel blocking was ensuring that wheels properly ignore same vessel parts, they behave like any other part now in that regard. The sliding you are witnessing and the vibration are two separate unrelated issues, but we are aware of them, and are looking into them.

Just now, Arsonide said:

Part of removing wheel blocking was ensuring that wheels properly ignore same vessel parts, they behave like any other part now in that regard. The sliding you are witnessing and the vibration are two separate unrelated issues, but we are aware of them, and are looking into them.

Glorious! Thank you for the reply Arsonide.

1 minute ago, Arsonide said:

Will this include the issue of exploding lander legs as Kerbals land on them? Last night, while doing an EVA on Minimus, Bob literally fell out of the craft, hit a landing leg on the way down, and BOOM! No more landing leg...

13 hours ago, SQUAD said:

[...] which is giving us a boost as we’re working on the European PS4 release. No release date yet, but solid progress is being made every day. [...]

Yes, by now I should definitely know about Squad only dealing with soon™ when it involves release dates. 

But I just have to ask. 

Is there some approximately time frame in which we could expect this. This Tuesday was hell because I didn't knew if I should have a firm look at the PSN Store. I should have, though. Nothing was here. I can't stand this procedure any longer ... please Squad ... just some breadcrumbs ... pretty please?  :) 

Edited by lCristol

51 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Will this include the issue of exploding lander legs as Kerbals land on them? Last night, while doing an EVA on Minimus, Bob literally fell out of the craft, hit a landing leg on the way down, and BOOM! No more landing leg...

Doh I never had a leg exploded in 1.1.3 yet, I thought the problem was long gone with moving kerbals in EVA in another layer 

12 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, regarding the above quote, will this mean that it will now be possible once again. as with the pre 1.1 wheel modules. for mod makers  to combine multiple wheels on one game object? 

As i understand it now , it should be possible as I am able to nominate in the cfg the  baseModuleIndex = !!! of each slave module        At present it fails to function as expected, despite many attempts,  either 1 wheel ( of two when sharing an axle) is either permanently blocked, even if there is no collider interaction, or totally ignored by the game, without once producing an error directly related to the part or wheel modules.

Cheers

On the same line as this question:

WIll the upgraded Unity version allow for arbitrary oriented wheel-colliders?  E.g with the suspension vector not aligned to the rigidbody.up vector?

These are needed for making things such as integrated landers (where the suspension vector is not the same as the rigidbody.up vector, e.g. legs extending angled from the body).  This is the second limitation that @lo-fi and myself are trying to solve for KerbalFoundries, and a complete deal-breaker for many parts with integrated wheels or landing legs.

Forgive me but i havent seen what exactly will 1.2 update address? is it another code and optimization update? Any new features or *cough* ability to change/replace kerbal meshes? :hides:

Weekly Devnotes are generally "what they did this week."  Squad has always been reluctant to put out a list of planned features in advance, preferring to unveil them when they are mostly finished and working.  Problems found along the way could cause a "planned" feature to be dropped, and create sad pandas.

23 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Forgive me but i havent seen what exactly will 1.2 update address?

A combination of things.

is it another code and optimization update?

Yes.

Any new features?

Yes, the long awaited telemetry system.

ability to change/replace kerbal meshes?

Kerbal Meshes?  Not sure what you mean by that.

Edited by Alshain

9 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Kerbal Meshes?  Not sure what you mean by that.

the ability for us modders to replace kerbal meshes/models/character rigging with say modern astronaut meshes/models/character rigging for those of us who play RSS with modern day craft and missions 

Edited by Redneck
clarification

20 minutes ago, Redneck said:

the ability for us modders to replace kerbal meshes/models/character rigging with say modern astronaut meshes/models/character rigging for those of us who play RSS with modern day craft and missions 

Ah I see.  I wouldn't count on that being considered high priority.

I'm glad to hear the wheels are being worked on :). They work well against terrain but anything involving a wheel touching another craft currently ends in explosions. - my most recent stream has some examples :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

6 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Ah I see.  I wouldn't count on that being considered high priority.

I just figured everything else in the game is modifiable might as well open the kerbals up as well

17 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Nathanael also took a good look at the PartResource definitions, which he rewrote into a dictionary. Each PartResource is no longer a monobehaviour, considerably reducing overhead.

I endorse this service/product.

17 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Jim (Romfarer) has started investigating ways to refactor the code that handles fuel flow. Rewriting hasn’t started yet because there is a large amount of components affected by this code and it is uncertain which solution we will put into the game. Overall the goal is to speed up the fuel flow calculations in the backend and create a framework where it is possible to draw visuals showing where the fuel flows.

Now that sounds really cool.  Sounds like I'll be holding off my next install until 1.2 shows up.

38 minutes ago, bengee777 said:

While you say that you couldn't think of a title, the fact that that is the title determined that that was a lie.

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

(95% of follow-up posts contain questions/comments about 1.2 update...5% contain comments about the non-title title :sticktongue:)

Edited by Raptor9

10 hours ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

Isn't it annoying how you've done such good progress, and then when you update KSP, you have to start over again? If there is a way of sending our old craft to your new KSP, please tell me!

Pretty sure crafts are fine, as long as physics doesn't change. Really old craft from the pre-SPP era might suffer from aesthetics, but other than that, the crafts should always load in. Due to recent tweaking of the aerodynamics and the change of meaning of specific impulse, you'll probably have to tweak your aircraft, but pretty much everything else should be fine.

I have to admit this, after posting last night about hoping no one complains till after 1.2 is out.... I got to thinking... and this isn't really a complaint, but...

I thought it was me, I thought my space planes were sub standard, in that not since the last update, have I had one of my planes not slide off the runway...

So, yes, I too hope the wheels are fixed!

And .... I know it won't happen, but way back in .90 someone released tracks for rovers... they could take a licking and keep on ticking. The best rover I ever built had these tracks, and I'd like to see them added to stock, or at least, a modder coming up with a 1.2 version of them. That is a wish... nothing more and nothing less.

But .... I'd wheely wheely love to see the wheels fixed... we wheely need them working... wheel, I think so anyhow... but wheel wait and see.

At least, I'm not going to blame my design skills anymore... nor am I going to blame Squad... but it is a bug... so...... here is hoping they are fixed.

(walks away singing...)

"The wheels on the rover go round and round..... round and round..... the wheels on the rover go round.........."

Edited by kiwi1960

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.