(Xbox) Game Breaking Crash/Loss of Save File

This is NOT listed as a bug as of yet. 

I absolutely love this game and this bug breaks my heart because of the fact that I absolutely can't play until it's fixed. This is what happens: I spend literally 8 hours straight (I have no life) building, launching and I eventually manage to get 3 Mobile Prossesing Labs producing copious amounts of data (One in Kerbin orbit, One in Muner orbit and one on the surface of Minmus). On my return to the space center the game crashes. I then open KSP again and load the game and it loads the game with around a 8 hour rollback. I've lost all of my vessels, not just the ones already launched but the some of the save files of the actual vessels. I find that I don't even have the parts I used to build them unlocked yet. Obviously I was quite upset, so guess what? I persevered and DID IT ALL again, only this time, I managed to also land a probe on Eve. I go back to the space center and CRASH! I'm thinking "I'm all good, there's no way I just completely wasted all of that time again." I load the game up and was right back where I was before, with a half built ship and without some of the parts unlocked. 

My friend just reported he had the same issue. (Also on Xbox and we both have been playing on Science Mode.)

Edited by Homedawgian
Added a few things

I feel your pain guys. nothing worse than losing your hard work to a game bug.

I truly hope Squad/Flying Tiger make a public apology for this BS. I advise not playing until they fix it. If they do not within a few weeks apply for a refund because this is unacceptable.

I would advise asking for a refund now and then re-buying the game if/when they fix it. Its easier to ask for a refund shortly after your purchase than weeks after the fact, and there's nothing stopping you from re-buying the game later, rather than hoping for the best and having them not address the problem effectively.

To be completely honest, I am way too much in love with this game to ever even entertain the idea of asking for a refund. I've been following the KSP forums for years now, watching and learning it on Twitch and patiently waiting almost a year for the console release after the announcement. If anything, I would consider the $40 I spent on this game a donation to the development of this absolutely astounding piece of virtual bliss. I have full faith in Squad/Flying Tiger to being able to fix these major game breaking issues sooner, rather than later. Also, considering that this is now considered a complete game on Xbox One, not a preview, I'm sure we can expect to see a fix in just a few weeks at the absolute latest (Microsoft doesn't take too kindly to selling "broken" titles). I personally, am way too invested in this game to just write it off. I'm looking forward to seeing what Squad/Flying Tiger say about these issues soon.

Edited by Homedawgian
Typo

Don't know if you tried it, but go ahead, delete the save, turn off the machine...off not rest, turn on, restart game...again...play for max 2 hours, saving through out, auto save counts, hop out of game, chill for a min...yell at screen, hop back in.

If you stream, well good luck, I had it freeze in the middle of something, think I had finally gotten my plane to fly...either way we laughed at the timing.

And you could put it in the bug tracker, they're going to need to know.

Edited by henny83

41 minutes ago, henny83 said:

Don't know if you tried it, but go ahead, delete the save, turn off the machine...off not rest, turn on, restart game...again...play for max 2 hours, saving through out, auto save counts, hop out of game, chill for a min...yell at screen, hop back in.

If you stream, well good luck, I had it freeze in the middle of something, think I had finally gotten my plane to fly...either way we laughed at the timing.

And you could put it in the bug tracker, they're going to need to know.

I've looked all over the bug tracker, couldn't find a submission form or anything.

33 minutes ago, x0shadowless0x said:

I am having this same issue, and as ian said i love it way too much to give up on it, but this game breaking bug is really killing it for me, nothing worse than wanting to play a game you love but knowing everything you do on it will all disappear...

Preach it!! Still though, I'd rather redo the missions I've done already, over and over again instead of not having KSP at all.

Edited by Homedawgian
Typo

Yeah, i love the original PC version more, and will have too play it instead, just would be so fun playing "With" m8s on Xbox, sharing Screens & Clips and all that....  

And the very first thing i was thinking when i heard about this game comming too Xbox about 3-4 months ago, was, I NEED IT!

And if anyone was too deserve my cash for a game purchase, it would be Squad. But, that was until i heard about these Flying guys. Now i just want my refund. I feel screwed over! As this wasnt an Early Release.....   & had a stiff Pricetag for a release like this.

Now, i dont care for waiting 2-3 weeks for a game too be released, I'd gladly take the "intrest" from those 399,- NOK myself until its a working title,

& Play the PC Version in the meantime.

Something I have noticed about this bug is you can't save progress unless you Uninstall and reinstall until it breaks again. Also my save became corrupted after the birds stopped churping not entirely sure if this has anything to do with it. Maybe some type of memory leak?

Update reinstalling only seems to allow me to save again but I seemed to have lost ship designs and progress in previous  saves. 

Edited by blackicmenace
Update

I have had the same issue too, I mostly play in sandbox mode. Its very upsetting and annoying for the game to do this, but I appreciate that its only just come out. Its very annoying as I said, that I was happily playing the game. Saving the game and coming back the next day to carry on but for some reseaon it doesn't save. I find that very odd for it to save one minute then for it to reset back to the second to last save you made. I do hope they fix this in a few days or a week. I'm just bored now as I know if I play it and turn off my Xbox and come back, my save won't be there :( please fix squad/flying tiger!

34 minutes ago, OlegTheMeerkat said:

I have had the same issue too, I mostly play in sandbox mode. Its very upsetting and annoying for the game to do this, but I appreciate that its only just come out. Its very annoying as I said, that I was happily playing the game. Saving the game and coming back the next day to carry on but for some reseaon it doesn't save. I find that very odd for it to save one minute then for it to reset back to the second to last save you made. I do hope they fix this in a few days or a week. I'm just bored now as I know if I play it and turn off my Xbox and come back, my save won't be there :( please fix squad/flying tiger!

Try deleting most of your built ship save files, especially the ones with a high part count. I did this and it's seemed to have resolved this issue. It sucks, but at least you can continue playing. I've basically saved 2 major launch vehicles without payloads so I can just put whatever I want on top before launching. I'm assuming you have 10+ ship saves.

And if it makes anyone feel better, I've personally contacted Flying Tiger and they were pretty quick to respond. They are aware of the issue and they're actively working on it.

32 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

Try deleting most of your built ship save files, especially the ones with a high part count. I did this and it's seemed to have resolved this issue. It sucks, but at least you can continue playing. I've basically saved 2 major launch vehicles without payloads so I can just put whatever I want on top before launching. I'm assuming you have 10+ ship saves.

And if it makes anyone feel better, I've personally contacted Flying Tiger and they were pretty quick to respond. They are aware of the issue and they're actively working on it.

Thanks for the tip! :D would it help if I delete the stock built ships? The ship that are already in the game for anyone to use?

Edited by OlegTheMeerkat

I found a temporary Fix. Just free up some Space, by Deleting "unused" Craft-recepies, from ex. Build menu, Press Load Craft, Then just Delete some Old stuff, also seems that "XL" Ships With more parts takes up alot more of the memory, and that is uses the same memorybank as savegames.

And Ohh Yeah, Cant delete The Stock Ships, But i think you can remove them from Settings from KSC, And then press Cusomise or something like that,

10 minutes ago, DaCana said:

I found a temporary Fix. Just free up some Space, by Deleting "unused" Craft-recepies, from ex. Build menu, Press Load Craft, Then just Delete some Old stuff, also seems that "XL" Ships With more parts takes up alot more of the memory, and that is uses the same memorybank as savegames.

And Ohh Yeah, Cant delete The Stock Ships, But i think you can remove them from Settings from KSC, And then press Cusomise or something like that,

Thank you so much! You have made my day! I can once again be anti social and not go out side! Joking of course

• 1 month later...

Yeah this is heartbreaking - the first time it happened I thought I'd just forgotten to save (and lost the autosave when it crashed), just come back to it this morning after redoing my mission last night and saving (and checking the saves were present and correct in the load save section- yup!) aaaaand it's back to Year One, Day 59 - 3h, 58m (all the saves are this time and date- isn't that odd? Even the quicksave 7 which I made before I quit last night- it's like it reverted back despite it showing correctly before I switched off).

The game is epic, I feel for you all having this issue too!! I'll try some of these temporary fixes but really it's not good enough, this needs to be fixed properly. I don't want to play feeling that I could well just lose everything I've done... I am meant to be studying :-P 

5 hours ago, tomahawk90 said:

Yeah this is heartbreaking - the first time it happened I thought I'd just forgotten to save (and lost the autosave when it crashed), just come back to it this morning after redoing my mission last night and saving (and checking the saves were present and correct in the load save section- yup!) aaaaand it's back to Year One, Day 59 - 3h, 58m (all the saves are this time and date- isn't that odd? Even the quicksave 7 which I made before I quit last night- it's like it reverted back despite it showing correctly before I switched off).

The game is epic, I feel for you all having this issue too!! I'll try some of these temporary fixes but really it's not good enough, this needs to be fixed properly. I don't want to play feeling that I could well just lose everything I've done... I am meant to be studying :-P 

But you are studying! There's no better way to study orbital mechanics and engineering than to keep doing the same thing over and over again lol. I've already put at least 200 hours into this game and about 120 of those hours spent redoing something because of that silly save file bug. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding it at this point. Just keep your ship saved files and active missions to an absolute minimum and I'd wait for the patch before building any stations. As for the in game time, the clock only seems to change for me in Career Mode.

No fix yet over a month after release. Still coming "soon." That is so ridiculous. Squad and Flying Tiger need to be more transparent and honest with their console customers that they sold a broken product to. We deserve some type of response that helps us understand what is actually happening to fix it. 

This is a huge issue. The game has a lot of problems. It's not just the corrupted save. How long is it going to take them to fix those? I thought I was buying a finished game. They should either issue refunds and release into the preview program or be forthcoming about the game being unfinished and buggy. Is this the standard now?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.