At this very moment, 47 years ago..

SQUAD

“Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed!”

At this exact time, 47 years ago, Apollo 11 touched down on the surface of the Moon and claimed Earth’s natural satellite for all mankind. Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins formed the crew of this historic flight, which was recreated with incredible eye for detail by Bob Fitch earlier this year.

2 minutes ago, Dr.K Kerbal said:

It's pretty how they went to the Moon 47 years ago, and now, when we have amazing techology, were only sending man to low Earth Orbit!!! 

NASA at the time had a VERY significant portion of the national budget, and they took a lot of risks. Everyone know that it was unsustainable. It's a miracle that we didn't lose more personnel. 

Not got time to watch that atm sadly.  Now, if my boss has a meeting tomorrow. ....   hmm mm. 

Brings back memories,  I was glued to the telly for all the space stuff at that time -  Patrick Moore, James Burke, Carl Sagan.  The Apollo missions really grabbed me.

5 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Do yourself a favor and make a bit of time. Trust me, it's worth it.

I will.  Thanks.  Just have to wait til tomorrow though.

Edited by pandaman

45 minutes ago, worir4 said:

...And because of this , thousands of rockets in KSP have now been named 'Kerpollo' or something similar. (Don't deny it, I know every one did this when you started :wink:)

I never called mine Kerpollo. I called it Munpollo, it sounded less cheesy at the time.

1 hour ago, worir4 said:

...And because of this , thousands of rockets in KSP have now been named 'Kerpollo' or something similar. (Don't deny it, I know every one did this when you started :wink:)

Well, I have and always name my rockets after their missions. My first Mun rocket was "Mun Rocket 11". Why 11? Because it was my eleventh try to go to the Mun.

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

NASA at the time had a VERY significant portion of the national budget, and they took a lot of risks. Everyone know that it was unsustainable. It's a miracle that we didn't lose more personnel. 

Well, yes NASA had a bigger slice of the national budget, but the national budget was a lot smaller in the '60s than today so NASA still gets around the same amount of money. And the in Apollo program, I Believe only three austonouts died (Apllo 1 fire), conpared to the fourteen people who died in the shuttle program building the ISS.

Talk about risks the Shuttles had the largest crews ever and no escape system! All this for low orbit. Sigh.... I suppose I got of topic but I just hate the shuttle program.

So any way my point is wile yes I agree that the Apllo missions where not "sustainable" I feel that way because it was desiged to prove Amarica was better than Russia, flags and foot prints, not much more. There really wasn't that much the astronauts could do on the moon once they got there. I feel that after the third or so mision NASA should have focused on bringing better equipment to the moon, or better humans to Mars instead of low earth orbit. I just think we're going backwards. :/

Edited by Planetfall
Grammar

18 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

I have a lot of respect for all three men that were on that mission!

i have a lot of respect for the threehundredthousand (don't know where i heard the number :\ ) who where involved making this mission possible.

I have so much respect for the whole team. I just got back from Cape Kennedy where I learned that Mercury/Gemini astronauts were going up on converted ICBMs that didn't actually have a very safe track record.

11 minutes ago, tjt said:

I have so much respect for the whole team. I just got back from Cape Kennedy where I learned that Mercury/Gemini astronauts were going up on converted ICBMs that didn't actually have a very safe track record.

^^This! ^_^ (Forum seems to think I'm out of likes even though I haven't liked any posts today...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.