CPU overheating in editor

Hello, I've remarked some... overheating of my CPU while in the SPH or VAB since the 1.1.3 update.
The thing heats up to 95°C very quickly, even with the fan at max speed and without using the cpu boost (while it generally peaks at 70 when playing Fallout 4 or GTA 5, with cpu boost).
Then it generally gradually 'cools' down to 70°C in Flight mode, but now I'm almost scared of being in the editor xD

Seriously though, I don't think that's very normal. I keep my laptop clean both in and out and don't block the air flow while playing. I reinstalled the game to see if it wasn't a mod or something, but nothing changed.

Does anyone else has this problem ?

System Specs: Windows 8.1, 12GB RAM, Intel i5-4210H, NVidia Geforce 940M.

Edited by ValCab33

Laptops tend to get hot.  If you are sure there is no dirt or anything else blocking the vents then you may be stuck.  A couple of things you can try though.  Place a desk fan to where it blows room air onto the lap top, you'd be surprised at how much this can help (sometimes).   Go into Power Options and create a custom plan and in the advanced options try setting the Maximum processor state down a little from 100%, try 90% on some systems this can help a lot with heat without adversely effecting the system too much speed wise (a 10% reduction in top speed is often not even noticeable); and make sure the system cooling policy is active.  There are various add on devices designed to help cool lap tops but I've never tried them. 

Edit: Or just skip the SPH/VAB and download other people's designs  or create craft files with a text editor :) .  Seriously though that does seem an odd place for things to heat up.  Have you tried running CAD software on your computer?

Ok just playing with this on my PC.  In just the headquarter view I'm running a steady 54 cpu temp.  Going into the VAB it briefly jumped to 60 than quickly dropped to 55 to 56.  Loading a craft file well cause it to spike to 60 again but quickly drop back to 55/56.  Adding parts moving the view around etc. don't seem to change anything.

Edited by kBob

@ValCab33 There is an option in game settings under the general "Show Space Center Crew",this option will disable all animations in VAB/SPH anad will reduce load on your CPU.
Also make sure you have set Nvidia graphic as your primary and only graphic options so that you don't use intels HD 4600 on the CPU,this will significantly reduce load when playing games.

On 21/07/2016 at 0:46 AM, ValCab33 said:

laptop

Yeah...a lot of laptops don't have the cooling to handle heavy continuous loads. And KSP does max out the CPU in the editor for some reason. I suspect, but have not proven, that the game's framerate cap is not being respected there, combined with the little animated space centre people using up way too much CPU.

Fallout 4 and GTA 5, and most 'AAA' games, by contrast are typically GPU limited and the CPU actually has less to do.

Edited by cantab

On 21/07/2016 at 6:17 AM, kBob said:

Go into Power Options and create a custom plan and in the advanced options try setting the Maximum processor state down a little from 100%, try 90% on some systems this can help a lot with heat without adversely effecting the system too much speed wise (a 10% reduction in top speed is often not even noticeable); and make sure the system cooling policy is active.

Okay, tried this, and the in-editor temperature doesn't go above 75°C, and I didn't really notice any performance loss.

6 hours ago, sebi.zzr said:

@ValCab33 There is an option in game settings under the general "Show Space Center Crew",this option will disable all animations in VAB/SPH anad will reduce load on your CPU.

Tried it without kBob's solution, max temp reached 85°C. It's a good progress, and with both solution, it didn't go above 70.

6 hours ago, sebi.zzr said:

Also make sure you have set Nvidia graphic as your primary and only graphic options

It is, I already double-checked that :P

Thanks for the help you three, the problem is fixed until I get a more powerful desktop with a proper cooling system :P

On 2016-07-22 at 6:59 PM, ValCab33 said:

Thanks for the help you three, the problem is fixed until I get a more powerful desktop with a proper cooling system :P

KSP (and other games) does tend to create CPU or GPU load in the most unlikely situations (my GPU fans go hysteric in the basic KSC view, and calm down once inside VAB ... )

One thing to keep in mind that all computers, including laptops (believe it or not), are actually designed to tolerate maximum CPU and GPU load for several hours without overheating.

But there's a catch that has killed several computers (and GPUs) and that's dust (or worse hair, human or from pets).

I've stopped counting how many computers I've saved from being scrapped (or given to me since they are 'broken') that I've brought back to full functionality by just cleaning out the air ducts, fans and heat sinks.

Laptops especially suck in huge amounts of surrounding air and sends it through tight ducts and over quite compact heat sinks.

It doesn't take much in the form of obstruction in the path for a laptop to overheat.

So while finding ways to limit the load (I use the KerboKatz Small Utilities FPS Limiter to keep my GPU from hysteria) don't forget that overheating (unless you've modded or overclocked) is a sign that it's time to clean the computer.

Another thing that can have effect on how well a graphics card cool and run, is the video driver.  ( but you properbly have a new driver, just saying remember to check ).  ;-)

- A friend of mine where using an old graphics driver that windows automatic download, and his computer ran poor and could not run any games.. but after getting the correc driver it run perfect ;-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.