Building A 1.1 Interstellar Quest

Hello, my fellow rocket scientists,

I've been watching Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest recently, and I wanted to play one too, updated for 1.1.  So, I want you guys' help in putting together a modlist for my very own Interstellar Quest.

The list so far is:

• KSP Interstellar Extended (duh)
  • Community Tech Tree + Hide Empty Nodes addon
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • USI Kolonisation
  • USI Life Support
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • SCANsat
  • Near Future Technologies (Electrical + Propulsion, not sure about the others)
  • DMagic Orbital SCience
  • Mk2 Stockalike Expansion + KSPI Integration addon
  • Mk3 Stockalike Expansion
  • Better Burn Time
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator

I would recommend Kerbalism. It certainly takes the game to a new level when realism is concerned, adding many different mechanics like radiation, solar storms and part malfunctions to bring a career closer to the difficulties of space travel in real life. If you don't mind the extra level of difficulty, I certainly would say "go for it." There is also a config file that allows support with USI greenhouses in USI Life Support too so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

DeepFreeze is a mod that is compatible with Kerbalism. It takes away concerns of keeping Kerbals alive for long journeys by freezing them. When you arrive at your destination, simply thaw them out. 

Although, I do have to say, the Stock system isn't exactly what you would call big. If you truly want a survival challenge or to utilise DeepFreeze to its maximum potential there are mods out there like 10x Kerbol System to increase the time it will take to reach a destination. Or, if you want to use the Alcubierre Drive to full effect, you can even install mods that add other star systems. There are a few out there. Can't think of one off the top of my head since I play with RO and RSS, not Stock, but they are pretty grand . . . literally—they will eat up a lot of memory space. My laptop couldn't handle expansion packs like that. Though I must say, I am due for a new device to cope with memory and FPS. :P

There are a lot of mods that may be of interest to you. Have a look around on the forums or SpaceDock and you can probably find a few more that appeal to you. I have over 170 mods installed but some of their purposes might not exactly suit what you are trying to achieve. It's better to discover for yourself. :wink:

Edited by SyzygyΣE

I'd add Landing Height, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, and Portrait Stats for certain.  If you're a rocket person instead of a spaceplane person, I'd recommend most of Necrobones' stuff - SpaceY, SpaceY Expanded, Fuel Tanks Plus, and Color Coded Canisters.  These mods allow larger and/or better looking rockets with lower part counts than stock.

Edited by Norcalplanner
thought of one more

12 hours ago, SpaceCommunism said:

remote tech can be cool, but it does add a lot of work to the game.

And it is in no way career-friendly.  And it makes probes totally 1940s, which kinda goes against the grain of things being in the future here.  Maybe use AntennaRange instead, or just wait for 1.2 with the stock version.

7 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

And it is in no way career-friendly.  And it makes probes totally 1940s, which kinda goes against the grain of things being in the future here.  Maybe use AntennaRange instead, or just wait for 1.2 with the stock version.

I dono I have been using it, though I am using other career packs and it is pretty easy to throw the com sats into the payloads of other stuff. Honestly the worst thing about it is just how boring it might be to put your satellites in place over different bodies. I mean if your making a video it can get how this could be redundant, but honestly with the FF function it isn't the hardest problem to manage.

I would recommend heat control to help you use your near future electrical reactors, and the outer planets mod, as well as the following utility mods:

• science full reward (no need to conduct the exact same experiment multiple times)
  • transfer window planner (help you get places)
  • mechjeb
  • fuel switch (could be useful)
Edited by FL-T400

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.