Setting up a kerbalkon

ZooNamedGames

This is a question not so much about the forums as it is KSP in general...

It seems that there hasn't been a KerbalKon in ages mostly because those hosting them are struggling to get attendance and also paying for the facility.

So the question is, can anyone host a KerbalKon? If so, I have some ideas I'd like to try.

25 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

This is a question not so much about the forums as it is KSP in general...

It seems that there hasn't been a KerbalKon in ages mostly because those hosting them are struggling to get attendance and also paying for the facility.

So the question is, can anyone host a KerbalKon? If so, I have some ideas I'd like to try.

I can't host one.... I can barely host a dinner party... lol. 

But if you or someone can do it in the south-east US, I'll find a way to attend.  :D

Edited by Just Jim

12 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I can't host one.... I can barely host a dinner party... lol. 

But if you or someone can do it in the south-east US, I'll find a way to attend.  :D

Awesome :D ! I knew a few locations we can use as well.

I was just curious if I had to get some go ahead from Squad or something.

Firstly I have split this into its own thread so we don't spam the old one with a ton of off topic-ness. 

Secondly 

11 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I was just curious if I had to get some go ahead from Squad or something.

I'm going to go ahead and ping @KasperVld on this one.

But if I remember the last time it came up correctly it should be fine if you are not profiting. 

Thirdly I did have a few ideas, but let me sleep first.

Well I wasn't expecting this to be made into a single thread yet, but ok. This thread is for initial announcements and getting things cleared and started since right now the biggest thing I'm waiting on is @KasperVld to give me the all clear, after that then I can begin planning and so on.

9 hours ago, AlmostNASA said:

@ZooNamedGames me over here might need a little something in Phoenix AZ because well... Nothing Happens here but you have a Titan II ICBM not too far away... Well in Tuscon, AZ the missile is there.

Well, I'll see what I can do. It's down to money of who's coming and the facility we will use. 

It also comes down to it @KasperVld will let me.

13 hours ago, AlmostNASA said:

you do make a good point but not too many people can fly out wherever they want. also i'm less than 20 years old.

Well I'll try to do my best, but the first is the smallest. Maybe I can develop hype through this one? I'm thinking about planning for 2017 and with every successful convention move to some other region of America. So if it works, in time I'll get to you :/ .

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

So if it works, in time I'll get to you

Great! But if SQUAD people come, well they get a break. also we would need certain locations in these states, cities, ETC.. in Arizona i'm pretty Close to Arizona State University (ASU also it is pretty big) 

8 hours ago, AlmostNASA said:

Great! But if SQUAD people come, well they get a break. also we would need certain locations in these states, cities, ETC.. in Arizona i'm pretty Close to Arizona State University (ASU also it is pretty big) 

I'll to work with them as I can. 

2017 - well, that is going to be pretty hard to get all the pieces to fall together. I would shoot for at least 18 months, and maybe invite some people from the ESA, NASA, as well as the Russian Space Agency. Each of those agencies have a publicity/public affairs department for just such a thing. Back when I was working for the Boy Scouts, we once had an astronaut attend and MC our district's space derby.

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

2017 - well, that is going to be pretty hard to get all the pieces to fall together. I would shoot for at least 18 months, and maybe invite some people from the ESA, NASA, as well as the Russian Space Agency. Each of those agencies have a publicity/public affairs department for just such a thing. Back when I was working for the Boy Scouts, we once had an astronaut attend and MC our district's space derby.

Well we'll see what happens. I have the benefit of being nearby the KSC which is the hub for NASA activities. I could even plan for it to occur when there's a launch! 

Just note it's far too early in development to be making any real expectations.  

37 minutes ago, Camacha said:Why does it seem the US is the default location? Why not Mexico? Or Europe? Or Russia? Or Papua New Guinea? Or Japan?

It's the default location as it's the basis of most of the gaming populous- not to mention, unless you like paying x50 more for it being intentions since I don't have access without outside funding.

Also, Kasper seems to have given me the go ahead via Twitter. So now I'll start researching.

One question though; @Red Iron Crown, would linking a GoFundMe or other indie funding campaign violate 2.2i? It's not for profit; it's for gaining access to facilities I solely on my own cannot afford.

If you want to organise something yourselves I won't stop you, but as far as Squad is concerned we must likely don't have the time to organise anything around it, and cannot accept any liability by promoting it etcetera. As a  result I don't think we can have people link to a GoFundMe or something similar either.

19 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

If you want to organise something yourselves I won't stop you, but as far as Squad is concerned we must likely don't have the time to organise anything around it, and cannot accept any liability by promoting it etcetera. As a  result I don't think we can have people link to a GoFundMe or something similar either.

Well if external funding even for noprofit is not permitted then that's a nail in the coffin. There's simply no way I can run one without funding. I have many ideas how to run it and many resources I can access but money is the main issue.

So sadly, there will likely not be a KerbalKon for a long time. Not until Squad is able to sponsor one.

17 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

@Red Iron CrownIt's the default location as it's the basis of most of the gaming populous

Says who? It seems to be the assumption of the part of the gaming community that comes from the US that everyone is in those same US, but these forums are frequented by large groups of various nationalities.

12 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well if external funding even for noprofit is not permitted then that's a nail in the coffin. There's simply no way I can run one without funding. I have many ideas how to run it and many resources I can access but money is the main issue.

Even though official endorsements would be out of the question, Squad can only prohibit the use of (parts of) the Kerbal IP. If you want to organise an unofficial event, there is little anyone can do about it. Of course, they can prohibit discussions about it on the forums.

Edited by Camacha

2 hours ago, Camacha said:

Says who? It seems to be the assumption of the part of the gaming community that comes from the US that everyone is in those same US, but these forums are frequented by large groups of various nationalities.

Even though official endorsements would be out of the question, Squad can only prohibit the use of (parts of) the Kerbal IP. If you want to organise an unofficial event, there is little anyone can do about it. Of course, they can prohibit discussions about it on the forums.

Again- unless you want an entry ticket to the event to cost $500 dollars or more, it's US based, because I can't host internationally.

I can't do anything without funding. There's nothing to organize since I can't rent any location to base in.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

You could organize something locally and do it in a VFW hall or something like that; they cost little to rent and the cost can be covered by a modest entry fee. It wouldn't really be a "kerbalkon," more a local meetup but that could be a start for bigger things.

On July 27, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Kerbart said:

You could organize something locally and do it in a VFW hall or something like that; they cost little to rent and the cost can be covered by a modest entry fee. It wouldn't really be a "kerbalkon," more a local meetup but that could be a start for bigger things.

Issue is, although I'm in Florida; I know no one who's serious about KSP. I've found more lunar conspiracists than people who believe we did go to the moon.

Hmm...

@KasperVld, hate to pester on the topic, but if I made a separate forum/website/folder directory and linked the GoFundMe there would that be violating 2.2i?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.