navigating for contracts

I'm new to contracts but i seem not to be getting something right, How would you navigate to get to a certain area, Example I have a contract that says do a crew report under 19000 feet over a certain area. I go to map mode select to activate and then shoot up on 2 stage rocket. one to get me up there and the other to try to fly to the point. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a mod that would help me? Thank you in advance

Edited by SteveP

Yes, you activate each waypoint in map mode and then fly there.

The smart way to do those contracts is with an airplane. If you are in the very early game, the airplane probably needs a builtin small rocket booster for the high altitude contracts.

If you'd like an example airplane, I can post one. Generally two junos plus a terrier will get a small plane to any contract altitude you want.

If you have more tech than that available, a panther engine will fly you to any contract. Sometimes you can get the panther engines on a contract, and use the panther to fill all the other contracts.

52 minutes ago, SteveP said:

Hey quick question is it possible to do contracts in career mode?

??? That's the only time you can do contracts. Career mode. That's what you are in now.

This plane is built to fly maybe 500km and then do three hops up to 19km altitude or higher. But to get that kind of performance out of it you have to practice.

For shorter distances and fewer high altitude hops, remove some fuel from the tanks. That'll make it easier to fly.

Basically, climb to 9km altitude with just the jet engines at full throttle. Fly to your target. When the bottom of the target marker is 30 degrees above the horizon, turn on the rocket. Then immediate tap S to get your nose up to 30 to 40 degrees. When you are two to three km below your target altitude, shut down the rocket. You do that by having the fuel tank window open, and blocking the oxidizer. Then fly to your next target.

To turn the rocket back on for your next high altitude hop, unblock the oxidizer. Use the little fuel tank last -- it'll give you one more hop, when your plane is very light after burning off all the fuel. Leave some LF in the front tank, if at all possible -- the weight stabilizes the CoM when you are almost out of fuel.

http://www.virtualrealitytoursllc.com/pix/ha_juno_lr.craft

Put it in the SPH folder -- and no, you can use it in any mode, as long as you have the technology. The most expensive technology is the wheels. It will show you a thumbnail of the plane after you have looked at it the first time.

You can usually get the good wheels on a contract. If you can't get the wheels, you can downgrade them to the basic wheels -- but then you need to take out a lot of fuel to make the plane lighter.

Edited by bewing

2 hours ago, SteveP said:

thank you so much I appreciate it. Do I install in the SPH or VAB folders. Do i need to be in sandbox mode to see this ship?

You need to paste it into the SPH folder of your career save (although you can access SPH craft from either the SPH or VAB "open" menus). And have unlocked all the parts in it; you may want to put it into a sandbox save first just to make sure you get how it works while not under pressure.

If you're trying to get a contract under X meters, any jet engine will do, but it's a good opportunity to learn how to fly your plane.

And don't worry about not being very good at designing planes yet; planes are ten times as complicated as rockets.

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by pincushionman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.