help installing mechjeb 2 on mac osx

fluxornyc

hello guys. im fairly new to kerbal and a friend of mine showed me mechjeb. i tried to install it, meaning, put the folder on the gamedata and nothing happens when i start kerbal. i am running the latest version to date on steam. can anyone help me go thru this? thank you

5 hours ago, fluxornyc said:

hello guys. im fairly new to kerbal and a friend of mine showed me mechjeb. i tried to install it, meaning, put the folder on the gamedata and nothing happens when i start kerbal. i am running the latest version to date on steam. can anyone help me go thru this? thank you

If you installed steam in its default folder (C:\Program Files) and let it install games in t^he default library you may have problem running some mods. 

First try to move the game somewhere else ( like C:\Games or something like it), launch it with the KSP_x64.exe and see if it works better. If it does you should set steam to install the game outside "Program Files" (see this for 2 ways of doing it).

If it does not help you should share your game log (see this post to find them and how to share them)

18 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

lol. everybody knows that a Mac isn't a real computer. good luck!

1. Thanks for taking some of your time for this amazing contrubution to the forum.
  2. No mention of Mac in the OP.

no, really. that's my answer. don't use mac for gaming.
sure, it's great for visual design and sound engineering, but it pales in comparison to a regular PC and you got to jump through hoops to get everything to work properly,
if the game supports mac at all, and most games don't, for good reason.

Edited by Xyphos

9 hours ago, sarbian said:

If you installed steam in its default folder (C:\Program Files) and let it install games in t^he default library you may have problem running some mods. 

First try to move the game somewhere else ( like C:\Games or something like it), launch it with the KSP_x64.exe and see if it works better. If it does you should set steam to install the game outside "Program Files" (see this for 2 ways of doing it).

If it does not help you should share your game log (see this post to find them and how to share them)

1. Thanks for taking some of your time for this amazing contrubution to the forum.

thats the thing. im using mac osx, not pc

9 hours ago, Xyphos said:

no, really. that's my answer. don't use mac for gaming.
sure, it's great for visual design and sound engineering, but it pales in comparison to a regular PC and you got to jump through hoops to get everything to work properly,
if the game supports mac at all, and most games don't, for good reason.

well im using mac and its better than my pc.

9 hours ago, sarbian said:

The game support it and it works great on it. Again go have your fun elsewhere and let us help people here. 

thank you!

10 hours ago, sarbian said:

just for the record, im using prob the latest version 1.1.3.1289

13 hours ago, sarbian said:

No, you should answer the question I asked before. 1. Did you put the AR202 part on your ship 2. Post a log ( this )

ok im confused. i tool the folder out of steam. now is in my desktop. what is the AR202 part and what ship are you talking about?

and the link you sent me is about moving a game to another directory. if so. i didnt use anything, i just moved the folder to the desktop

im sorry but like i said, i am very new into all of this and i really appreciate the help

Ok, fellow Mac user here.  :wink:  (Not a Steam user, if that matters.)

Two things are being talked about:

First off, in <path/to/KSP>/GameData/ you should have the 'MechJeb2' folder.  <path/to/KSP> is whatever your current path to the 'Kerbal Space Program' folder is - I've got mine in /Applications/Games, but again I don't use Steam.  I don't believe it should matter what directory the game is in.  (Unless it's installed via Steam, in which case Steam probably wants to know where it is.)  It was mentioned what the default location is for the game on Windows - but we can ignore that, because we're not on Windows.

Secondly, once that's done, to activate MechJeb on a ship in the game, you need to attach an AR202 or a MechJebPod to that ship.  The AR202 is a radially attached thing that looks kinda like a walkie-talkie.  The MechJeb Pod is a full drone core pod that looks something like a 'Portal' intelligence core on a mount, and is awkward as hell to use so I would advise against it.  :wink:  Both of these parts should be available in the Command tab, assuming you've unlocked them.  (Or are in Sandbox mode where everything's unlocked.)  Once one of these has been attached to a ship in the VAB or SPH, you should see something pop up along the side of the screen to give you access to MechJeb's functions.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

Ok, fellow Mac user here.  :wink:  (Not a Steam user, if that matters.)

Two things are being talked about:

First off, in <path/to/KSP>/GameData/ you should have the 'MechJeb2' folder.  <path/to/KSP> is whatever your current path to the 'Kerbal Space Program' folder is - I've got mine in /Applications/Games, but again I don't use Steam.  I don't believe it should matter what directory the game is in.  (Unless it's installed via Steam, in which case Steam probably wants to know where it is.)  It was mentioned what the default location is for the game on Windows - but we can ignore that, because we're not on Windows.

Secondly, once that's done, to activate MechJeb on a ship in the game, you need to attach an AR202 or a MechJebPod to that ship.  The AR202 is a radially attached thing that looks kinda like a walkie-talkie.  The MechJeb Pod is a full drone core pod that looks something like a 'Portal' intelligence core on a mount, and is awkward as hell to use so I would advise against it.  :wink:  Both of these parts should be available in the Command tab, assuming you've unlocked them.  (Or are in Sandbox mode where everything's unlocked.)  Once one of these has been attached to a ship in the VAB or SPH, you should see something pop up along the side of the screen to give you access to MechJeb's functions.

Bro. you are my hero! Thank you so much!

now since you are reading this and you use a mac. were you able to install the CKAN?

i cant seem to pass the mono thing. i have wine so it open from there but it doesnt find the folders once its open. maybe you can help me with that too.

thank you very much for all DStaal

Unfortunately I'm on a very old Mac - a 2008 Mac Pro.  It runs KSP fairly well (with the performance hits a nearly decade-old computer would expect...), but it won't run the current OS, and mono won't run on 10.7.5.  So I haven't even really looked into CKAN.

On 7/27/2016 at 11:50 AM, DStaal said:

Unfortunately I'm on a very old Mac - a 2008 Mac Pro.  It runs KSP fairly well (with the performance hits a nearly decade-old computer would expect...), but it won't run the current OS, and mono won't run on 10.7.5.  So I haven't even really looked into CKAN.

nice man. and thank you. now i can help others. i saw this question many times in 3 days. mind as well solve it to them like you did to me

12 hours ago, fourfa said:

Short answer: CKAN not worth it on mac

thank you for letting me know man

12 hours ago, fourfa said:

Short answer: CKAN not worth it on mac

12 hours ago, fluxornyc said:

ok after trying with multiple ships, everytime i enable the autopilot and start the flight, the craft starts spinning the roll and then it keeps getting worse. any thoughts?

Well, it at least sounds like you've got MechJeb to work.  :wink:  Hard to know for sure from that description - you don't mention which autopilot, the settings, the design of the ship, anything.  MechJeb is good, but it's not magic, and it can't handle every ship.

My suggestion would be to take any further discussion to the MechJeb thread - and start with a screenshot of the ship in flight, with the relevant autopilot window open and visible in the image.  They should be able to help from there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.