100% Scale Boeing 777

100% Scale Boeing 777

I have been working on this project for a couple of weeks and I have decided to share the progress so far with you all. It is no where near done, but it is starting to really take shape. I will only be making the cockpit area and maybe the engines as subassemblies because the part count is through the roof on this craft already. Along with the time it would take to built the entire plane.

This is where she's at currently.

There's a normal MK3 cockpit for comparison on the last image.

I will update this post when the cockpit is nearing completion, but to give you a frame of reference for this plane..... It takes me around 5 to 10 minutes to apply Each body panel.  I want it to look as real as possible so I am going to spend a lot of time tweaking and tuning every panel so they line up and fit as perfectly as possible.

Stay tuned!

Comment any suggestions or question! I would appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Amazing job so far man! Are you going to put a luggage bay underneath the cabin?

Thanks! I think i'm just going to finish the cockpit and engines. As the part count would be near 1000 if I did the whole plane.

There is no need for most of that inner framework dude. especially all those cubic struts. Download editor extensions redux and use the no offset limit to build the outer skin without the inner framework. It will save you a tonne of parts.

Just now, Majorjim said:

There is no need for most of that inner framework dude. especially all those cubic struts. Download editor extensions redux and use the no offset limit to build the outer skin without the inner framework. It will save you a tonne of parts.

But it looks way cooler and helps with the shaping a TON. It's like scaffolding for the plane. I'd also like to be able to remove the cabin section in the end without taking the entire cockpit with it.

Also higher structural integrity and less struts of you just attach the body panels to the frame. I use EER for my turboshaft engines and turboprop planes.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Is this finished? DL?

NVM, saw it's on KerbalX. Gunna download it and critique your panel placement. :wink:

Something is amiss dude... It just explodes immediately upon loading in. Every single time, even with hack gravity it explodes when I try to power up the engine.. Also it does not have any landing gear. Also, 1600 parts?

I know you think high part counts mean a good craft but looking at it you have wasted a lot of parts on unnecessary things. To be good at replica building you need to learn how to make more with less. I used to, like you, just spam parts to make shapes and honestly there are ways of making shapes using less parts that ends up looking far, far better. Things like the exhaust on your main engines and all that stuff inside.. They serve no purpose, look out of place and use up a lot of parts. Also you have used too many struts. Looking inside I can see how you could save a lot of struts by placing them better and smarter.

I looked at the nose and whilst the overall shape is ok it is very messy looking. There are ways of making shapes like that with panels and have them look a lot smoother. Try to minimize the number of corners that poke out. I was the first to discover that if you click and drag the rotate tool you get more precision the further out you push the mouse. Use this teqnique it will help! I see a lot that can be improved on that nose.

(I have had an idea for a thread for a while and seeing that you said you spent a lot of time on the nose ans also seeing the end result makes me more keen to start it. Keep an eye out for that thread)

Lastly, there are a huge number of exposed struts man.. These can of course be hidden and still effective. These sorts of tricks take time to learn. Try to find the tiny gaps and or think laterally and strut to the opposite side to hide them.

I hope you didn't find this too scathing a report. I am just trying to help you become a better builder. Don't feel discouraged man! You clearly have the dedication to attempt big builds so keep up the building man, you will get better with time!

MJ

:)

@Jebadiah Kerban 

Weird, it works fine for me, and it works fine for a lot of people. Yeah obviously there are clipped parts. You can't make a decent looking replica without part clipping.

@Majorjim! Try playing it with KJR installed. I already told you why i didnt put on landing gear in the main thread. There are none big enough. I tried using tweakscale for some gear which worked OK but the engines sagged without KJR installed. Then the wings bowed significantly upward in flight. Every time i load up the plane the flaps and control surfaces move differently but i never noticed any exposed struts. I said in the main topic that a lot of stuff on the plane is for purely aesthetics. I built the plane for looks not functionality. Anything over 500 parts is impractical in this game anyway. I also never noticed very many edges sticking out except for the VERY nose. Making a nosecone with the shape that was required is just not possible with a single part. A cone that is flattened at the top. I don't really see how the engine exhaust degrades from the quality of the plane. It comes out of the engines. I can't do anything about it. There are so many struts because the plane is HUGE and the KSP spaghetti joints just dont cut it. It literally falls apart even with all the struts it has. 

Bro, i worked on this plane for a month and worked out every kink i could. If you want to send me a craft where these are all fixed i'd love to see it.

25 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Try playing it with KJR installed.

Right I forgot about that.

25 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I already told you why i didnt put on landing gear in the main thread.

Yeah sorry I forgot about that too.

29 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

i never noticed any exposed struts.

Here are the exposed struts I saw

rutzih.png

37 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Bro, i worked on this plane for a month and worked out every kink i could. If you want to send me a craft where these are all fixed i'd love to see it.

I would if I had time, if its even possible! :D and I know you wanted to recreate the shape more than anything and I understand that! You did a great job with that man, I would love to see it flying and landing and what not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.