Forum Down Earlier?

ZooNamedGames

No, it wasn't just you. I thought that since I am so close to 1,000 rep, the forum's database crashed so that I would either have to recreate my user name (as I did after the great forum crash of '12) OR I would be set back to +500 rep.  :D

There are times I just feel that the universe conspires against me...

19 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

There was an update to the forum software pushed yesterday, which was the source of the outage and seems to have affected followers. It's being investigated, stay tuned.

What was in the update?

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Not sure, I haven't seen the changelog but if it's anything like previous ones it's "Various fixes for reported issues" or similar.

Kinda ironic if you think about it...

Hi guys,

A bit of confusion set in I see. There was no forum update yesterday, although we are planning one for this week. The current version of the software has a bug whereby if two accounts are merged follow records can in some cases be deleted, and it appears that's what happened yesterday when I personally merged two accounts. I'm sorry that the bug hit, but at this point I don't think there's much we can do to restore the follow records as one of the reasons the update hasn't been applied is that we're waiting to resolve an issue with database backups. Ironically, the bug in question will be fixed once the update is applied.

18 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

Hi guys,

A bit of confusion set in I see. There was no forum update yesterday, although we are planning one for this week. The current version of the software has a bug whereby if two accounts are merged follow records can in some cases be deleted, and it appears that's what happened yesterday when I personally merged two accounts. I'm sorry that the bug hit, but at this point I don't think there's much we can do to restore the follow records as one of the reasons the update hasn't been applied is that we're waiting to resolve an issue with database backups. Ironically, the bug in question will be fixed once the update is applied.

wait.... I lost all my followers as well.  Not a big deal, 3 are already re-following me.  But I'm confused, you merged my account?   Or did merging two other accounts cause it to happen forum wide?

Just now, Just Jim said:

wait.... I lost all my followers as well.  Not a big deal, 3 are already re-following me.  But I'm confused, you merged my account?   Or did merging two other accounts cause it to happen forum wide?

The latter

@KasperVld speaking of the follow function, is there any way to possibly add in a "Follow" button on the small popup when you hover over a forum users name, on the left of a post, where their rep/post count is... ie add a button for follow along with the "Message User", "ignore User", "Find Content" buttons?... Kind of a small pain to have to load up their profile page, and follow them from there... I ask, since I use "Message" & "Follow", WAYYYY more than I ever use "Ignore" or "Find Content"....??

I am flattered that this thread is linked for info about the follower loss issue, but I had a grammatical correction.

"Following downtime on July 25th a lot of 'follow user' records were unfortunate lost." correction- "During the forum downtime on July 25th, a lot of 'follow user' records were unfortunately lost."

I don't mean to nitpick, but since appearance can be everything, I just want to give you a bit of help with what your saying :P @KasperVld.

22 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I am flattered that this thread is linked for info about the follower loss issue, but I had a grammatical correction.

"Following downtime on July 25th a lot of 'follow user' records were unfortunate lost." correction- "During the forum downtime on July 25th, a lot of 'follow user' records were unfortunately lost."

I don't mean to nitpick, but since appearance can be everything, I just want to give you a bit of help with what your saying :P @KasperVld.

" I don't mean to nitpick, but since appearance can be everything, I just want to give you a bit of help with what your saying "

You mean "What you`re saying"...

4 minutes ago, John FX said:

" I don't mean to nitpick, but since appearance can be everything, I just want to give you a bit of help with what your saying "

You mean "What you`re saying"...

English is a degenerative language. I'll say it how I want.

32 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It's their language- doesn't mean I abide by it.

Well, do not get too caught up in correcting others' bad English. It is in bad form when you make a careless mistake in your post correcting others... :blush: To be honest, it is one of my social media pet peeves!

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Well, do not get too caught up in correcting others' bad English. It is in bad form when you make a careless mistake in your post correcting others... :blush: To be honest, it is one of my social media pet peeves!

Well your're ok. It won't bother you much :P .

33 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well, your're you're ok. It won't bother you much :P .

[Grammar and spelling corrected by adsii1970... and that's how I roll]

^^ This is what happens when you've been grading exams and final project papers for three days with very little brain breaks.  :confused: