Launching a synchronous satellite network in one launch

Waaaaaaaay back when, maybe about .28, I think, I used to play KSP a lot with remotetech. There was a guide on the forums here on how to launch three satellites at one time in one launch and have them in constant contact. Now, I know there are a *TON* of threads like that, and I know how to do it on Kerbin. 

What was special about this thread was that it included the math and the calculations needed to figure it out. I was able to use that math and extend it to figure out how to do it on other celestial bodies. 

Does anyone know, by any chance, know where that thread is? If not, then where I can find the equations?

Nevermind, found the post in an old bookmark backup. 

Edited by doubleohpsycho

Visual Remote Tech Planner for KSP

Kepler laws

Multiple satellite deployment is actually pretty simple,  after the first satellite you want to phase out the next satellite by 360°/[number of satellites]  repeat until all satellites are set. 

First thing to notice is: circular orbit are the special case where orbital velocity (as thus angle covered)  is constant.  While it's possible to calculate and setup a functional satellite network with elliptical orbits it's not so trivial. 

Secound thing to notice: Higher orbit means longer orbital period. We can conclude that from 2nd or 3rd Kepler law.  

So you can do the math (or make the tools available do it for you)  or just use this guidelines to estimate your maneuvers. As long you don't mind to make adjustments it's not hard to eyeball your way in a good setup. 

I actually made a tool for determining the desired orbit and coverage for either or both of two conditions, a given number of satellites, and the range of the omni antenna on said satellites.

Edited by DaMachinator
Cleaned up formatting

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.