Large adorned nosecones

damerell

I've a desire for a part which I'm asking about here in the hope that someone will tell me it exists already.

I want a large nosecone, but which has one or more nodules for additional stack-mounted parts added partway along it, facing the same way as the tip of the nosecone... so for example one might mount an underslung cockpit on a nosecone.

Here is a bad drawing of the object - side on it looks like a nosecone with a protrusion, end-on we can see the two stack-mount points facing us.

object.png

You could always put a http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tail_Connector_B on the side of a 2.5m nosecone/adapter and rotate+clip it to your needs.

For Size 0, I'd just clip an appropriate inline fuel tank attached radially by means of e.g. a cubic octogonal strut.

Is it supposed to be aerodynamic? I'm not sure about the drag specifics with these kind of constructions. Is it still adviseable to put a small nosecone on the clipped end?

I dislike clipping tricks in general but I admit that seems like a good idea. The node_attach point for the tail connectors is on the wrong side but it would be easy to edit the part configuration to produce a part that attaches on its sloping side. (I don't want to just rotate it inwards because then the stack attach end won't face directly forwards).

I do intend to put something relatively pointy on the clipped end - probably a (possibly scaled up) shielded docking port. (The aim of this exercise is to fit a cockpit with good look-down visibility under the nose of a large craft, while having a docking port more or less on the main axis through the CoG of the vessel).

• 1 month later...

I ended up using the Mk2 Extension's radial mount pieces. If the cone is comprised of two large adapters with a short flat-sided piece (like a reaction wheel or tank) in between them, it works quite well. The Mk2 pieces hanging off the side can be given a long tail piece to merge nicely back into the cone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.