Least practical grand tour order.

Joonatan1998

What do you think would be hardest order to visit all solid planets/moons in the game with one ship, starting from kerbin.

My suggestion:

Eeloo>Gilly>Pol>Minmus>Bob>Moho>Vall>Ike>Laythe>Mun>Tylo>Eve>Dres>DunaDuna

Edited by Joonatan1998

10 minutes ago, solarbearman said:

Eve should be first if you're planning to do a landing

It depends on mission profile. If you're planning on a direct ascent profile everywhere, with no dockings, then yes Eve should be first. However, if you are allowing separate lander vehicles then Eve should be near the end, because that way all the mass of the Eve lander has to be taken with you everywhere else.

5 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

It depends on mission profile. If you're planning on a direct ascent profile everywhere, with no dockings, then yes Eve should be first. However, if you are allowing separate lander vehicles then Eve should be near the end, because that way all the mass of the Eve lander has to be taken with you everywhere else.

Nah, you use your Eve lander as your transfer stage for everywhere else and fill it with ISRU. :P

8 hours ago, Joonatan1998 said:

What do you think would be hardest order to visit all solid planets/moons in the game with one ship, starting from kerbin.

My suggestion:

Eeloo>Gilly>Pol>Minmus>Bob>Moho>Vall>Ike>Laythe>Mun>Tylo>Eve>Duna

You should probably visit Dres at some point to make it an actual Grand Tour.

Also, starting from Kerbin sounds a bit too practical.  Put the Kerbin landing somewhere in the middle.

As solarbearman stated, Eve should be first if you're planning a landing, with Tylo being second but since the OP suggested least practical, I'd say Eve should be done last so you're stuck towing that 12,000 dV Eve lander AND Tylo lander around with you to every other planet and moon.

Edited by Xyphos

On 28.7.2016 at 11:14 PM, suicidejunkie said:

You should probably visit Dres at some point to make it an actual Grand Tour.

Also, starting from Kerbin sounds a bit too practical.  Put the Kerbin landing somewhere in the middle.

I knew I forgot something...

Eve should be the last, since you need to carry the heavy lander everywhere.

Even if you plan to do the whole thing with one ship without docking, Eve first would be the easiest way, since that is the only place you can't ssto after refueling.

Edited by Joonatan1998

• 4 weeks later...

Want an even more impractical grand tour? Install a couple of mods. With Outer Planets and Xen's Planet Collection, I get the feeling that this next order will make things far worse on anyone wanting to visit all of these planets. (As an aside, I am planning on doing a grand tour including both of those mods soonish, but in a far more efficient order).

For this order to be truly horribly inefficient, there are four independent landers and a mothership. Eve has its own lander. There are two identical non-atmospheric landers each with a Slate/Tylo descent module, and the ascent module should be able to  serve as a lander for anywhere else non-atmospheric, as well as Duna and Eeloo. There should also be another aerospike-based lander for Laythe, Mios, and Richell, as their atmospheres are significant enough that a vacuum engine won't suffice. Also, for added inconvenience, the mothership should get into orbit around every celestial body before it can deploy its lander.

Start on Kerbin ==> Sarnus system ==> Moho ==> Urlum system ==> Mios system ==> Neidon system ==> Minmus ==> Mun ==> Dres ==> Jool system ==> Eve's moons (not Eve itself yet) ==> Richell system ==> Duna system ==> Eve ==> Plock-Karen system ==> Finish on Kerbin.

And, though not the topic of this thread, I feel like the most practical route would be Kerbin system ==> Eve system ==> Moho ==> Eve system again to refuel at Gilly ==> Duna system ==> Mios system ==> Dres ==> Richell system ==> Plock-Karen system ==> Neidon system ==> Urlum system ==> Sarnus system ==> Jool system ==> Kerbin. This is the route that I'll be taking on my Extended Kerbol Grand Tour when I do that.

Edited by eloquentJane

17 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Want an even more impractical grand tour? Install a couple of mods. With Outer Planets and Xen's Planet Collection, I get the feeling that this next order will make things far worse on anyone wanting to visit all of these planets. (As an aside, I am planning on doing a grand tour including both of those mods soonish, but in a far more efficient order).

For this order to be truly horribly inefficient, there are four independent landers and a mothership. Eve has its own lander. There are two identical non-atmospheric landers each with a Slate/Tylo descent module, and the ascent module should be able to  serve as a lander for anywhere else non-atmospheric, as well as Duna and Eeloo. There should also be another aerospike-based lander for Laythe, Mios, and Richell, as their atmospheres are significant enough that a vacuum engine won't suffice. Also, for added inconvenience, the mothership should get into orbit around every celestial body before it can deploy its lander.

Start on Kerbin ==> Sarnus system ==> Moho ==> Urlum system ==> Mios system ==> Neidon system ==> Minmus ==> Mun ==> Dres ==> Jool system ==> Eve's moons (not Eve itself yet) ==> Richell system ==> Duna system ==> Eve ==> Plock-Karen system ==> Finish on Kerbin.

And, though not the topic of this thread, I feel like the most practical route would be Kerbin system ==> Eve system ==> Moho ==> Eve system again to refuel at Gilly ==> Duna system ==> Mios system ==> Dres ==> Richell system ==> Plock-Karen system ==> Neidon system ==> Urlum system ==> Sarnus system ==> Jool system ==> Kerbin. This is the route that I'll be taking on my Extended Kerbol Grand Tour when I do that.

If you want truly inefficient, you'd be switching between moons randomly. So it would be something like Gilly-Thatmo-Ike-Tekto-Pol-Slate- ... etc.

Finding the absolutely worst grand tour route is to a first approximation a travelling salesman problem, where you want delta-V to be maximised. That's a Hard Problem.

3 hours ago, cantab said:

If you want truly inefficient, you'd be switching between moons randomly. So it would be something like Gilly-Thatmo-Ike-Tekto-Pol-Slate- ... etc.

Well I did try to come up with something like that, but I lost track of the moons since that extended version of the Kerbol system has 36 celestial bodies with a solid surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.