Let us choose the default control reference point in the VAB

One particularly frustrating experience I frequently have when I am launching rockets with multiple probe cores is the default control reference point is not pointed up with east to the left, as about everyone is used launching rockets with. This is especially a problem with rovers or anything else with a skycrane, which normally has more than one probe core. This issue forces you to attempt to clip the camera and right click the desired probe core, which isn't always easy. Even worse, sometime the reference point switches when you go into orbit view, in the middle of the launch as you check your apoapsis, causing your rocket to spin out of control.

2 hours ago, THX1138 said:

It would be nice to be able to change it after launch as well though.

That said, I think the control-from-here point changing when switching to map view is a bug.

You mean before launch right? After launch it can be done by right clicking and selecting "Control from here."

Yeah I think it's a bug as well, but it does compound the problem.

4 minutes ago, storm_soldier2377 said:

You mean before launch right? After launch it can be done by right clicking and selecting "Control from here."

Yeah I think it's a bug as well, but it does compound the problem.

True, you can change it. But as soon as you detach something control reverts back to the root part if the root part is on 'the other ship'. This can result in a catastrophic loss of control.
Control should stay with the part of your choice no matter what.

39 minutes ago, storm_soldier2377 said:

Yes but it doesn't persist; it can change back to some other control-from-here point when switching between vessels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.