Make a Soyuz rocket. (Capsule and launcher) Mods allowed.

Just now, Andiron said:

It doesn't look like it's modded, he made it with steel beams (because jet fuel can't melt steel beams)

Oh please don't start the "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams" argument. Because it can melt steel beams and this is not a thread for starting arguments. Also, rockets do NOT use jet fuel, they use Nitrogen tetroxide combined with hydrazine, OR liquid hydrogen combined with oxidizer, or kerosene along with oxidizer. Nitrogen tetroxide can also be used with Unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine as rocket fuel. Jet fuel is not kerosene anymore. (Sorry for ranting)

18 minutes ago, InfiniteAtom said:

ATTENTION: AM I MISSING ANYONE'S MODDED SUBMISSION OR SUBMISSION? DID I MISS ANY? IF SO PLZ TELL ME.

Mine I guess. Mind if I launch same rocket again and take the missing "after landing" shot preferably on solid ground?

2 minutes ago, InfiniteAtom said:

..rockets do NOT use jet fuel, ... they use kerosene along with oxidizer.

Isn't kerosene pretty much jet fuel?

2 minutes ago, InfiniteAtom said:

Oh please don't start the "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams" argument. Because it can melt steel beams and this is not a thread for starting arguments. Also, rockets do NOT use jet fuel, they use Nitrogen tetroxide combined with hydrazine, OR liquid hydrogen combined with oxidizer, or kerosene along with oxidizer. Nitrogen tetroxide can also be used with Unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine as rocket fuel. Jet fuel is not kerosene anymore. (Sorry for ranting)

Chillout, it's just a joke ! And my rocket is a kerolox one

1 minute ago, ImmaStegosaurus! said:

Mine I guess. Mind if I launch same rocket again and take the missing "after landing" shot preferably on solid ground?

ATTENTION: AM I MISSING ANYONE'S MODDED SUBMISSION OR SUBMISSION? DID I MISS ANY? IF SO PLZ TELL ME.

Oh I did not realize that you forgot to post that picture, but yes go ahead and relaunch it, a ocean landing or one on land is fine.

2 minutes ago, Andiron said:

Chillout, it's just a joke ! And my rocket is a kerolox one

I said sorry for ranting.

9 minutes ago, ImmaStegosaurus! said:

Isn't kerosene pretty much jet fuel?

It's far better, RP-1 is a very refined kerosen to prevent carbonization inside the rocket engine because of the huge heat.

8 minutes ago, InfiniteAtom said:

I said sorry for ranting.

Didn't mean to upset you, so i'm sorry

3 hours ago, InfiniteAtom said:

Is this modded? If no, how did you do the gantry arms?

No, this is all stock. Basically, the gantry arms are attached to a stack decoupler and I attached an ore tank to the bottom as a counterweight. I hid this with those wing connectors which help keep the arm falling all the way back.

I'm not sure if that is clear or not, this might help:

aPZAHF3.png

Removed the wing connectors to demonstrate.

joVVL7I.png

Stage the decoupler and gravity does the rest.

3 hours ago, InfiniteAtom said:

Pictures of landing or splashdown for proof?

The image requirements didn't say anything about that, they did say that I could put them in as a bonus, though. Anyways, here:

Re-entry

kNubFl3.png

Just about to re-enter, going 2.2 km/s

Drogue Chute Deployment

ozyQ4UO.png

Main Parachutes

Nv301sw.png

The drogue is cut and the main chutes are deployed.

Heat Shield Jettison

YuUAZB9.png

The heat shield is ditched to lighten the spacecraft.

Retro Rockets 

EKGkgXE.png

Retro rockets are ignited to slow the spacecraft down to 3 m/s before splashdown.

Splashdown

NW36HKp.png

Stock Soyuz entry, I hope you don't mind me using a launch site other than the KSC but the Kosmodrome is just so fitting.

For Mother Krussia

http://imgur.com/a/CmP5Q

Only mod installed that is used is Kerbal Engineer Redux for information no parts affected, BDArmory not used on this craft nor is vessel mover, only have that for moving an aircraft carrier to the ocean and ASDSs

Also, @sgt_flyer that Soyuz is just absolutely beautiful for a stock replica.

Edited by Fraus

On 8/5/2016 at 3:53 PM, Andiron said:

It's far better, RP-1 is a very refined kerosen to prevent carbonization inside the rocket engine because of the huge heat.

Didn't mean to upset you, so i'm sorry

You did not upset me. You are fine. I just felt compelled to get scienc-ey about it.

42 minutes ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Add a bonus for actually transporting the rocket to the launchpad by train. Please.

Bonus added.

23 hours ago, Fraus said:

Stock Soyuz entry, I hope you don't mind me using a launch site other than the KSC but the Kosmodrome is just so fitting.

For Mother Krussia

Only mod installed that is used is Kerbal Engineer Redux for information no parts affected, BDArmory not used on this craft nor is vessel mover, only have that for moving an aircraft carrier to the ocean and ASDSs

I need more images to enter this into the contest.

1 hour ago, InfiniteAtom said:

I need more images to enter this into the contest.

I apologize then, if you could just tell me which ones I will get to it in the morning.

14 minutes ago, Fraus said:

I apologize then, if you could just tell me which ones I will get to it in the morning.

You do NOT need to apologize, also I liked your "Mother Krussia" joke. Here:

You must provide images of your rocket in the following places/situations:

8a. On the launchpad.

8b. a few hundred meters off the launchpad (Void if replica is a mini Soyuz and cannot fly.)

8c.Right after the first stage boosters have separated. (Void if replica is a mini Soyuz and cannot fly.)

8d. In orbit with map view open showing trajectory. (Void if replica is a mini Soyuz and cannot fly.)

8e. Landed after re-entry. (NO CHEATING!) (This means splashed down or on land, or reasonable slow enough to imply that it survived the landing)

8.1: OPTIONAL images of your creation:

8.1a. With parachute deployed

8.1b. With crew next to the rocket.

8.2: Bonus points!!

If you use similar engines on your rocket to what is actually used (looks wise) then you get bonus points!! (Provide a image from the vehicle designer in the VAB)

If you transport the rocket to the launchpad by train you get bonus points. This however, will require a picture for proof and I hope you have a means of lifting the rocket up vertically. A video would be desired but you are not required to use a video.

9. Any other images are allowed but please make it clear that they are extra images

So I am assuming the only one I am missing is 8D then right? Or do you want me to deorbit my second one as well? Only asking because I am being cheeky and using this as an excuse to send crew to my station. Also after looking at some of these designs I may start to remake some designs specifically the orbital module..

http://imgur.com/a/kf6vX

I will also link a download to my craft file when I am done working on it.

Edited by Fraus
Forgot something, silly me.

On 8/7/2016 at 6:03 PM, Fraus said:

So I am assuming the only one I am missing is 8D then right? Or do you want me to deorbit my second one as well? Only asking because I am being cheeky and using this as an excuse to send crew to my station. Also after looking at some of these designs I may start to remake some designs specifically the orbital module..

http://imgur.com/a/kf6vX

I will also link a download to my craft file when I am done working on it.

Please deorbit and provide photos. I know this is strenous requirements, but I have to hold people to the same standards. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2016 at 8:54 PM, Fraus said:

For Mother Krussia

Yes you may use other launch sites such as the Kosmodrome.

Hi This is my contribuion for THE SOYOUZ CHALLENGE

NO MODS ONLY STOCK PARTS, as the rules say! And a video of a complete flight (liftoff, all stages, docking to the station, reentry and landing )

Rocket Made By broxmob from the forum of the french site jeuxvideo.com ( http://www.jeuxvideo.com/profil/bronxmob?mode=page_perso )

And Video made by me !

Hope it will please you! Enjoy !

Edited by iceolator88
forgot a sentence :)

• 3 weeks later...

Me be back.

My previous design couldn't orbit due to abyssimal TWR, but I used 1.2 and the T30 buff to get it to finally fly! (Only to realise it is way too wobbly to go anywhere but straight up)

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/tQGlw

Spoiler

J86QUXf.png

TMIf7VF.png

ls2kOs3.png

HnIJ3po.png

5PH1HAE.png

JFVMYxh.png

Engine layout (non gimballed engines + verniers) and sizes of all stages are accurate. Mass is still far from being the same as the real one (500t).

Still need to fix the wobbling to make it fly properly, and I will probably change a few more things (especially on Block A).

On 8/29/2016 at 10:40 AM, iceolator88 said:

NO MODS ONLY STOCK PARTS, as the rules say! And a video of a complete flight (liftoff, all stages, docking to the station, reentry and landing )

Rocket Made By broxmob from the forum of the french site jeuxvideo.com ( http://www.jeuxvideo.com/profil/bronxmob?mode=page_perso )

And Video made by me !

I am very sorry that I did not see this post. EDIT: Excuse me, you used some else s  rocket for the challenge?

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

Me be back.

My previous design couldn't orbit due to abyssimal TWR, but I used 1.2 and the T30 buff to get it to finally fly! (Only to realise it is way too wobbly to go anywhere but straight up)

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/tQGlw

Hide contents

J86QUXf.png

TMIf7VF.png

ls2kOs3.png

HnIJ3po.png

5PH1HAE.png

JFVMYxh.png

Engine layout (non gimballed engines + verniers) and sizes of all stages are accurate. Mass is still far from being the same as the real one (500t).

Still need to fix the wobbling to make it fly properly, and I will probably change a few more things (especially on Block A).

Alright. I will put you down as pending.

On 8/29/2016 at 10:40 AM, iceolator88 said:

And Video made by me !

This doesn't necessary mean I will deny this, but I have to think about it.

Edited by InfiniteAtom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.