Old Oberter

Ty Tan Tu

I am an old orbiter user. One thing you should know about me is that I am lazy and not above cheating. I edit config files all the time - i already edited a file in the demo version of Kerbal because it did't give me enough fuel to finish a tutorial. In Orbiter, I once put the Jovian moons in orbit around Earth just so I wouldn't have to fly all the way out to Jupiter to visit them.

I am a casual user of Orbiter who mostly just tools around the solar system in the Delta Glider looking for weird orbits around Callisto and such. In all probability, I will build a version of the Delta Glider in Kerbal too.

But hey, it is my toy and I will do with it what I will. :-) But, if I find something cool, I will share it. :-)

Well, I am off to a slow start. Let's hope today will be better, :-)

Without reading anything, I built a rocket I thought might work, but when I launched it, the parachute deployed on launch.

So, I went through the first two rocket building tutorials (the first one makes a joke about what I did in my first attempt). I did the F12 fuel cheat and built a basic ship, capsule, parachute, decoupler, fuel tank, and a liquid fuel engine I pick at random just because it fit on my fuel tank. I don't remember now what it was, but it was powerful. By the time I thought to look at the map I was in escape velocity. I probably could have saved the situation, what with unlimited fuel, but I choose to start over.

Third attempt I pick a smaller engine. I got into orbit well enough and was having fun sculpting my orbit. I considered even doing a Hohmann transfer to Mun, but I could not figure out how to align my plane with Mun. Besides, I needed to know how to get back to Kerbin. Well if you go back and look closely at the parts to my ship, I think you can guess how THAT went. D'oh!!! I forgot the heat shield.

Fourth time is a charm. I added the heat shield and launched into orbit. I think I still came in too hot. My Kerbel was getting very nervous, but at about 8000 things cooled down and the parachute icon turned grey. I staged the chute and safely landed - somewhere. :-)

17 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

...But hey, it is my toy and I will do with it what I will. :-) But, if I find something cool, I will share it. :-)

Yeah, that's the attitude.  Sounds like you know as much as you want to know and, probably, more than you're using.  Also sounds like you're having fun.  What more is there *grin*.

Oh yeah - Easter eggs.  There are quite a few you might enjoy finding in KSP.  SCANsat is a mapping-satellite mod that's good for detecting them, otherwise you can really cheat by looking up their locations on Kerbalmaps.com, or see the relevant threads here.