Mammoth Station. (Efficient Space Station Development)

NSEP

Hello everybody! Im going to start building a space station, entierly made by Mammoth Spacecraft. If your not familiar with the Mammoth Spacecraft, here is a thread you can read: 

So, today we tested the Mammoth X, a manned VSSTO. That works alot like the Soyuz/Space Shuttle.

8SzXXJS.png

Jeb: Ok KSC, we are all go, ready for take off

KSCOk, ignition and lift-off!

After several seconds the Mammoth X reached orbit

KSC: How many Delta-V do you have left Jeb?

Jeb: 700 m/s just not enough to do a rendez-vous, docking and a safe landing back.

Bob: Im getting kind of scared because of what you just said Jeb.

Bill: Will the Mammoth Station have a refuel module?

KSCWe will add that to our list.

The original three are still in orbit, waiting to come back soon. They just have to calcute some things. Stay tuned for the coming back.

Edited by NSEP

The Mammoth X has succesfully landed! No deaths or broken parts!

j0wbkyG.png

Jeb: The Mammoth Has landed!

KSCHow many Delta-V do you have left?

Jeb: 295 m/s!

KSCCheering and clapping in the backround Congratulations!

The NSEP rocket designers are now debating over an extra fuel tank, or a Mammoth X2. The results will come later.

j9pfPH2.png

Today the we tested out the amount of payload that the Mammoth 4 could carry. The Mammoth 4 sended 20 tons into orbit, and the mission control was shocked to find out it has 1,2km/s of Delta -v left while in orbit, after dropping the payload. This means that the Mammoth could actually send 60 tons into orbit rather than 20 tons.

That's a nifty VSSTO.  I much prefer VSSTOs to spaceplanes myself.  The VSSTOs can carry more weight of larger diameter and, most importantly, don't take 20 minutes to reach orbit :)

Just remember, you cargo capacity is limited more by thrust than fuel.  Does it have the TWR to lift 60 tons?

Edited by Geschosskopf

9 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

That's a nifty VSSTO.  I much prefer VSSTOs to spaceplanes myself.  The VSSTOs can carry more weight of larger diameter and, most importantly, don't take 20 minutes to reach orbit :)

Just remember, you cargo capacity is limited more by thrust than fuel.  Does it have the TWR to lift 60 tons?

Idk about the TWR, but i dont think im going to send 60 tons into LKO anytime soon. Good point

The Mammoth 4 send the space station core into a stable LKO!

AUD2q4q.png

Sadly, the landing did not go that well, some parts overheated, and we landed on a slope, luckily, the expensive parts like the body and the engines are still intact, so we just need to fix it a little.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.