Landing on Kerbin's Waters ideas

I'm curious how some of you have accomplished the 'Landed at Kerbin's Waters' situation.  I've heard it is possible to do it with an aircraft carrier/water craft, and I speculate there may be some small islands where it may be possible to accomplish it.   But I am curious what kind of crafts you used to creatively finish this science mission.

To get "landed" on water, you need a solidified form of water to land on, yes?

Try going to a boundary between watery water, and solidified water, and looking around.

(PS. the game automatically generates a thin little band of "Shores" biome around the landed water, to let you know when you are getting close.)

(PPS. also, it depends on which version of the game you are playing. In previous versions: a scientist standing on top of a plane that was floating in the water was considered "landed". When a scientist used to perform an experiment while on EVA, the experimental result reflected the scientist's status -- not the ship's status. So to do all the landed on water experiments, you just went out into the water, EVA'd your scientist, and had him run all the experiments while on EVA. But that doesn't work anymore.)

Edited by bewing

I wold try to design a boat with whatever you need to the missions as an 'upper stage'  coupled,  once you reach kerbin water decouple and hopefully the upper stage will """land """ over the lower stage. 

Personally I consider the whole landed in water situation a bug that need fixing. 

3 hours ago, Sarxis said:

I'm curious how some of you have accomplished the 'Landed at Kerbin's Waters' situation.  I've heard it is possible to do it with an aircraft carrier/water craft, and I speculate there may be some small islands where it may be possible to accomplish it.   But I am curious what kind of crafts you used to creatively finish this science mission.

Well, the easiest is a capsule and a parachute.

Next easiest is an airplane specially designed to survive hitting the water.  This has all the fragile bits mounted up high so they won't get wet and some empty fuel tanks for pontoons,.  It also helps to have airbrakes.  You want to hit the water with less than 50m/s forward speed and as little vertical speed as possible.  Even so, don't expect a graceful touchdown.  It usually results in a big splash and the plane standing on its nose, but if you're not too fast, you won't flip over.

3 hours ago, bewing said:

For an additional hint: if you were to find this lake (and it's not hard to find), and spend a couple hours exploring in and around it, I suspect you would be interested in the results.

screenshot30.png

Is it near the Polar Ice Cap? if so, which pole?

That's the North polar icecap on the right. :wink:

And I disagree slightly with Geschosskopf -- ditching almost any plane in the water is trivially easy. Really, it's easier than landing on the ground, because the water is always perfectly flat, and always at exactly zero altitude. Fly down to an altitude of 10 meters. Get into perfectly level flight with the engines off. Twitch the nose up when it gets down to 5 meters altitude so that you are back in level flight again. Then just let it float down.

Edited by bewing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.