1.1.3 science jr: is it just me?

GoSlash27

... or is this thing ridiculously fragile all of a sudden?

I ran 3 flyby probes to the Mun today and 2 of them blew up on reentry due to the material lab overheating. Full ablator shield, normal reentry profile, no indication of heat. Just *bang* and the missions failed.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, or is it just me?

Best,
-Slashy

Are you using the rick-click option to close the doors on the materials bay before reentry? The doors on the Science Jr. stick out outside the protection of the heat shield so Squad added the option to close them and make it streamlined again.

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

Oh, been a while since I did the career thing. What does this mean?

No ability to EVA anywhere except landed or splashed down on Kerbin; means you've gotta physically return any science experiments if you want the full science bonus.

Edited by foamyesque

I've been closing the doors and they survive reentry. Only to explode on impact when I land on them. I'm certain similar craft used to be able to land on a Science Jr, but now I'm adding extra radial chutes to slow down a bit more. 

On my recent playthrough, I just decided to not bother with goo or jrs. Hasn't slowed me down.

But yes I found way back when atmo changed that the Jrs were particularly terrible for re-entry. I don't know if I've brought one back from anything but early career orbital flights since.

6 hours ago, HvP said:

Are you using the rick-click option to close the doors on the materials bay before reentry? The doors on the Science Jr. stick out outside the protection of the heat shield so Squad added the option to close them and make it streamlined again.

HvP,

Yes I did. I found that one out the hard way.

2 hours ago, Foxster said:

Why are you bringing them back anyway, Slashy? 

What Foamy said; I'm playing "caveman" style. That munar flyby was the last piece of the puzzle. I was on track to complete it in 4 days, but the failures ruined my schedule.

Thus far I've had 6 launches and 3 burn-ups. The first was a low orbit. I assumed it was due to leaving the doors open. The 2 munar returns shouldn't have burned up, but they did. *shrug*.

Best,
-Slashy

11 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

... or is this thing ridiculously fragile all of a sudden?

I ran 3 flyby probes to the Mun today and 2 of them blew up on reentry due to the material lab overheating. Full ablator shield, normal reentry profile, no indication of heat. Just *bang* and the missions failed.

Has anyone else noticed this problem, or is it just me?

Best,
-Slashy

I had the same issue, and solved it by putting a service bay between the science junior and the heat shield. 

7 hours ago, Foxster said:

Why are you bringing them back anyway, Slashy? 

I bring them back to get extra Kerbin biome science upon landing.

One thing I noticed is that the floating UI panel flickers when opening and closing the SciJr, maybe this is related? A bounding box issue perhaps?

31 minutes ago, Kermanzooming said:

I had the same issue, and solved it by putting a service bay between the science junior and the heat shield. 

That's actually how I do it as well. I think I'll try slapping a radiator on it and see if that helps.

Best,
-Slashy

Yes, confirm the Jr is made of glass since 1.12. My early science roller (capsules with a Jr in the middle) shatters on the second roll unless I can wrap it in radiators.  Haven't had problems with heat as long as doors are closed though.

6 hours ago, Jetski said:

Yes, confirm the Jr is made of glass since 1.12. My early science roller (capsules with a Jr in the middle) shatters on the second roll unless I can wrap it in radiators.  Haven't had problems with heat as long as doors are closed though.

Oo. Shadoobay... Shattered.

Sorry. I'm a big dumb animal.

-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.