Modding Monday: Historical Progression Tech Tree!

SQUAD

7 hours ago, mattinoz said:

This would be brilliant if we had per save modding... hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Just clone your KSP install. I myself have long since made a new instance for every new save that I play. You get used to it quickly, and the convenience definitely offsets the ~60 seconds time investment. :wink:

58 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Just clone your KSP install. I myself have long since made a new instance for every new save that I play. You get used to it quickly, and the convenience definitely offsets the ~60 seconds time investment. :wink:

"Disk is full again? How?!"... "Oh right, 10 KSP copies..." :)

On 8/2/2016 at 1:53 AM, PT said:

"Disk is full again? How?!"... "Oh right, 10 KSP copies..." :)

May I suggest you research NTFS junctions? If you have enough knowledge to mod, the knowledge of how to map junctions isn't far off. Then you have separate installs without redundant files!

18 hours ago, ajburges said:

May I suggest you research NTFS junctions? If you have enough knowledge to mod, the knowledge of how to map junctions isn't far off. Then you have separate installs without redundant files!

Or one can also do it with a version control system (I'm not saying this is a better option, just another one).

20 hours ago, ajburges said:

Great idea for new ways for breaking stuff. Too often I add mods under influence of alcohol. That won't work. Deleting trash from Download's is faster and easier :wink:

1 hour ago, damerell said:

Or one can also do it with a version control system (I'm not saying this is a better option, just another one).

That's horrible option! It would be soo sloooow :) Although you could make it rather fast by simple .bat renaming GameData directory before launching KSP (VCS from stone age, or my coworker desktop).

Edited by PT
duck you autocorrection

38 minutes ago, PT said:

Great idea for new ways for breaking stuff. Too often I add mods under influence of alcohol. That won't work. Deleting trash from Download's is faster and easier :wink:

That's horrible option! It would be soo sloooow :) Although you could make it rather fast by simple .bat renaming GameData directory before launching KSP (VCS from stone age, or my coworker desktop).

I think he meant to place the mod and save directories under version control. You can then switch them as needed. More explicit management than junctions though.

A junction based approach could be easily automated with scripts. Though I recommend you write those scripts while sober.

4 hours ago, ajburges said:

I think he meant to place the mod and save directories under version control.

I meant the entire KSP directory. No idea why "PT" thinks it would be slow; file moves in the same filesystem are practically instantaneous.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.