Devnotes Tuesday: Two sprints down, one to go!

SQUAD

2 hours ago, stibbons said:

Once again I get frustrated trying to change the viewpoint of a KSP screenshot. :)

The active path and middle alternate path from the Mun satellite, are they terminating at KSC? Is there any plan to add an indicator for KSC, similar to RemoteTech's big red groundstation dot?

No, because all of Kerbin is your end point.  So the line terminates at Kerbin.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

What goes into deciding which path is "strong"? It doesn't seem to be (just) distance, as that satellite seems to be further away than Kerbin based on the angles, unless I'm interpreting the image incorrectly (which can happen in a 2d image of a 3d situation but I can't see how it would happen here). Oh, and I like the setup. Shows the information you need but doesn't go crazy with the lines.

The angles in that pic are tough to see without rotating the camera.  The munar relay is a LOT closer than Kerbin.  That being said, a probe will check for the for neighbor with the best reception in the network graph, since the relay satellites are really more of an analogue to how we use the MRO and Curiosity (remember, direct comms a la New Horizons is still totally doable).  For example, when transmitting to earth, Curiosity has a data transfer rate of up to 32,000 bits per second.  But the data rate to the MRO can go as high as 2 million bits per second.  So when MRO is overhead, for about eight minutes or so, Curiosity can send a ton of data to the MRO (up to 250 megabits or so).  ... data that would take Curiosity 20+ hours to transmit normally, thus saving on energy, etc.

So in KSP land, you want to get to the closest relay satellite to get that sweet data transfer rate whether you're pushing down instructions, or tryiung to maximize science data.

Edited by RoverDude

10 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Oh right. Like you say, the angles aren't great in that image. It's probably much more obvious that both sats are just taking the shortest route to the surface if it were rotated. (once again frustrated I can't rotate a KSP screenshot :wink: )

I am excited at the operability of the new version.
Because I think that the improvement of contents is first, I don't rush your work.

By the way, when are you going to release a new version?

43 minutes ago, Claw said:

It should, but if you pass me a specific example, I can check for certain.

I don't have a specific one, but it seems that it happens more often than not when you're about 90 degrees from the target, and it may happen more often to maneuver nodes than other things. I'll run a few tests and try to get you a quicksave where it's consistent.

1 hour ago, Laguna said:

MuddrTech™ lives, courtesy of NathanKell! :)

If you watch EJ_SA or Das Valdez on Twitch, "MuddrTech" is the nickname given to using the wheel auto-strutting to essentially provide KJR-lite type joint reinforcement otherwise wobbly constructs.  On a Squadcast, @Arsonide suggested it would go away in 1.2 along with the other wheel workarounds, then more recently @NathanKell hinted that may not be the case, that it might be saved.  Well, it survives...and is EXPANDED as well to other parts?!  I mean, isn't this basically putting a form of KJR into stock? :wink:

Also, great pics of the telemetry system and the new debug screen :)

We decided to keep the autostruts in as an option after the positive reactions we were getting in that stream and elsewhere. @NathanKell expanded my initial implementation of the wheel autostruts to be a tweakable on every part, and we have added multiple modes to customize how they behave. We did lock them away behind the "advanced tweakables" option though, so the player has to explicitly enable them.

Edited by Arsonide

On 8/2/2016 at 10:39 PM, Claw said:

It should, but if you pass me a specific example, I can check for certain.

Here's a quicksave with no mods loaded but I did use alt-f12 to infinite propellant and charge my way into orbit. Just click on each direction node to go from one point to another and you'll notice that the ship frequently starts to go 90 degrees from the correct direction, and then corrects itself. It seems to be worse when it's not straight up and down vertical (on the navball) from where you're currently aiming, and seems absolutely worst when it's 45 degrees. And it is independent of the shaking (if you tap T twice to turn off and on SAS to stop the shaking, it'll still go the wrong direction for a split second before going to the node).

It's not so bad in this example ship, though it is still noticeable. However I've had ships where it seems poor Jeb will never aim at the correct marker.

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

On 8/3/2016 at 12:04 AM, BrutalRIP said:

really???

That's not the name?

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's not the name?

you know its not and considering squad actually sell this game on xbox one why choose a word thats used to insult xbox one and xbox one fans?? 

suppose i expected a bit more professionalism than some console war fanboy remarks..maybe i expect too much idk

[snip: Whether or not this term is a problem, many other things on this website are. Please don't link to it here.] 

9 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Just click on each direction node to go from one point to another and you'll notice that the ship frequently starts to go 90 degrees from the correct direction, and then corrects itself.

I just tried clicking each one in order, top left, top right, etc... I also tried clicking every other mode (skipping), and it appears to turn the correct way. If you end up with more examples give me a shout.

I think one of the worst offenders is a single Mk1 capsule (or with only a parachute), and that case has also been fixed.

2 minutes ago, BrutalRIP said:

you know its not and considering squad actually sell this game on xbox one why choose a word thats used to insult xbox one and xbox one fans?? 

suppose i expected a bit more professionalism than some console war fanboy remarks..maybe i expect too much idk

I always saw it as a fun shorthand term, rather than an insult.

13 minutes ago, Claw said:

I just tried clicking each one in order, top left, top right, etc... I also tried clicking every other mode (skipping), and it appears to turn the correct way. If you end up with more examples give me a shout.

I think one of the worst offenders is a single Mk1 capsule (or with only a parachute), and that case has also been fixed.

Weird. I'll record it and upload a vid, though I'm currently tethered to my cell phone so that won't happen until tomorrow at best. I'll also try it with just the Mk1 pod.

3 minutes ago, BrutalRIP said:

thats the ONLY way its described on Urban Dictionary just scroll down read em all its been used to insult xbox all over the internet...FACT

The ONLY console of the current gen I've even CONSIDERED buying is the xbox one and since the day I heard the term - other than this post of course - I've never called it anything but the xbone.

I don't think of it as disparaging the console so much as the name. And no matter what you think it's at best an odd name. I mean, they went from no number (ostensibly 1) to 360 which doesn't even have a 2 (or a 1) in it, to 1 when it should really be 3. And it's apparently not even 1, but ONE, even though it's not an acronym.

They did it to themselves. Just call it XBOX 3 (or XBOX 4 if you're THAT afraid that people will not buy it because it's one less than the PS4) and stop trying to be cute already.

</soapbox>

1 hour ago, BrutalRIP said:

Ok let's forget the console wars stuff for a second here, the link in the post I quoted, which I removed from the quote is highly inappropriate for this forum and I believe is against the rules of the forum. It is overtly adult content and just downright nasty in parts.  

People of all ages come here and if you want to take shots at someone elses professionalism, or character in any way, you should examine what you are doing as well.

please think before posting and linking stuff like this. 

Anyways.  Been really liking the dev notes lately. There has been a lot of work done to improve the overall core of the game. Performance related works will benefit everyone and is great to see such things getting attention.  I don't understand quite a bit of some of things discussed lol, but it all sounds pretty good. Hopefully some of this is laying groundwork for a bit of an expansion to to the game. :) . Can always hope right..

Edited by Hevak

*Hopeful Voice* In the debug screen... Is that "Set Orbit" tab pretty much hyperedit?

If so, you're pretty much installing HyperEdit and RemoteTech in one fell swoop. (Don't get me wrong: I do like it.)

Edited by specialopsdave

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Please tell me that there will be actual ground stations all around Kerbin (with real meshes and stuff).

2 minutes ago, cfds said:

Please tell me that there will be actual ground stations all around Kerbin (with real meshes and stuff).

there will be actual ground stations all around Kerbin (with real meshes and stuff)

No just kidding. There will be no such thing.

At least, we've not heard of it and I think if it was going to happen, they'd be screaming it from the rooftops.

6 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Bill has been working on the orbital intercept algorithms. The code itself is working, but some details still need to be tweaked. One of the main issues we’re running into is fundamentally the same in the new code as in the old code, but by making better use of the information that is available Bill sees light at the end of the tunnel.

I warned you about the semilatus rectum, @taniwha.

30 minutes ago, cfds said:

I was hoping for the same thing, I even made a thread on it a while back.

Sadly, it doesn't look like that will be the case.  Instead it's just going to be magic communications.  We wouldn't want you to get immersed in the game after all, or make it feel like it could actually made some sense. :rolleyes:

I don't know, maybe its still a possibility but the way those comm lines point straight back at the center of Kerbin, I'm doubting it now.

Edited by Alshain

We meant no offense with the term XBone. It was simply a term used in the making of a poem for the devnotes (which rhymes with a follow on line), and wasn't intended as a slight against someone's choice of gaming console. We certainly appreciate all of our fanbase, and are excited to welcome new kerbonauts into our little corner of the internet. We'll look into the usage, but if you are offended by a term found on these forums, we would appreciate pointing it out without publicly linking to other questionable material in an attempt to make the point.

Cheers,
~Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.