The Rover Race Challenge

hJmNhoy.jpg

THE CHALLENGE
Due to contractual problems with Kerbals Broadcasting Interesting Things TV (Kbit TV), Keremy Klarkson is starting up his own TV-show, and has come to the KSC for a location and some racing rovers. Unfortunately, the rovers provided by KSC's developer going by the ominous name of "Squad" have not even slightly met the requirements of Keremy, and as such he calls upon you to enter your best rover to race around the KSC test-track.

The Challenge is simple: One must complete the test-track, starting from the spawn-point on the runway, up to the finish line at the top of the hill. Best time wins.

Alternatively, you can enter ZE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE, where you must drive your rover from the spawn-point up to the flag called "The ultimate challenge". Best time wins.

SCORING, RULES AND LIMITATIONS

General scoring and rules (applies to all categories)

Scoring is simple: your time (in seconds) is your score. However, total score may be influenced by the following penalties and bonuses:

• Per part lost underway, a 5 second penalty is implied.
  • Per succesful "accidental"  flip (along the vertical axis), a 15 second bonus is implied
  • Per extra kerbal, a 5 second bonus is in place, you can bring a maximum of 6 kerbals.
  • Should you be unable to finish, you can stop at flag number TEN. However, a 240 seconds penalty is in place.

Rules:

• Your rover must be manned.
  • Your rover must have an antenna for radio reception (The Stig requests it).
  • Your rover may only be powered by the rover's wheels, but you may use a maximum of two sepatrons for EXTRA POWERRRR.
  • You are allowed to create extra downforce using downward thrusters of any kind. (yes, this includes the Mainsail).
  • Cheating is not allowed, the settings in the save-file may not be changed. So no unbreakable joints, et cetera.
  • Quicksaves and reloads are allowed, since this implies having to stop and accelerate (costing time), do please mention if you have had to quickload.
  • Should you pop a tire, you may fix this. There is no penalty for this (other than the time lost).
  • Power sources: All power sources (solar, RTG, Fuel cells) are allowed.
  • Only non intrusive Mods allowed (so KIS/KAS are allowed, but no wheel mods)
  • The use of landing gears is allowed.
  • Mod: Take command is allowed, however, the Kerbals must be visibly seated in the command chairs.
  • All command pods are allowed.

Rules for "The Ultimate Challenge"

• General rules and scoring applies, unless overruled by the rules stated below.
  • For the ultimate challenge, per seperaton used, a 5 second penalty is put in place.
  • The usage of sepatrons is unlimited.

Rules for "The Wacky Races" (For racers that do not fit in the general category)

• General rules and scoring applies, unless overruled by the rules stated below.
  • Your rover may NOT be powered by jets or rockets or monopropellant, but may be powered by all other means.
  • Surprise me

THE TRACK

The track: SAVE FILE (place in your saves folder)

The Rover Test Track is a test track where Keremy Klarkson tests the latest in auto-motive design. The track is designed around a local spaceport and features tight bends, jumps and a hill climb. Lastly, completing the ultimate challenge (flag) by rover only grants you instant entry to the wall of fame and admission into the OP.

The track is from start (runway) to FINISH around 14,5 km long.

Track lay-out

wBxYMkK.jpg

46Au2EH.jpg

Run around of the track, please view for your own sake.

Spoiler

START

Link to screenshots of walk-around

ONE - Pass on right

TWO - Pass on right

THREE - Pass on right

FOUR - Pass on right

FIVE - Pass on left

SIX - Pass on left

SEVEN - Pass on left

EIGHT - Pass on right

NINE - Pass on left

TEN - Whatever floats your goat.

Finish - YOU SHALL PASS, or not, of course.

WALL OF FAME

Leaderboard Keremy's Test Track, lowest score wins

1. @quasarrgames with 161 points
  2. @Hesp with 170 points
  3. @ajburges with 173 points
  4. @EpicSpaceTroll139 with 175 points
  5. @quasarrgames with 183 points
  6. @MiniMatt with 186 points
  7. @rocketengineer1982 with 216 points
  8. @Chempwith 221 points
  9. @DoctorDavinci with 242 points
  10. @Heimder with 250 points

Gatecrasher: @EpicSpaceTroll139 with -54 points :confused:

Leaderboard Wacky Racers, lowest score wins.

1. @EpicSpaceTroll139 entering with a rotax powered, eh, landplane? with 194 points

Leaderboard The Ultimate Challenge, lowest score wins

1. @Hesp with 1664 points
  2. @Heimder with 2085 points

In your post, please mention your total time (in seconds), bonusses and penalties. Also, post pictures of passing every flag or post a video as proof :)

Upcoming expansions on Keremy's Test Track (to be included later):

• Downhill fury: After the Finish, race on to the waterline.
  • The semi-ultimate challenge: After the finish of Downhill fury, head back to KSC and jumpjet onto the VAB.
  • The jet-challenge: Only jet-engines allowed, no rover engines.
  • The rocket-challenge: Only rocket engines allowed.
  • Armoured Assault: Race your tank to the finish, taking out targets of opportunity and defensive structures along the way. If interested, please share your battletanks and defensive structures, I'll then make a selection of what will be put in the game.

The ultimate goal of this challenge is to improve your rover building skills (since building a good rover is rather difficult), as well as be able to share your best working rovers with the community.

Edited by Adelaar

Good question! Take Command is allowed. However, the kerbal must be seated and visible in the command chair. Every kerbal increases weight of the vehicle, but only when it is visibly seated in the command chair. Take Command models it as a command pod and thus doesn't account for weight of kerbals :)

I'll update the OP when I'm at my pc.

For the time being I'm allowing two entries at a time (one per category). Should this challenge be popular I'll make subcategories and extra challenges to provide room for more design types :) you can always enter a new vehicle should your old one be beaten.  

Of course, you may elaborate on your request for multiple entries and if the reasoning seems okay I'll change the rules! 

2 hours ago, Adelaar said:

For the time being I'm allowing two entries at a time (one per category). Should this challenge be popular I'll make subcategories and extra challenges to provide room for more design types :) you can always enter a new vehicle should your old one be beaten.  

Of course, you may elaborate on your request for multiple entries and if the reasoning seems okay I'll change the rules! 

I've got a couple rovers/cars to choose from, but I also want to (in true Top Gear style) take out my BDA-equipped tank for a spin on the track.

@ScriptKitt3h, what is the weight of your tank? I'll think about a different race challenges where shooting targets of opportunity grants you bonus points. I'll get back to you once I've come up with something. 

Edit: OP updated, I hope that the upcoming challenge suits your request.

@Moarmau5, you can use landing gears!

Edited by Adelaar

I'd like to submit my entry: I was using a rover powered by 5 RTGs. The design was inspired by @Cupcake...'s beautiful rover featured here.

Imgur album

Start time: 01:40
Finish: 05:26
Time: 3:46 / 226 seconds

I had a lot of fun, thanks for proposing this challenge. For me, it was proof that even in 1.1.3, you can get wheels to work provided you're willing to invest some time in the design and the tweakable settings.

Registered just to attend the challenge! 

Kept the rover as simple as possible, with low CoG.

2 sepratron used for boost on the main straights

Start 0:00 / Finish: 2:50 / 170 seconds

http://imgur.com/a/3BRC2

Flipped over the rover after the finish line fly-by, but I got no damage at all

Notes:

At first I tested it with M1 wheels at the rear too, it was way more manouverable but too slow on the straights.

Now I'm working on a high downforce configuration with active aerodynamics, but I'm not sure about the tradeoff between grip and weight/drag. 

@The Optimist, only rover engines (and two sepatrons) are allowed. If you entend to complete the course by blowing at your screen to move your rover around, please surprise me :wink:

@Hesp, Nicely done, like the way you have your Formula Rover outfitted with two different tyres. I look forward to an improved version!

@qzgy, perhaps, maybe, maybe not... It's classified.

@The_Rocketeer, Still, you should be at P3 atm :P

@Nathaniel411, you mean, offsetting parts on your craft? That's allowed of course

Edited by Adelaar

Okay, I tried with the wings but didn't set a time lower than 3:00, so no leaderboard update on the standard course.

After that attempt, I upgraded the winged rover with lights and fuel cells to reach the ultimate flag.

Everything was going pretty well till when I lost the front wing and the front left corner on a sudden slope :0.0: 4 km from the flag!

In pure Keremy Klarkson style I brought the remainder of the rover to the finish line, on 3 wheels... time 26:59

http://imgur.com/a/zKu7B

8 hours ago, Adelaar said:

@The Optimist, only rover engines (and two sepatrons) are allowed. If you entend to complete the course by blowing at your screen to move your rover around, please surprise me :wink:

@Hesp, Nicely done, like the way you have your Formula Rover outfitted with two different tyres. I look forward to an improved version!

@qzgy, perhaps, maybe, maybe not... It's classified.

@The_Rocketeer, Still, you should be at P3 atm :P

@Nathaniel411, you mean, offsetting parts on your craft? That's allowed of course

I was considering adapting a SAS propeller to move it, but such a craft would only work on Kerbin, Eve, Duna, and Laythe.

4 hours ago, Nathaniel411 said:

I meant offseting parts inside one another, I know it states cheating is not allowed but maybe it counts only for alt f12 cheats?

Some cosmetic clipping is allowed, but your rover should have the room for all the parts it needs, without clipping them. So no 2 solar panels clipped, or RTG's inside eachother, et cetera.

@The Optimist, the current rules and regulations do not allow such an entry... However, since @ScriptKitt3h also wants to try out different vehicle styles, I'll include a freestyle course in the short term where you can go full out in creativity :)

@Hesp, very nice! I'll update the leaderboard and include your entry, minus the points for the parts lost :P

I think I'll give this one a try.  I'm tempted to use my Elcano Circumnavigator just for the laughs.

pf2gD3n.png

But seriously folks, I think I'm going to try a very light vehicle.  The designs so far look great!  I feel this challenge is going to have some pretty stiff competition.

Edited by rocketengineer1982

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.