Is the Claw working? (Xbox)

Had a vessel I was trying to recover touch the center of the (armed) Claw, come to 0 m/s for a few moments, then bounce off. Target vessel had been going less that 1 m/s before contact.

Quick action let me switch vessels (which at the time I couldn't do without going to the KSC no matter how many times I pushed the buttons), EVA Valentina, and get her on the rescue vehicle. Glad to have her back (she'd been up there 7 years - we're calling it a "bone-density study") but still wondering what went wrong with the Claw.

HAHA Bone-Density Study.  Valentinia is my favorite, and its my sons and wifes favorite.  If she gets in trouble they both glare at me and say I cant loose her. 

Jebs funeral just broke their hearts, they cant take another.

Sorry just realized this isn't part of the forum, but you are answering a question and I don't know how to delete.  I liked the bone study thing.  Sorry to mess up your thread.

Edited by Sublight
I screwed up.

Having played the PC version quite a lot, do you mean the claw which is meant to grab onto planets? I never tried it on a craft but it could just be meant to grab onto asteroids (for redirecting purpose) and not onto crafts.

Now to get that thing back from orbit I had a comparable challenge with my first PS4 Mun landing where the rocket tumbled over while Jeb was on on EVA (SAS stopped when exiting command pod) and I was able to grab onto it by using landing gears which scooped the rocket from the surface. After it was about 100m in the air I released the rocket and powered up the engine again, but you might be able to tow it into Kerbin's atmosphere (below 70.000m).

Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to share what I have seen so far with this bug.

Claw Failure - The first time I experienced this bug, it would not let me dock with another spacecraft.  I remembered that when I placed it, it did not "snap" into place.  I had to guide it towards the "center" of the little green bubble when I was building my ship.  

Claw Success - I rebuilt the portion of the ship where the claw is and was thinking about how it did not "snap" when I placed the claw.  I placed a mono tank on the ship, then placed the claw on top of it, and it snapped into place.  I tried to dock with another spacecraft, and BOOM, worked like a champ.

Claw Failure - I made another ship and placed a mono tank on it, but could not get the claw to "snap".  I thought it was weird.  I had placed a battery on top of the mono tank, and everything snapped together fine.  I got to orbit and it would not connect to the ship.

Claw Success - I rebuilt the ship and placed Remote Guidance Unit(POD) directly under the MONO tank, and placed the battery under the RGU , and everything snapped together, and it did dock with the other spacecraft in orbit. (This time it was Claw, Mono tank, RGU, Battery).

I think it has something to do with what is under the claw.  The mono tank works great to fix the problem.  The only time SO FAR that the mono tank did not fix the problem is when a battery was touching the tank.  When I separated the battery from the tank with the RGU, it worked like a champ.  Keep in mind when I made these changes, I did NOT rebuild the entire ship.  Just the portion of the ship that the claw attached to.

I will update this when I find other combinations that either work or dont work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.