[1.12.x] 1869 Steampunk Mod - Back in Black! (and brass)

Fengist

Notice.  This updating became more complicated.

According to patch notes for release 1.2 - 1500

• Parts can now survive down to about 400m under the surface of Kerbin's by default, though this is of course moddable (or you can turn off pressure limits in difficulty options).
  • Nearing G and/or pressure limits causes the camera to shake (if wobble is on) and posts screen messages.
  • Exposions from overtemp/G/pressure are no longer instant but occur after a small random interval.

That means, every single part that's destined to be submerged will need to have the .cfg file updated.  Since my two mods are 2 of the 3 I know that include submersibles, this means a lot of sorting through parts to decide what should explode and what shouldn't and... at what depth.

While working on updating MPUtils to 1.2, I thot I'd play around with some parts.  Here's a preview of what's coming in the next update... aviation.

First will be a new set of MK1 parts, including 2 sizes of fuel tanks with each being a selectable fuel type.  A new stack.  This one will convert LF to Steam.  This'll be handy for aviation as it means you're not going to be packing around a lot of ore.  Just think of the LF as... coal oil.  The steam dome you see on the front of this aircraft, while making it look more like an actual railroad boiler, will act as a radiator. Stacks generate heat and it'll help get rid of that.   Two steam powered prop engines.  These are going to be rather unique.  While on the outside it'll look like they're using the Firespitter plugin to spin the blades, they do not.  Rather than just spinning a part, MPUtils is already capable of playing animations at different speeds, backwards, forwards and reversing the animations.  These props, rather than just spinning parts, are animations.  So... if you actually look inside the cowl, you'll see a spinning crank shaft... and a crank bearing, piston rods and push rods... all moving in unison to the engine's thrust.  The wings, I've mentioned before will be a canvas covered wing.  You'll have 2 sizes, 1 and 2 meter and 3 different 'tips' to place on the ends, square, round and 'Albatross' style.  There will be a cloth covered winglet which can double as rudders and horizontal stabilizers with elevators built-in.

And finally, no steampunk mod could possibly have flying machines without having... a pulse jet engine... with authentic pulse jet engine sounds of course.

a6Hui8b.png

Et6Z3ch.png

FT8YGRP.png

• 2 months later...

Beta 2 Released!

This release of 1869 includes LOTS of new parts all centered around aviation.

• Seamless cloth wings - with your choice of 3 wingtip designs, square, round and Albatross (modeled after the Albatross D.III wingtip design).  There's also a comma-shaped rudder/elevators.
  • Steam Prop Engine - This engine uses a unique idea in spinning parts.  Rather than using the Firespitter plugin, which spins parts, I wrote this one to play animations at varying speeds.  The same module spins the prop and makes the sub fishtail wiggle. The cool part about this is, since it's an animation and not just a spinning part, if you look inside the cowling, you can see the crankshaft spinning and moving the piston rods. Yea, so it's a small detail but I think it's cool.
  • Pulsejet engines - Oh come on.  You can't have steampunk without a pulse-jet.  It even has sounds recorded from original V1 buzz bombs.  Fortunately, this one has a variable throttle (it uses a daisy valve - not that that makes any sense but it sounds good). AND... it runs on kerosene.
  • Aircraft Parts - Several new parts in the 1.25 meter size including fuel tanks and a MK1 inline cockpit and a conical tail.
  • New Steam Engine - With this release you get a new 'Spark Catcher' smoke stack modeled after early western American locomotives.  This stack, unlike the other stacks, burns kerosene to generate steam (Ok, it's liquid fuel by any other name)
  • Steam Bell - The new stack generates a good deal of heat.  And what steam engine wouldn't be complete without a steam bell?  This one, radiates heat.

And, added to the submarine bridge is a new compressor.  This device is designed to pressurize the vessel in order to allow diving without imploding.  In the SPH, set the max depth you plan to dive.  Once you're out on the water, start the pressurizer and keep an eye on it.  You can over pressurize.

P5l3kwe.png

What can steam do?

Walk.  I'm pretty sure I just built KSP's first steam powered walker.  Unfortunately, I don't have time to record a video of this one so I've linked a video of one of my older walkers as proof that it does work. With the exception of the 'elbow' parts (which is the first part I ever made) this is made from stock, 1869 and of course, infernal robotics parts.  Not everything has to fly or submerge.

bvt7kJT.png

15 minutes ago, Aerospacer said:

Fengist, did you think about the stylish suits for kerbals as a add to your steampunk world? :wink:

Mostly, my modding skills center around parts and plugins (except wheels). So far, I haven't even looked into playing Kerbal dressup.

• 5 weeks later...

Just me tinkering around with animated engines.  In the next week, I should get these out in a new parts pack.

If I get time, I also want to rip the animated engine module out of the MPUtils.dll and release it as a separate plugin.  All of the engines, like the fishtail, the prop with the animated crankshaft, and these engines, are controlled by that module.

Edited by Fengist

• 2 months later...

Hey Fengist, I've always loved steampunk mods for any game I play, and was pleasantly surprised to find your mod after kerb-fu took his break. note to say I quickly downloaded the mod especially after seeing the plane parts as I'm keen on making a steampunk SSTO but when I booted it up I only had the submarine parts. thinking that this was probably a problem on my part, (which I still do) I switched from using the 64 bit version of 1.2.2 to the regular version of 1.2.2 yet the new parts were still not present in the game. could you help elucidate the problem here? I'd love to use the parts you've taken the time to make. even if you can't help I appreciate you making the mod in the first place!

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2017 at 5:10 PM, Engineer_256 said:

Hey Fengist, I've always loved steampunk mods for any game I play, and was pleasantly surprised to find your mod after kerb-fu took his break. note to say I quickly downloaded the mod especially after seeing the plane parts as I'm keen on making a steampunk SSTO but when I booted it up I only had the submarine parts. thinking that this was probably a problem on my part, (which I still do) I switched from using the 64 bit version of 1.2.2 to the regular version of 1.2.2 yet the new parts were still not present in the game. could you help elucidate the problem here? I'd love to use the parts you've taken the time to make. even if you can't help I appreciate you making the mod in the first place!

Well, I just saw this post, sorry.

I had plans to eventually create more rocketry type parts.  When this mod was in development, it got a bit of attention.  Once I released it, the stats were saying barely 20 people a day were using it.  So, I just assumed it wasn't all that popular and stopped working on it.  Now, I'm seeing the stats going up a bit this month.  I'll keep a closer eye on it and... perhaps.

And you should have the aircraft parts...

Edited by Fengist

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

no it was a problum with the mod and fengist is alredey on it

On 6/18/2017 at 4:49 AM, Nailed it! said:

Is it normal that i don't have ANY kind of wings or rocket engines of this mod?

Is maybe the Plugindata issue with Macs?

Hopefully I'll get an hour or two tonite to put the pack together and get it uploaded to curse.  And it never has had rocket engine but this one will have wings, prop and the umbrella drive.

Beta 4 released.  This SHOULD include the aircraft parts as well as the Umbrella Drive.

You may notice the Umbrella Drive has a thrust rating of 120.  That's a bit misleading.  If you decide to play with it, you'll notice that it hops a bit on the runway.  The thrust is actually flipping between down.. and up. Thus, the 120 thrust.

Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Im having some trouble with the latest version of the mod, it just seems to keep crashing on game load, the game loads fine without the mod installed, but as soon as it is added to the mod list, it crashes to desktop, this is the same whether I am using a fresh install, or with other mods installed, I have attached a crash log below, has anyone else experienced this? or is it just me?

[Giant log file removed by moderator]

Edited by Kerbal101

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 9:14 PM, DonKalypso said:

I also crash on load. It seems to be something to do with how some of the parts are interacting with something I can't comprehend.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:17 PM, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

same hear

i also have problem the game crash during loading of the game 

i found which part is causing crash MK 1 steampunk 

when loading this the game crash 

Edited by Ninadragonborn

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.