KSP Load Freeze on Loading Asset Bundle Definitions

Just updated my Mac to OS Sierra. Never had issues before, but now KSP freezes upon starting at the "Loading Asset Bundle Definitions". The loading comments keep changing but no matter how long I let it sit, the loading bar never moves past "Loading Asset Bundle Definitions". I know there has been some issues with PC's and other programs or networks, but not much feedback for Mac users present. Please help, not being able to play is killing me!

KSP 1.1.3

Mac OS Sierra

Running 32 bit

Game stays on Loading Asset Bundle Definitions indefinitely while still scrolling through loading comments...

player.log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4no3juavs1r2sxa/Player.log?dl=0

Edited by captspiff

So, I am having an issue with KSP that is making it unplayable. I have a brand new download from the KSP website so there are no mods and it has never been fully opened. It does not crash, but upon opening KSP the program starts to load, and stops loading at "Loading Asset Bundle Definitions". I started another question to try and fix this issue but was asked for the player.log file. After several hours of searching and trying to find help on the internet I have reached the conclusion that the file is not on my computer and therefore KSP is not creating the file when it is opened. I have given as much detail as possible below...

KSP Version: 1.1.3 Clean Install

What Happens: KSP fails to load past "Loading Asset Bundle Definitions"

Mods / Add-Ons: None

Steps to Replicate: Open KSP

Result: Fails to load past "Loading Asset Bundle Definitions"

Fixes/Workarounds: Have found none and KSP is not creating log files anywhere

12 hours ago, captspiff said:

So, I am having an issue with KSP that is making it unplayable.  It does not crash, but upon opening KSP the program starts to load, and stops loading at "Loading Asset Bundle Definitions".

[edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]

I'm not trying to insult you, and ask you to take this in the spirit of wanting to help you. I had the exact same problem with 1.1.2 and began playing around with my system to try to understand why it was hanging up. My game would get to the asset bundle and would appear to stop, just as you described here. I tried to reload the game and I kept program manager (I am running a Windows 10 system) and found out that at that point, the system was using close to 97% of available memory (DRAM, I have 8 gigs), and disc was at 100%.  For some reason, that part of the game loading is very taxing on the memory and hard drive.

So... what I did is then began looking for programs running in the background that I could safely shut down without causing Windows to close. If you are running Windows 10, here are some programs that are running in the background that, with KSP, can create what I experienced. Each of these background programs can be safely closed in program manager: (I've tried to list them as they appear in program manager)

• Outlook (even when you normally close the program, it remains active in the background).
  • Sync for Office 365
  • Dropbox
  • OneDrive
  • Microsoft Office Click to Run
  • Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
  • Anything with the prefix of HP (if you have an HP system) The only one you DO NOT want to stop is "hpdevmgmt.exe"
  • Phone (this runs in background as a default). Windows 10 is made to literally run on PC, Laptop, pad, phone, etc...)
  • Skype (this runs in background as a default)

Depending on your system, there may be more. Now a word about stopping those programs listed above, with the exception of Dropbox, OneDrive, and Outlook, you will have to reboot your system in order for it to behave normally if you are planning to do something other than play KSP on it.

I hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm not trying to insult you, and ask you to take this in the spirit of wanting to help you. I had the exact same problem with 1.1.2 and began playing around with my system to try to understand why it was hanging up. My game would get to the asset bundle and would appear to stop, just as you described here. I tried to reload the game and I kept program manager (I am running a Windows 10 system) and found out that at that point, the system was using close to 97% of available memory (DRAM, I have 8 gigs), and disc was at 100%.  For some reason, that part of the game loading is very taxing on the memory and hard drive.

So... what I did is then began looking for programs running in the background that I could safely shut down without causing Windows to close. If you are running Windows 10, here are some programs that are running in the background that, with KSP, can create what I experienced. Each of these background programs can be safely closed in program manager: (I've tried to list them as they appear in program manager)

• Outlook (even when you normally close the program, it remains active in the background).
  • Sync for Office 365
  • Dropbox
  • OneDrive
  • Microsoft Office Click to Run
  • Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
  • Anything with the prefix of HP (if you have an HP system) The only one you DO NOT want to stop is "hpdevmgmt.exe"
  • Phone (this runs in background as a default). Windows 10 is made to literally run on PC, Laptop, pad, phone, etc...)
  • Skype (this runs in background as a default)

Depending on your system, there may be more. Now a word about stopping those programs listed above, with the exception of Dropbox, OneDrive, and Outlook, you will have to reboot your system in order for it to behave normally if you are planning to do something other than play KSP on it.

I hope this helps.

So I guess I should have included this in the original computer specs. This is a clean install for Mac OS. System was wiped and reinstalled clean. So KSP is essentially the only program running. 

On 8/3/2016 at 5:45 PM, captspiff said:

Just updated my Mac to OS Sierra... KSP 1.1.3... Mac OS Sierra... Running 32 bit

[Edited by adsii1970 for relevant content]

13 minutes ago, captspiff said:

So I guess I should have included this in the original computer specs. This is a clean install for Mac OS. System was wiped and reinstalled clean. So KSP is essentially the only program running. 

You did. I just have not had enough coffee this morning to completely comprehend what I am reading. I am not familiar with Apple's systems since the Apple II GS. But I would be willing to state that if you found the counterpart to Microsoft's program manager and watched it as KSP loads, you'll find you are up against either maxing out the utilization of your memory and/or hard drive utilization. :confused:

Maybe someone with MAC experience can help out... I'm sorry I can't do more.

1 hour ago, sal_vager said:

It's in the library, it may be hidden, so try enabling hidden files and folders.

There will be a log, it's just a matter of locating it.

I have attached the player.log to the original file. Thanks for the help finding it!

2 minutes ago, captspiff said:

I have attached the player.log to the original file. Thanks for the help finding it!

Glad I could help!

Are you running KSP from inside the zip file?  It looks like it wasn't installed.

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/private/var/folders/_v/m4f1qcm11_s0xdf45vf80r_w0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/647F90D7-1E1F-490C-8316-50467B5DA378/d/settings.cfg" is denied.

If it's still zipped you will need to extract it.

3 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Glad I could help!

Are you running KSP from inside the zip file?  It looks like it wasn't installed.

If it's still zipped you will need to extract it.

I used the KSP Installer from the KSP website. It is no longer in a .zip file format. When file is directly downloaded from KSP website it has never been in .zip format. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0vmsatduzggal3/Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 9.24.59 AM.png?dl=0

Okay @captspiff, to me that looks like you have KSP installed in your actual applications list, instead of something like /user/Kerbal Space Program and KSP most likely does not have write access to that location, and for good reason as it's where your links to programs are located.

/var/folders" (or "/private/var/folders") is "per-user temporary files and caches". It is created and managed by Mac OS X, in this case it was likely created because KSP can't write to its current location.

More info here.

I suggest you uninstall KSP, then reinstall it and take care to install it to a writable location, eg /user/Kerbal Space Program

9 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Okay @captspiff, to me that looks like you have KSP installed in your actual applications list, instead of something like /user/Kerbal Space Program and KSP most likely does not have write access to that location, and for good reason as it's where your links to programs are located.

/var/folders" (or "/private/var/folders") is "per-user temporary files and caches". It is created and managed by Mac OS X, in this case it was likely created because KSP can't write to its current location.

More info here.

I suggest you uninstall KSP, then reinstall it and take care to install it to a writable location, eg /user/Kerbal Space Program

This solution worked perfectly! Thank you so much! KSP launched with almost zero lag! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I did not have success using the solution proposed above.

KSP is prevented from running on macOS Sierra by a new security feature in called "app translocation."

The good news is that there is an easy fix:

1. Install KSP normally by dragging the "KSP_osx" folder into your "Applications" folder
  2. Move "KSP.app" from your Applications folder to your desktop by holding down the "command" key and dragging it (If you don't hold down "command" you'll make a shortcut. We want to actually copy the file.)
  3. Move "KSP.app" from your desktop back to the "KSP_osx" folder within the "Applications" folder
Edited by lucaswoj

On 9/16/2016 at 7:46 PM, lucaswoj said:
  1. Install KSP normally by dragging the "KSP_osx" folder into your "Applications" folder
  2. Move "KSP.app" from your Applications folder to your desktop by holding down the "command" key and dragging it (If you don't hold down "command" you'll make a shortcut. We want to actually copy the file.)
  3. Move "KSP.app" from your desktop back to the "KSP_osx" folder within the "Applications" folder

Thank you lucaswoj!  After a clean install of macOS Sierra, the first thing I downloaded was KSP.  My startup was frozen just like everyone else, but your steps solved it!  Hooray!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem With the game, fresh install since a new mac. On load it hangs on Loading Asset Bundle. There is no log file being generated I have looked all over in terminal running ls -al... There is no file or zip. Game will not start and no activity being shown in TOP. 

On 9/16/2016 at 8:46 PM, lucaswoj said:

KSP is prevented from running on macOS Sierra by a new security feature in called "app translocation."

This answer worked for me!

This worked for me instead of the "copy things around" fix:

Once the KSP_osx folder unpacked in my Downloads folder, I ran the following command in a Terminal window:

$ xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/KSP_osx

So replace "~/Downloads/KSP_osx" with the path to your KSP folder and remove the "quarantine" attribute which is causing the hang.

Edited by JnyJny
Text attributes pasted by accident.

• 3 weeks later...

OSX Sierra GateKeeper will quarantine any downloaded app. It randomly moves the files to a temp folder when you run it.
This causes problems for KSP and Unity apps.
By copying the folder permissions are changed and the quarantine removed. and then moving them back again. You can then execute the app.
Same goes for downloaded mods.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2016 at 8:46 AM, lucaswoj said:

t is working thanks

i

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.