(Stock Electric Propeller Vehicle Showcase): Bringing power to the people!

Well just made this after failing for 4 hours with my FW-190 replica attempts...

6uMVHTa.png

Not a replica per say but im pretty sure you all know what its extremely heavily influenced by...  Not too slow either (with 100% stock aero)

I used these circular probes as a bearing (since they are the only part in KSP with a spherical hitbox).  Afterwards i actually started reading on here how you guys make drives, and apparently someone else thought of using those as well before me (so by coincedence i had the same idea cause the only part that worked with high RPM bearings is that).  That said, next model is implementing those hollow fuselages instead of 8 sided tubes made of structural panels cause heavy...

Ofc this was with inf electricity, so ill need to make a model that has enough RTGs to power the whopping 20+ reaction wheels that are inside it...

Apparently 1.2 has a bug with RTGs doing nothing, so until then its infinite electricity cheat :(

Edited by panzer1b

16 hours ago, The Optimist said:

I am not sure whether I should facepalm or laugh a little

1 hour ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

:P Pretty much sums it up.

Newcomers may be annoying. They ask the wrong questions, including ones that seem obvious (or whose answers seem easy to find). But lots of valued contributors started out this way, and treating newcomers kindly makes them more likely to turn into the valuable community members we all know and love (and cut some slack when they mess up).

So while you don't have to humour them or suffer them gladly, and it's fine to point out when they make mistakes, point newcomers in the right direction in addition to turning them away from the wrong ones, and be kind to them in the process of correcting their transgressions.

36 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

Newcomers may be annoying. They ask the wrong questions, including ones that seem obvious (or whose answers seem easy to find). But lots of valued contributors started out this way, and treating newcomers kindly makes them more likely to turn into the valuable community members we all know and love (and cut some slack when they mess up).

So while you don't have to humour them or suffer them gladly, and it's fine to point out when they make mistakes, point newcomers in the right direction in addition to turning them away from the wrong ones, and be kind to them in the process of correcting their transgressions.

Herein lies the danger of communicating solely through written words.

I was assuming that Optimist was chuckling at your post because HE made a Wright Flier prior to mine and I copied much of his engine design to make mine fly. Me getting accolades for a craft based on his design, and in a thread that HE started. That would certainly make me laugh.

No ill was aimed at you on my part and your not annoying.

I am glad you like my craft! Now go fly it!

4 minutes ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

Herein lies the danger of communicating solely through written words.

I was assuming that Optimist was chuckling at your post because HE made a Wright Flier prior to mine and I copied much of his engine design to make mine fly. Me getting accolades for a craft based on his design, and in a thread that HE started. That would certainly make me laugh.

No ill was aimed at you on my part and your not annoying.

I am glad you like my craft! Now go fly it!

ok sorry for the misunderstanding! and I will fly it!

I tryed creating a few engines myself with some sucess, my most powerfull engnine (60 parts, 6 tons) is able to lift aditional 2 tons, verticaly.

Early prototypes:

And the most successfull one, on c-130 replica (39 tons), trouble is, no matter what i do im unable to get it in the air. The highest speed i achieved was +-45m/s at the end of the runway, any ideas how to improve that?

21 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Only electric? I sexually identify as a stock gas turbine turboprop and i find this offensive.

Ugh.. It's an electric prop thread.. And as you have chided those who have posted electric props in the turbo prop thread I thought you would know better. 

On 9/23/2016 at 7:37 PM, vitekc45c said:
Spoiler

I tryed creating a few engines myself with some sucess, my most powerfull engnine (60 parts, 6 tons) is able to lift aditional 2 tons, verticaly.

Early prototypes:

And the most successfull one, on c-130 replica (39 tons), trouble is, no matter what i do im unable to get it in the air. The highest speed i achieved was +-45m/s at the end of the runway, any ideas how to improve that?

Learn to use variable propeller pitch. There is a reason why every good prop plane and many helicopters use control surfaces. You can deploy them and control their authority limiter to change the propeller pitch. When the propellers are closer to being perpendicular to the airflow (but not entirely perpendicular) they are better at lower speeds, and for high speeds it's better to make them closer to parallel to airflow (but again not entirely parallel). AFAIK the best way to do variable pitch is to set the propeller blades so that if you deploy them with authority limiter at +150, they are parallel to airflow. This way, if you are using elevon control surfaces (they have good max deflection angle while their shape is reasonable for propellers), auth. limit. should be somewhere between -150 and -50 with the elevons deployed (I'll check that later to be sure) for take off, and put it higher values when you can't go faster. Note however that setting it too high will make the prop stop creating thrust. With authority limiter at +150, the props are feathered. This means that they are parallel to the airflow, this means no thrust but can help lower drag in case of engine failure. If an engine break but the prop is still intact, feather the one that failed and if its reaction wheels are still intact, you should also reset trim on the props so that they don't rotate.

Edited by TheDestroyer111

So, after a lot of trial-and-error and much mucking around, I believe I've come up with one of the smoothest bearing setups possible with the tried-and-true Stayputnik along with 650 I-beams. At least on my machine, it is exceptionally smooth spinning and fast!  While also being fairly compact.

yvWwRSJ.png

Y21koNS.png

jWAFqlg.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ismrasz1vll9ic/Electric Prop Motor.craft?dl=0

As you can probably tell in the images, the Stayputnik head gets cupped by the octogon edge created by the 650 I-beams and it pretty much just locks in there. It does seem to work with 6 or even 4 I-beams, but it isn't as smooth. You can see the shaft/engine assembly in the back.  There's 8 RTGs in there for power with the axle being the 1.25m fairing mount, there's also the 1.25 reaction wheel in there because the fair base doesn't play nice with the structural fuselage. It seems to easily hit the RPM limit with very little bucking of the housing and/or shaft. I tried using other parts in place of the 650 I-beams, like octostruts, but they don't provide nearly the same smoothness. I used a docking port Jr. to decouple the engine which is on action group 1. Built in 1.2, btw.  Makes quite a bit of use of auto-struts.

skCxXGg.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ao9h1kutig41tw/Tornado Mk1.craft?dl=0

Here's an example plane I've called the.. Tornado for.. reasons.

How to fly:
Enable brakes.
Press 1 for action group one to separate the engine from the plane.

Turn on SAS.
Press bracket key to switch to the engine.
Press Alt+Q to trim engine to max speed.
Switch back to plane and shut off brakes.
Take off and fly!

Finaly got my C-130 to fly, all it took was a slight adjustment to the bearings and diferent evelons for props (strutted to the rotor to further reduce wobble)

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve8qvano3ri35a0/C 130 Hercules Mk 1.craft?dl=0

Edit: [TAG]@Gman_builder[/TAG] + 4 separators

HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORK ARRRRGHHH!!!!

Edited by vitekc45c

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.