Ray & Ray HS flying wing

The Kerbin sightseeing and pigeon feeding society contacted Farnsworth Rocket Surgery a while back.  They asked us to design a craft suitable for visiting points of interest, or points that have no interest at all! 

They never did pay for the design work so we are releasing it to the public (lucky you)!

The images are from the brochure that we had. It has some landmarks in it, so some may consider it a spoiler.

Introducing the Ray long range flying wing.

ojXbSMj.png

iYe0WcB.png

The Ray will rotate off the runway fully fueled at around 65 m/s. Cruising altitude is 8km @ 250 m/s

The aircraft flies wonderfully! You will experience some wandering when you start the take off roll, but it will center back up without any input.

The craft is a swept wing design and as such it does suffer from yaw-roll coupling at high speeds. However, I have not experienced any issues with yaw-roll coupling at landing speeds.

Spoiler

4CLaIwH.png

First stop is the desert temple.

The conveniently located boarding ladders allow sightseers access to the ground and other hard things to fall onto.

qcyDbWQ.png

The ruins of a strange ancient race of Kerbals that worshiped Jeb with jellybeans stuck on his hat.

AnKvPU5.png

Off to other sights!

OB7LWBX.png

We headed north towards a mountain range were we knew there was some clean bathrooms.

cR1ezP1.png

Hurry! I need to pee!

ssSriXI.png

Where is everyone...

ISrcikz.png

It was decided to head even farther north. It is getting colder but the aurora borealis is amazing!

dO1ya9V.png

Someone lost a frisbee.

eJrkD46.png

Sunrise from the north pole is amazing!

9iaI6HV.png

Heading back south. Actually, every direction was south there for a minute.

hptqPMx.png

You want to land where Valentina?! I don't care if you think it would be a good place for a secret base.

22XYdaQ.png

This is such a bad idea.

XtHrBZS.png

So, why is this here?

hS0GrrQ.png

Set the throttle to 11!.

Home never looked so good. I need to pee again.

The aircraft will fly with SAS without any issue, but I recommend using Atmospheric Auto Pilot for any aircraft. It just makes life so much better.

xrGjg1o.png

Maybe you don't like flying slow. Don't worry! We have a solution!

Introducing the Ray HS flying wing.

cmlZ0zK.png

Cruising altitude is 19km @ 900 m/s 

8i96Ohi.png

The Ray HS comes equipped with drop tanks. 

SWnpNiP.png

The fuel in the drop tanks is used first and gives the Ray HS the ability to reach it's cruising altitude without burning any of the fuel in the aircraft. 

I hope you enjoy them as much I enjoyed making them!

Ray: https://kerbalx.com/Dr_Farnsworth/Ray

Ray HS: https://kerbalx.com/Dr_Farnsworth/Ray-HS

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.