My Exoplanet Discoveries [Formerly "KIC 7848638 - My First Solar System"]

ProtoJeb21

Questions about this system  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Your Favorite Object in the System?

• Chantico (KIC 7848638 b)
    • Montu (KIC 7848638 c)
    • Sethlans (KIC 7848638 d)
    • Kupole (KIC 7848638 e)
    • Indra (KIC 7848638 f)
    • Vajra (KIC 7848638 f-1)
    • Koyash (KIC 7848638)
  2. 2. What Should Be The New Name for Indra?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Any luck?

Not yet. I just got back from seeing Ghostbusters, and there's no time tonight. I'll try tomorrow, and I'll also make sure Universe Sandbox 2 is working to do some more sims.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

Yesterday I found something startling.

Looking at the error of Indra, I was wondering if it could be caused by a moon. I did the math and found out the maximum mass of a moon that would be formed from a collision, like our Moon, would be about 0.026 Earth masses. I paired that maximum mass with the error for Indra (0.32 Earth radii) and got an object with a density of 4.4 grams/cm3.

In other words, I proved mathematically that Indra is likely to have a moon, and what caused such a large error is actually a satellite. Eat it, HEK!

(Please note that this moon's radius and mass values are possible to be slightly smaller in real life. There may also be the possibility of this moon being like the tiny, habitable desert worlds in Space Engine. Great food for thought right there.)

I've decided to name this possible moon Vajra, after the weapon of the god Indra. Here's a modified Space Engine planet that may look like this moon...if it exists:

bqp3wch.jpg

8 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

ProtoJeb, congrats. Have you talked to any scientists about this? This is some seriously good information.

I've created a thread about my findings on the Planet Hunters talk page, but no one has commented on it yet. I'm going to try to E-Mail somebody about this stuff.

11 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I've created a thread about my findings on the Planet Hunters talk page, but no one has commented on it yet. I'm going to try to E-Mail somebody about this stuff.

What's the spectral class of this star? Approximate temperature? Trying to simulate it in Space Engine.

Edited by _Augustus_

24 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

I found some info on here: http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=%407961481&Name=KIC 7848638&submit=submit

It may be a variable star, dude...

The light curve of the star has long-period waves that don't match up with any of the planet transits. All of the transit events, even for Indra, are rather difficult to pull out of the data. If one of the transits is a result of a brief dipping from stellar activity on one part of the star as it rotates, then I'll need to know the rotation period of the star. That's apparently not possible with the limited data this star has.

2 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

What's the spectral class of this star? Approximate temperature? Trying to simulate it in Space Engine.

Planet Hunters give the Spectral Type Group of the star and its temperature in Kelvins. KIC 7848638/Koyash is a K-Type star with a temperature of about 5200 K (if I can remember correctly). I'm assuming it has a spectral type between K4 and K0 because of its temperature and large radius (0.83 solar radii).

8 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

The light curve of the star has long-period waves that don't match up with any of the planet transits. All of the transit events, even for Indra, are rather difficult to pull out of the data. If one of the transits is a result of a brief dipping from stellar activity on one part of the star as it rotates, then I'll need to know the rotation period of the star. That's apparently not possible with the limited data this star has.

Planet Hunters give the Spectral Type Group of the star and its temperature in Kelvins. KIC 7848638/Koyash is a K-Type star with a temperature of about 5200 K (if I can remember correctly). I'm assuming it has a spectral type between K4 and K0 because of its temperature and large radius (0.83 solar radii).

In order for your data to match up, this star has to be K4.

Simulated it in Space Engine and the planet "e" either turns into a big Venus or big Mars. Not hospitable to life either way.

Planet "f" is habitable in some simulations in SE, and in others it turns into a big Venus. Usually it's habitable though.

Edited by _Augustus_

1 minute ago, _Augustus_ said:

In order for your data to match up, this star has to be dimmer than K4.

Well, here's how I got the radius values for my planets:

1. Note the top and bottom of the light curve where the transit is present. The top of the transit will be the same as the top of the main light curve. The main light curve is where the Data Dots are most together, i.e making a line, thick or thin. This does not include stellar noise on the top of the curve.
  2. Subtract the value of the Bottom from the value of the Top. (Example: 1.0001 - 0.9985)
  3. The value you get from Step 2 has one extra 0. When you remove that 0, you get the percentage size of the planet compared to its star.
  4. Multiply this percentage size by the result of 109 times the radius of the star in solar radii (109 is our Sun's size in Earth radii).
  5. Huzzah! The approximate size of the planet is given. There most likely will be an error range caused by glitches, image noise, or stellar activity.
  6. If you have multiple similar transits, gather the percentage values of each and find the average. Then do Steps 4 and 5 on this new value.

What was the method you used the calculate the planets' radii?

11 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Simulated it in Space Engine and the planet "e" either turns into a big Venus or big Mars. Not hospitable to life either way.

Planet "f" is habitable in some simulations in SE, and in others it turns into a big Venus. Usually it's habitable though.

How are you simulating the planets in Space Engine? In my US2 simulations, both planets are in the habitable zone, but mark the inner and outer boundaries like Earth and Mars, or Tau Ceti e and Tau Ceti f, or Kepler-62e and Kepler-62f.

16 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Well, here's how I got the radius values for my planets:

1. Note the top and bottom of the light curve where the transit is present. The top of the transit will be the same as the top of the main light curve. The main light curve is where the Data Dots are most together, i.e making a line, thick or thin. This does not include stellar noise on the top of the curve.
  2. Subtract the value of the Bottom from the value of the Top. (Example: 1.0001 - 0.9985)
  3. The value you get from Step 2 has one extra 0. When you remove that 0, you get the percentage size of the planet compared to its star.
  4. Multiply this percentage size by the result of 109 times the radius of the star in solar radii (109 is our Sun's size in Earth radii).
  5. Huzzah! The approximate size of the planet is given. There most likely will be an error range caused by glitches, image noise, or stellar activity.
  6. If you have multiple similar transits, gather the percentage values of each and find the average. Then do Steps 4 and 5 on this new value.

What was the method you used the calculate the planets' radii?

How are you simulating the planets in Space Engine? In my US2 simulations, both planets are in the habitable zone, but mark the inner and outer boundaries like Earth and Mars, or Tau Ceti e and Tau Ceti f, or Kepler-62e and Kepler-62f.

I used the radii you provided. In SE I type in their orbital periods and the radius of the star.

How far from Indra would Vajra be?

Edited by _Augustus_

3 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

I used the radii you provided. In SE I type in their orbital periods and the radius of the star.

How far from Indra would Vajra be?

Since I only have two transits of Indra (which is why it is still a candidate), I cannot identify Vajra's orbital period and therefore cannot calculate its semi-major axis.

3 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Kupole has an ESI of 0.713.

Indra has an ESI of 0.693.

:(

So? Kepler-62f has an ESI of 0.67, yet it may be one of the few planets known to have life. An ESI of 0.713 for Kupole isn't that bad. Also, I didn't expect a rather high ESI for Indra, since I believe it's H/He atmosphere would be too thick for life (5% H/He, 95% rocks and iron). Did you make it a Mega-Earth in Space Engine?

25 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Since I only have two transits of Indra (which is why it is still a candidate), I cannot identify Vajra's orbital period and therefore cannot calculate its semi-major axis.

So? Kepler-62f has an ESI of 0.67, yet it may be one of the few planets known to have life. An ESI of 0.713 for Kupole isn't that bad. Also, I didn't expect a rather high ESI for Indra, since I believe it's H/He atmosphere would be too thick for life (5% H/He, 95% rocks and iron). Did you make it a Mega-Earth in Space Engine?

I copied all of your data in. In all simulations, Indra has little to no hydrogen and is a Mega-Earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey...what's that purple thing?

*Looks up at the title of the thread*

Wooohoooo! Thread of the month! I really hope I get these planets confirmed this month.

Also, Wooohoooo! 700 posts!

Also, Woohooo! I'm going to get hit by Hurricane Hermine!

Wait a second...

Edited by ProtoJeb21

58 minutes ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

I'm amazed by this!!! You  DISCOVERED A SOLAR SYSTEM !!!:cool:

It's still unconfirmed, but the different transits were easily predictable and not hard to find once you discover the orbital period of the planet. Also, the planets are not as dubious as those around IPH-2. It may be a system of 6 close-in terrestrials, or a few near-HZ planets, or maybe a wide system of 3 planets! So confusing!

Anyways, thanks!

3 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Hey...what's that purple thing?

*Looks up at the title of the thread*

Wooohoooo! Thread of the month! I really hope I get these planets confirmed this month.

Also, Wooohoooo! 700 posts!

Wait a second...

Don't worry, nearly everyone on the East Cost will be hit by Hermine. MAYBE it'll result in a massive power outage in NYC, then depart before the power comes back on so I CAN HAVE DARK SKIES!!!

3 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Don't worry, nearly everyone on the East Cost will be hit by Hermine. MAYBE it'll result in a massive power outage in NYC, then depart before the power comes back on so I CAN HAVE DARK SKIES!!!

Same here! Since I'm in a pretty packed part of the East Coast, not every observation site can reveal stars below mag 4. I really want to take advantage of a power outage to do some excellent summer stargazing.

Speaking of summer stars, I found an online star chart including all four of my IPH systems, including Koyash. I typed in their KIC designations and there they were! Koyash and IPH-2 are single stars, IPH-3 has a red dwarf companion, and IPH-4 maybe be the primary member of a wide K-dwarf binary.

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Same here! Since I'm in a pretty packed part of the East Coast, not every observation site can reveal stars below mag 4. I really want to take advantage of a power outage to do some excellent summer stargazing.

Speaking of summer stars, I found an online star chart including all four of my IPH systems, including Koyash. I typed in their KIC designations and there they were! Koyash and IPH-2 are single stars, IPH-3 has a red dwarf companion, and IPH-4 maybe be the primary member of a wide K-dwarf binary.

Hmm. I'll have to try plugging Koyash into my NexStar 4SE's GoTo computer...

Just now, ProtoJeb21 said:

KIC 7848638 and other KIC designations worked. I forgot what site I used, so I'll let you know when I find it. I'll probably put the link to it in the OP.

I don't think that a computer system designed between 2007-2009 is going to have Kepler designations. I'd say the best bet would be plugging my PC into the hand controller and programming it in with the RA and DEC coordinates...

10 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

KIC 7848638 and other KIC designations worked. I forgot what site I used, so I'll let you know when I find it. I'll probably put the link to it in the OP.

How far away is the system?

14 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Wait a second...

I'm getting rain right now.

In fact my family had to "Evacuate" Florida on our RV a couple days ago in pouring rain, I was completely soaked helping get the RV hooked up to the car..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.