Has anybody made a working Kraken Drive in the current version?

JacobJHC

Just now, JacobJHC said:

Danny I'm talking to you.

Everyone assumes he knows things like this but he is more of a screw things up kind of guy rather than a create something useful guy. :D

When the Unity 5 pre release dropped one of the first things I noticed, and made the bug report for, was the fact that clipped wheels created massive phantom forces. As a result of my report this got removed and now I don't think you can make one that way. I seem to remember someone making a KD recently but I forgot who and how.

52 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I seem to remember someone making a KD recently but I forgot who and how

Thanks. If you remember and could tell me I would be very happy.

who needs a krakken drive when you can simply build a rocket-powered centrifuge and sling kerbals to distant objects?
EVA propellent makes excellent course-corrections

Edited by Xyphos

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2016 at 0:49 AM, Sharpy said:

Well, I made something that provided infinite rotary acceleration - free spin power. Not too useful (and I didn't save it.)

If you can provide infinite spin, then you can attach angled winglets and have an infinite rotor.

I have found structural plated to be useful in generating phantom forces... the problem is that i cannot determine where the force is pushing, which means i cannot control it.

I sent up my first asteroid miner with landing legs on it to see if I could turn an asteroid into a kraken drive.  The grabber would keep the legs forced into the rock...

*KABOOM*

No more legs. 

Edited by Corona688

Sofar none of my designs work (made one with wheels back in the beta 1.1 but thats not the current version and doesnt count).  It appears that the common place landing leg ones are also completely dead because back when you could use the legs to push a few parts and it created the wobbling which pushed you around, now legs dont do that.  Personally i dont mind as kraken drives (and infiniglide) was so broken that there was no challenge if all you needed to push a 200t capital ship was this puny little setup in the rear (and some RCS for docking as you cant quite dock accurately with a krakendrive).

That said, i do believe ladder drives still work, as i have experienced alot of phantom forces from kerbals and ladders in general (not to mention plenty of EVA bugs that turn kerbals into spagetti and then end up with broken space-time or weird things like FTL drive velocity).  Might be worth looking into kerbals as the new kraken drive since they seem to still have plenty of bugs associated with em (and if all else fails use the infinite propellant jetpacks to save your ships that are outta fuel).

30 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Sofar none of my designs work (made one with wheels back in the beta 1.1 but thats not the current version and doesnt count).  It appears that the common place landing leg ones are also completely dead because back when you could use the legs to push a few parts and it created the wobbling which pushed you around, now legs dont do that.  Personally i dont mind as kraken drives (and infiniglide) was so broken that there was no challenge if all you needed to push a 200t capital ship was this puny little setup in the rear (and some RCS for docking as you cant quite dock accurately with a krakendrive).

Well because K-drives were very intentional and complex at the later stages of development that unless you chose to they would almost never occur naturally, so if you complain about it being "too easy" or "not fun" why keep using them? most of the appeal for the community is for creating FTL drives to show that we can, and move great distances in short periods of time.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.