Journal of Jebediah Kerman. (Missions as told by a Kerbal.)

Kerbinchaser

"Tip #1: Work super hard."

Elon Musk's Secrets To Success

January 15th:

After missing Bill by a few seconds yesterday, I hopped in a K-4 Grasshopper 2 seater monoplane, and took off after clearance from ATC. Turning East, I headed towards the Old KSC, the abandoned project that the government started, until they found a better place for the complex. After 4 hours, I began my approach to the Old building.

As my wheels touched the ground, I looked to my right and saw Bill standing there, smiling as bright a smile as he could muster. I got out of the aircraft and took a breath. The fresh mountain air almost had a taste. Bill looked at me and said "Jeb! Hello! Sorry you couldn't catch me. I had to go away on urgent business, to help these... Guys."

Following his arm motions, I looked at the Old KSC and saw lots of Kerbals working on the VAB. Drills, hammers, saws, it was all there. A government car was parked nearby. I asked Bill why. "Jeb, I signed a form. I cannot speak about anything that happens here."

I nodded and looked up casually. Coming towards us at an alarming rate was a large black speck. I pointed to it and Bill pulled out his binoculars. "Fighter Jets," he said. I asked him if they were ours. "Not sure yet Jeb. I can just make out the shape. 

five minutes later, each fighter broke off and slowly got into a single file formation to land. At this point, Bill sighed with relief. "They're ours, thank the Kraken." High above, I could make out another military aircraft, one of those mobile radar stations. 

After the jets landed, a huge military transport came over and dropped troops and vehicles. Also in this drop were pieces to make a runway. 

Sheesh. The military is in it now? 

~Jeb

AUTORS NOTE:

Well? What is the military here for? :cool:

I hope I made you curious. Mwa ha ha

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

@Lo Var Lachland: Glad to see you're back into writing again. Keep it up... :D And simply tell the story the way you see it happening in your head. On one of your previous posts, I read you stated you didn't want to post pictures. Then don't! Again, let this be your story and tell it the way your mind's eye is showing it to you - and your results will turn out good each time.

Just now, adsii1970 said:

@Lo Var Lachland: Glad to see you're back into writing again. Keep it up... :D And simply tell the story the way you see it happening in your head. On one of your previous posts, I read you stated you didn't want to post pictures. Then don't! Again, let this be your story and tell it the way your mind's eye is showing it to you - and your results will turn out good each time.

:D

6 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Opps... out of likes for today, but definitely curious... :wink:

Thanks lol

10 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

Finally!

He he

• 1 month later...

Moaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2017 at 2:41 PM, Laythe Squid said:

Moaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

On it's way!

"Science is about knowing. Engineering is about doing."

-Henry Petroski

January 17th.

I am currently writing this entry in a pup tent while sheets of freezing water are falling from the sky. 

I finally got an answer to why the military is here. At least, I got the 'declassified' stuff. Apparently, the United Kerbal States, (That's us) found out that North Kerbinland is attempting a nuclear missile test tomorrow, and they want to be here to watch it. I don't think I want to be here. I'm leaving in about 3 hours to head back to the KSC, and I'm taking Bill with me. We'll fly in formation together. 

Instead of starting a new journal entry though, I'll stop it here and leave the rest of the page for when I leave. 

-------------------------------------------FOR JOURNAL ENTRY CONTINUATION, JANUARY 17TH, 2017----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I told you I would. I'm now writing this about 10 hours after I left the temporary military base. I am sitting on my cot listening to the "wonderful" sound of my friends snoring. I'll give you a recap. 

After leaving the base, Bill and I flew in formation for about 4 and a half hours until we reached the KSC. During our flight, I told Bill about what Wherner and his chief scientist, Dave Kerman, and asked him what he thought they were doing.

Bill paused over the radio for a moment, and then started, "I have no idea Jeb. With Wherner and Dave, you never know what they'll do next." 

"Yeah, but why were they so desperate? They looked like they were straight out of a film set."

Bill laughed. "He he, they might be plotting to shoot you into Kerbol! HA HA HA HA HA!!" 

"Very funny Bill. Very funny. Ha ha."

We did that for about 3 hours, until we landed and decided to go and play some ping-pong with Tomford. 

Bill opened the conversation. "Hey Tomford! Still trying to pull off that pool trickshot?"

Tomford nodded, but kept his eyes on the pool cue. A cigar butt hung out of his mouth. Slowly, he drew the cue back, and fired it forward. 

Bang! The pool balls shot in all directions, and Tomford grumbled, "Darn it! I've been working on this one for six days! When will I get it right?"

I shrugged and reassured him. "Look, you'll eventually get your trickshot done right, but we came here to challenge you... And Val, to a game."

He grinned widely. "You're on!"

After persuading Valentina to join us, we played a 2 on 2 pool game. It was Bill and me versus Tomford and Valentina. (I won't tell you who won. You'll have to guess)

When we finished the game of Billiards, we all went to the mess hall to share a Kodka and read the Comics in the new issue of "The Explosions Gazette." 

Well, there was my day, I'm still recovering from a serious hangover. That Kodka was strong! 

~Jeb

"Jeb, I really don't think you're supposed to press tha..... AAAAUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

-Bill Kerman

January 21st.

Not very much happened today. I finally figured out why Gene and Linus were frantically searching for papers. Apparently, an E class asteroid, (the GIGANTIC kind) is going to fly by Kerbin in just 4 weeks. We probably won't get affected by it, just some debris and a little bit of communication problems, but Gene says that we 'might' just be able to capture it with a spacecraft and put it in an orbit. This would open up incredible possibilities, like having a mining station. We could simply move a few of these asteroids into orbits around Kerbin, Duna, and Eve, and have 3 refueling stations. 

I don't know about the idea though. It sounds far-fetched. 

~Jeb

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

@Vanamonde, @Dman979

Can you guys lock this for a bit? I'm going on vacation.

Also lock my KSC air and car show pls. :D 

We don't normally lock threads temporarily, unless it's to clean up a thread, to calm tempers, or to decide how to moderate it.

Also, the best way to get our attention is through the "Report post" button at the top of each post. That way, you'll get the attention of all the moderators, in case the ones you ping aren't on.

1 minute ago, Dman979 said:

We don't normally lock threads temporarily, unless it's to clean up a thread, to calm tempers, or to decide how to moderate it.

Also, the best way to get our attention is through the "Report post" button at the top of each post. That way, you'll get the attention of all the moderators, in case the ones you ping aren't on.

Huh. Well, okay then.

And sorry for the ping. :sealed:

Just now, Lo Var Lachland said:

Huh. Well, okay then.

Look at it this way- by leaving it unlocked, you're letting other people who like it post in your thread, bringing it to the top of the page, and letting more people see it! Locked threads tend to sink pretty quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

"Jeb, press the button. NO! Not that button! The othe..... Dangit. Flight, lock the doors. Jeb's done it again."

~Gene Kerman

August 14th:

A new mission has been planned. The KSC will now send a rover to Duna within the next 2 years.

Not much else happened. I'm on vacation south of the KSC

~Jeb

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

March 29th:

I have not written in my journal in a long time, and there's a good reason for that. Here's what happened:

I remembered watching the TV, viewing the mission to the E class asteroid, and my journal was next to me. For some reason, during the program, someone walked off with my journal. After realizing it was missing, (I had some pretty important notes written in it) I called every building at the KSC to try and locate it, I posted on the KSC's website that I was missing a journal, but no one  responded, so I gave up on it, and went on with my life. (more on that later) 

SIX MONTHS LATER: I got a phone call from a junior aircraft mechanic, who said he had found a small leather book with my name on it. When I went to retrieve it, I discovered that someone had ripped out certain pages from it, like the mission reports. I also noticed that there were paperclips and staples missing, which held photos of myself, spacecraft, the KSC, etc. 

It is incredibly annoying when you find that someone stole your journal just to take pages out of it, but I suspect it has something to do with the military being here last year.

By the way, quick update on the military base: It's actually HUGE. The Army Corps of Engineers actually graded and BUILT a runway in less than 2 months! It's long enough for four engined military transports to land at, but it's closed to all members of the KSC except the Chief Of Staff of the United Kerbal States Air Force, who supervises the space program. Besides that, I have noticed that there are more pilots and sailors around the KSC. I see them everywhere. Bars, walking around, the administration building... Even Mission Control! Gene recently hired a young Lieutenant to be the new FIDO. 

I don't hate them being here, I just don't like all the secrecy. And the sound of fighter aircraft every day doesn't help either. On TOP of that, we have been ordered to halt all further space missions until further notice! We are relying on ground probes and short range rockets to test new engine designs, but we can't go over 5,000 Meters vertically. 

Now, my life? It's been okay. Most of my time was spent looking for this stupid journal, but now that I have it, I should be able to write more often. I need to replace my photographs, and maybe I'll include my most recent portrait next time I write. 

Also: Valentina re-enlisted in the Air Force four months ago. She said she was sick of not doing anything anymore. One day we just woke up, and there was a note from her, but other than that, no trace. Apparently she's going to be deployed to the Old Island Airfield as an Air Traffic Controller. (The UKS Air Force is rebuilding the Island to be a Joint military Base)

I'll miss her, but I know she has her own decisions to make. However, I was surprised that she made the conclusion to go, especially after the "incident." With all her experience now, she needs to be an officer. 
I'll include her letter here. Until next time, Jeb... Signing off.

Spoiler

November 16th, 2017

Jeb, Bob, Bill, Gene, and everyone at the KSC

I am done sitting around, waiting for a mission. You know we won't get one for a long time, and now that the military is here? Forget about it. I have made the decision to re-enlist in the Air Force, and try to seek out another way of life. I will mis you, but we need to focus on what is important, and currently, I believe that is the state of our nation.

We may not know what is happening, but we need to support our country and it's military until the end. I remember the good times we had in the Air Force, and it is time for me to put the past behind me and carry on. When I arrive, I will join the Officer Candidate program, and I'll try and become a Lieutenant. Maybe I can get a desk job. I don't want to fly fighters anymore, they scare me. Rockets are okay, because it's something new, something I've never had trauma in, but jets won't sit well with me for the rest of my life. 

Bill, I know you'll miss me a lot. We used to play pool and joke in the Astronaut Complex every Friday, and losing that R&R will pain me very much, but I promise you this: When I am on leave, we will play pool EVERY day, okay?

Bob: Please don't be scared of rockets anymore. You're a scientist. In the future you will be the first candidate to go into space! Besides that, you graduated with a top degree from Karvard. Just remember me every time you do a G-Test or a rocket sled.

Gene: Thanks for all the memories and the invitation to join the Test Pilot's group. I'll miss you too, and all the fun flights you directed for. 

And finally: Jebediah. I will miss you the most. Of all the people in the KSC, we were the closest. You were my wingman in the Air Force when I needed you, you were my friend, when my co-pilot died, you were my supporter when I was in the hospital, recovering from the crash, and I was the first one you greeted when you came to the KSC. Now, you may have been a higher rank than me in the Air Force, "captain," but you will always be my closest friend and advisor, no matter what happens. 

I miss you all so much! I can't wait till I go on shore leave already. 

-Lt. Valentina Kerman, KSAF

-Jeb

• 5 months later...

September 3rd:

Oh my Kraken it has been a long time.

Seven months, to be exact. Now, before you start yelling at me, There are a few reasons why it's been so long. 

First, Valentina leaving hit hard. I didn't think I'd be THAT affected, but with her gone it's just not the same. I spent half a month just doing nothing, wishing she was still here. I know she's not DEAD, but it bothers me. Even though I have my good friend Bill, knowing that she's on a military base somewhere right now getting ready to fly a dangerous mission doesn't make me feel good, especially because if she has another accident I don't know how it will affect her. She had minor PTSD for a year after the incident, but she passed the UKSAF Physical, which means she's mentally fit enough. The military keeps coming back to me offering me a promotion if I leave the KSC, but that doesn't make any sense. Two years ago, they recruited me for spaceflight, and now they want me out? 

Many of you may not have known this, but I'm 'technically' still in the military. The KSC is a Government funded complex, and because I was recruited by the UKSAF, it means that I still hold my current position of Colonel, which ALSO means I out-rank Valentina, but because she's in active duty now, it means she'll probably work her way up the rank system pretty quickly. She's a tough Kerbal, and she follows orders well. I think she'll at LEAST make Major. 

Second, the military requested in early April that I don't write in my journal. Of course, I protested against this, but they said I could accidentally reveal Secrets that couldn't be put in writing. Greatly annoyed by this, I didn't have much else to do. I did some drawing, but that was really all my recreation, besides TV. Speaking of TV, we were given clearance in May to launch a mission to Eve. It will be a probe that will land and then slowly get crushed by the pressure. At least we'll get some good data from it before it dies. Plus, it will be the first EVE mission to be broadcast live on TV! 

We have a lot of new astronaut and pilot recruits, who range from Sergeants to Colonels. I can't remember everyone's name, because we have so many now, but I don't know if I like it or not. New blood is always tough to welcome, and now they're crowding the Rec Room too much. I did meet one good fellow though. He's a Lt. Colonel, a real fun guy. He's a flight surgeon, and I want him as my new in-flight surgeon for future missions. I forget his name right now, but I'm sure it'll come back.

Oh yeah, I also got another letter from Valentina. It's nice to hear from her, and I'm frustrated that we now need censors to check mail. This whole military thing makes no sense to me. We now have tanks parked in the KSC, and ICBM trucks set up near the VAB. I'm getting really worried. It's not right. 

Spoiler

August 30th, 2018

Hey Jeb. It's Val again. Heh, Val. I forgot you used to call me that. All the guys here all calling me V. I guess it's easier to say. I just wanted to let you know how I'm doing. It's been a tough 7 months, and now I'm regretting going on active for a few reasons.

First, all we're doing is running recon missions over random parts of Kerbin. The other day we went over [CENSORED] and we looked at nothing, really. All we saw were some [CENSORED]. I don't get it. Here's how one of my missions might go tomorrow:

First, we load with full munitions. I mean, everything. We load Missiles, full cannon ammo, and [CENSORED] guided bombs. Then we take off and fly towards our recon point. Halfway there, we meet up with a tanker and practice fueling mid-air. When that's done, we swing it into overdrive and make a fast pass over the recon point, where my Gunner Monitors the location with his radar scope. If there's nothing, we return to base. Sometimes we're so weighed down with fuel and munitions it feels like I'm flying a bus. 

Anyway, I've been promoted to Captain, "yay!" and all the men respect me more. I'm the only female kerbal in my squadron, and the third highest ranking of all members. I have a great ground crew, and an awesome group of friends. I nicknamed my fighter "Starduster," because when I think of you I think of the stars and your rocket-rides. Heh heh. 

Is the military still keeping you from flying missions? 'Cause if they are I'm sorry. I wish I could tell you why you can't go up there anymore, but I'm as puzzled as you are. 

Wish I could see you!

-Val

P.S.

If you want to write back to me, Email me, don't actually write. I'm constantly moving around, and it's easier for me to just use a computer. Here's my address:

[email protected]

Spoiler

To: Val ([email protected])

Subject: Hey there Val!

Hi there Valentina. It's Jeb. I decided to write back just to remind you I'm not dead and I did get your letter. I don't have much time, so I'll tell you what's been going on next Email. See you later!

-Jeb

See you all in the next Journal entry.

-Jeb

September 4th:

Today was...Interesting. I decided to take an early walk around the KSC to think and clear my head. As I left the astronaut Complex, I found Bill sitting in his convertible. I asked him what he was doing, and he told me that he was going to hop over to Kerbin City for a few days. Jumping on the opportunity, I asked if he had gotten leave from Gene. He smiled and said that he had racked up enough time in-flight and doing various jobs that he had earned one week vacation. I realized since i had gone up into SPACE, I must have more than one week. I turned and asked if I could tag along. Bill looked at his watch, let out a short sigh, and told me to hurry up and get ready.

Before I ran in to get packed, I asked why he wasn't taking a plane. The young engineer glanced at his hood and said:

"V12 engine; 120 top speed; convertible."

I chuckled.

"Alright Bill. We'll take the car."

I returned to the Astronaut Complex. As I ascended the large staircase to the floor where my room was, Bob bumped into me as he left his dorm. "Whoa! Didn't see you Jeb. Sorry... Where are you off too?"

I was surprised that he knew I was leaving. I hadn't even told Gene yet. "Wha...How did you know I was leaving?"

Bob showed a grin. "Heh. You have a dreamy look in your eyes and you were sprinting when I bumped into you. I haven't seen you this excited since before Val left."

I laughed and slapped him on the back as he we walked together. "Bob, you shoulda become a detective. That was some good reasoning. Yes, I am going somewhere. I hope..."

Bob stopped and looked at me. "What do you mean, you hope?"

I opened my apartment room and rummaged in the dresser. After looking for some time, I procured a small, green notebook. Handing it to Bob, I tapped the cover.

"That's my timesheet. Apparently Bill has one week vacation time, and I think that because I've been to space, I should have more than one week."

My friend glanced at me and then his eyes went to the paper. Flipping through it, he whistled slowly. "Jeb, you have more than a week. When was the last time you checked this?"

"I...Don't actually remember."

He picked up the notebook and turned it towards me. "36 days vacation. Jeb, you should go to Kermansk. Go see the world. Get a hotel and go swimming."

I put the book away and chuckled. I would love to go to the beach city of Kermansk, but I had given my word to Bill. So, after explaining the situation to Bob, we said goodbye and I packed my suitcase. After 20 minutes, my phone rang.

"WHERE ARE YOU? I have reservations at a restaurant tonight at  9:30! It's 5:04 Right now...It takes at least 3 hours to get there. Hurry...UP!"

Bill hung up. I began laughing. Bill could never be patient. After explaining where I was going to Gene, who expressed that I shouldn't be cooped up by the military all the time, gave me the go-ahead. I bounded down the steps and out to the car, happy to be leaving. I threw my suitcase in the trunk of Bill's car, and we tore out of the parking lot towards open highway. The drive was excellent, with the occasional military vehicle lumbering by on the opposite side of traffic. We arrived in Kerbin City at 8:45, and after spending 20 minutes showering and un-packing, we once again jumped in the convertible towards food. 

At 11:00, we left at closing time. We had just spent two and a half hours talking.

I am tired and slightly drunk. Thank God Bill drove. See you soon Journal. 

-Jeb

September 5th:

This morning Bill wanted to go to the beach, but I told him to go ahead. I had heard great things about Kerbin City's air and space museum, and I thought it would be funny to pop in and see what they were doing with the displays. As I approached the museum, I noticed a banner welcoming a new exhibit, titled "Space and air combat in war, a collection of modern combat weapons and aircraft. Limited time only."

I figured this would be a good exhibit to see, so strolling in, I got a security check, and signed 3 autographs while in the security line. I smiled. At least these people liked spaceflight. I had met some folks who didn't like that we were going towards the heavens. They all complained about "space junk," and nuclear missile satellites. 

The main part of the exhibit was the capsule that I rode in on my first sub-orbital flight. I looked over it intently. More people kept asking for my autograph or pictures with me next to the capsule. Some of the more interesting artifacts were samples of rock from meteors, or pictures of other planets. There was a really cool display about the Jool system, and my favorite thing was about the planet Laythe. Laythe is a Kerbin-like planet with clouds and a large ocean. I want to go there. Hopefully the KSC will send a mission in the future. 

MY favorite thing about the museum was the fact that they had bios next to the picture of the "original four," Valentina, Bill, Bob, and myself. It was fun to read what they thought of me, and that's where I got the most photo requests. I took a selfie of my photo counter part and myself. 

I can't wait for tomorrow. 

-Jeb

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.