How can I choose which antenna to transmit data

I have a mobile processing lab near duna and lots of antennas that I brought when docking on a station. When transmitting science, mobile processor lab uses a DTS-M1 antenna so it takes about 10+ minutes where I have to wait since time warp doesn't affect it unfortunately, and I have a bunch of 88-88 antennas as well which have much higher bandwidth. Right-clicking on antenna gives me the option to transmit all data using that antenna, but I want to keep some experiment results for further analysis. How do I tell my station to always use 88-88?

image:9mxsnh4.png

Edited by MuhsinFatih
strikethroughed wrong info!

I'm not sure that the "transmit all science using this antenna" menu option does what you think. I don't think it transmits all your science right then.

I think it is actually the answer to your question? I think what it does is reset that antenna to being your permanent default antenna.

So, what I would recommend is to save your game carefully. Then select that menu option. See if it has bad immediate results. If so, switch back to the savegame. If it seems to do nothing, then try transmitting ONE report -- and see which antenna gets used.

I tried it before, it does send all data on the ship (checked just now to make sure. It does).

Oh wait, I just realized that time-warping bug when transmitting data is fixed! whoa I really waited that time for nothing :P Anyways, still the issue of using wrong antenna is there. Any help appreciated

Edited by MuhsinFatih

5 hours ago, MuhsinFatih said:

How do I tell my station to always use 88-88?

AFAIK, a ship will always use the 1st antenna you put on it back in the VAB/SPH, and right-clicking on the antenna and selecting "transmit data" transmits stuff you want to keep without giving you a choice in the matter.  Therefore, your options are quite limited, but it can be done.  The options are:

#1.  Using KAS/KIS, have an EVA Kerbal remove all the lesser antennae and leave only 88-88s attached.  This IMHO is the preferred 

#2.  Move all the data you want to keep form their experimental parts into a detachable crew pod.  Then undock that pod, switch back to the main ship, right-click on the 88-88, and "transmit data".  But this only works if you haven't comingled experiments you want to transmit with experiments you want to keep in the same pod, because an EVA Kerbal takes everything stored in the pod.

#3.  Edit the ship in the save file so that the 88-88 is the 1st antenna listed in its parts.  However, editing the save file is not recommended, so be sure to save a backup beforehand.

9 hours ago, MuhsinFatih said:

so it takes about 10+ minutes where I have to wait since time warp doesn't affect it unfortunately

Little secret: physics timewarp does affect antenna transmissions. If you can't get it to use the right antenna, it should at least let you cut down the over 10 minutes transfer time to under 3 minutes. :)

14 hours ago, bewing said:

I'm not sure that the "transmit all science using this antenna" menu option does what you think. I don't think it transmits all your science right then.

As @MuhsinFatih points out... it does.  As I learned to my sorrow once, when I tried to use it to "continue transmitting the thing I just tried to transmit but got interrupted due to electricity running out", and it cheerfully trashed all my precious science that I had laboriously gathered.  ;.;  I've always hated this option, it's easy for people to trigger either accidentally or without realizing what it's going to do.  I wish they'd either get rid of it, or re-word it to "Transmit All Science On Vessel", or put up a warning dialog, or something.

Pretty sure there's no way to pick which antenna does the transmitting; I believe the game's implemented to just "start iterating through antennas until one that's not otherwise occupied is found, and then use that".

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if much of this ends up changing when 1.2 hits and telemetry becomes a thing.  My understanding (which may be wrong, I don't work for Squad and therefore don't have any more inside information than you do) is that different antennas will have different ranges, so I assume that they'll have to do some tinkering with the antenna-selection logic:  i.e. they'll need to find an antenna that has the range to transmit what you want.  No clue exactly how they'll implement it, though.

13 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Little secret: physics timewarp does affect antenna transmissions. If you can't get it to use the right antenna, it should at least let you cut down the over 10 minutes transfer time to under 3 minutes. :)

I started playing when timewarp didn't affect transmission, just realized now it does :D Thanks anyways :)

17 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

AFAIK, a ship will always use the 1st antenna you put on it back in the VAB/SPH, and right-clicking on the antenna and selecting "transmit data" transmits stuff you want to keep without giving you a choice in the matter.  Therefore, your options are quite limited, but it can be done.  The options are:

#1.  Using KAS/KIS, have an EVA Kerbal remove all the lesser antennae and leave only 88-88s attached.  This IMHO is the preferred 

#2.  Move all the data you want to keep form their experimental parts into a detachable crew pod.  Then undock that pod, switch back to the main ship, right-click on the 88-88, and "transmit data".  But this only works if you haven't comingled experiments you want to transmit with experiments you want to keep in the same pod, because an EVA Kerbal takes everything stored in the pod.

#3.  Edit the ship in the save file so that the 88-88 is the 1st antenna listed in its parts.  However, editing the save file is not recommended, so be sure to save a backup beforehand.

1: painful but makes sense :)

2: still painful and makes sense as well :) 

3: Even more painful :D:D

But all these are good ideas until squad resolves the problem, so thanks.

7 hours ago, Snark said:

As @MuhsinFatih points out... it does.  As I learned to my sorrow once, when I tried to use it to "continue transmitting the thing I just tried to transmit but got interrupted due to electricity running out", and it cheerfully trashed all my precious science that I had laboriously gathered.  ;.;  I've always hated this option, it's easy for people to trigger either accidentally or without realizing what it's going to do.  I wish they'd either get rid of it, or re-word it to "Transmit All Science On Vessel", or put up a warning dialog, or something.

Pretty sure there's no way to pick which antenna does the transmitting; I believe the game's implemented to just "start iterating through antennas until one that's not otherwise occupied is found, and then use that".

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if much of this ends up changing when 1.2 hits and telemetry becomes a thing.  My understanding (which may be wrong, I don't work for Squad and therefore don't have any more inside information than you do) is that different antennas will have different ranges, so I assume that they'll have to do some tinkering with the antenna-selection logic:  i.e. they'll need to find an antenna that has the range to transmit what you want.  No clue exactly how they'll implement it, though.

Well, you got me an idea, I am a developer maybe I can at sometime develop a mod to allow transmitting with a specific antenna (If I can find time for it in my super-busy life right now :D ). I might not be able to do so as well so don't take this as a promise :D. If another mod developer is reading this, I am ready to pass this honor to him/her :D

Thanks everyone for help. Have fun!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.